Notices

Sunroof conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof conversion?

IM a JDM *****.. lol, and i was thinking about trying to pull of the glass top converion, but dind't realize it was sooo expencive.. 8 bills just for a cut glass top? damn, well.. so i was thinking, instead of having the non see through roof, how difficult would it be to insert glass in there, and say, have the cabin be exposed to sun all the time? im not driving it daily, i just really hate the stock sun roof.. any idea's?
Old 11-21-2003, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sunroof conversion? (Built B16A)

I wonder why people don't just try and fit a longer aftermarket sunroof on their car. My girlfriend used to have this C230 with a "panoramic sunroof" which was essentially a glass roof.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sunroof conversion? (FourthGenHatch)

i'd rather have t tops in my Rex, like a pimpin mini NSX lol
Old 11-21-2003, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sunroof conversion? (gomer124)

I think convertible and ttop crx's are the ugliest thing ever IMO.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Sunroof conversion? (FourthGenHatch)

The reason for not going with a longer sunroof is teh simple fact that if you ever forget taht its open once and open your hatch, your sunroof is screwed. open the stock sunroof all the way and then open teh hatch all the way. Its designed as large as it can be.

If you think about the glass roof don't forget that 8bills is just the parts, and its probably going to be something about the same to have it put in unless you can do it yourself!
Old 11-21-2003, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sunroof conversion? (dilbert)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dilbert &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you think about the glass roof don't forget that 8bills is just the parts, and its probably going to be something about the same to have it put in unless you can do it yourself! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wouldn't it be possible to have a glass shop custom cut a piece of glass for the sunroof if you bring them the old steel piece as a template and then have it tempered for a lot less than $800?

Then you could have custom tint/clear options too if you're going to all the trouble.

Or maybe the glass sunroof from the Civic Si be made to work (with a lot of work)?
Old 11-21-2003, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sunroof conversion? (dilbert)

I Disagree with the sunroof getting messed up if you leave it open and then trying to open your hatch. I have an ASC glass sunroof on my DX that is bigger then the stock Si sunroof, It opens the exact same ways as a normal si one. I have had mine fully open so many times and I can open my hatch with no problems.

Ill take some pictures and post them so you can see..

Mig
Old 11-21-2003, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Sunroof conversion? (Silver_Rex)

well I believe the $800 was for a full glass roof, not just a sunroof panel. the problem with making a glass plate that will work for the sunroof instead of the metal is that it would have to be quite tiny. But yea, I think you could probably get one done somehow, I don't think its worth it though.

I would like to see the pics of the larger sunroof in a crx.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sunroof conversion? (CRXMR2SM2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXMR2SM2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wouldn't it be possible to have a glass shop custom cut a piece of glass for the sunroof if you bring them the old steel piece as a template and then have it tempered for a lot less than $800?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats exactly what i was getting at.. it would be different. now.. the 8 bills on the glass top, would be essincially that.. a 6 corner cut glass top... and yes, ide have to weld it on, and do alot of body work, but it would be worth the effort, if maybe it was say.. 3 or 4 hundred. 8... throw me a bone here... but ide like to get glass insetead of that old funky roof.