Notices

shifting without clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting without clutch

how do you shift gears not using the clutch without like grinding the **** out of the tranny? some guy said that the only thing you need the clutch for is getting going, after that you dont need it.... i tried shifting without it, i moved the shifter a little bit but im too scared that im gonna like blow my tranny or something, do u pick up speed faster or something if u dont use the clutch?
Old 11-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: shifting without clutch (Bjorn20)

Old 11-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do it all the time at the track..You have to match the rpms perfectly..If you dont you'll grind the **** out of the tranny..I learned this from my father ,,he did it all the time when he use to drive a 18 wheeler..
Old 11-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to match the rpm's and it will fall right into place.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:14 PM

I have only seen it done in an old school VW Bug, and it was noisy as hell with grinding and nasty sounds like that. The theory goes that as long as you match RPM with speed and gear selection, it shouldn't be a problem. But have you ever tried to pull out of gear in higher RPM and it resisted quite a bit? It will resist ALOT while trying to get into gear, even if the RPM is somewhat matched to the vehicle speed and gear selected. This procedure is meant only for those emergencies where the clutch is not available due to some mechanical failure, honestly I would rather have my car towed that F up the transmission with a stunt like that.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shifting without clutch (88 Crx Si)

I heard you first have to put it in reverse atleast going 60 mph then just put it in third gear without the clutch.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: shifting without clutch (Type SH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type SH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I heard you first have to put it in reverse atleast going 60 mph then just put it in third gear without the clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I though that was the way to honk the horn with your head?
Old 11-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shifting without clutch (VegasEFHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VegasEFHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I though that was the way to honk the horn with your head?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That use to be the way if your car was built pre 1976.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type SH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I heard you first have to put it in reverse atleast going 60 mph then just put it in third gear without the clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Works all the time i do it every once in a while when i feel like doin' crazy stunts
Old 11-10-2005, 05:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type SH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That use to be the way if your car was built pre 1976.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ya learn somethin new every day
Old 11-10-2005, 05:23 PM

um.. lol how do you know when ur rpms match your speed

another reason im asking is cuz now i just got challeneged to race a i-4 chevy s10 5 speed. its my friends, and ive ridden in it before, and its not that fast, but all these guys are saying its gonna kill me. and the only things that i got on him is weight (i think anyways) and that im gonna have to be able to shift like a ***** in order to beat him (60 hp engine isnt gonna go a long ways)
Old 11-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bjorn20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bjorn20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">um.. lol how do you know when ur rpms match your speed

another reason im asking is cuz now i just got challeneged to race a i-4 chevy s10 5 speed. its my friends, and ive ridden in it before, and its not that fast, but all these guys are saying its gonna kill me. and the only things that i got on him is weight (i think anyways) and that im gonna have to be able to shift like a ***** in order to beat him (60 hp engine isnt gonna go a long ways) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just gotta know your Honda
Old 11-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (88 Crx Si)

It's not really that hard..just gotta try it out. It's not gonna mess up your tranny any more then missing a gear is, well if you dont force it in when grinding.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Touching My Member

crazy stuff, my uncle used to do it in his 1979 Porsche 911. i'll ask him how he did it because i remember being in the car once and he didnt grind at all
Old 11-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (swifty4u)

just think though, once you do F it up,...it's time for a swap. Get rid of that little engine.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: (doitdub)

haha true man, but i dunno if i wanna dump in every penny i have to make my little 4 cylinder faster or to save up for some car that actually knows what horsepower and torque is
Old 11-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bjorn20)

why does this question always pop up every few months, only to get answered like it takes some kind of mystic **** to do it? is there some tv show telling people it is cool and i just keep missing it? i feel stupid answering this, but it is getting annoying.

here is a very simple way to understand what is going on-

drive in 2nd- you're going to keep going the same speed for all of this. look at the rpm you are at. shift normally into 3rd. now look at the rpm. remember both numbers.

from 3rd, put it in neutral without the clutch. rev it up the the rpm you were in when you were in 2nd, and once it is there, put it in 2nd gear. to get back in 3rd, put it in neutral, let for the revs to drop to the right speed, and put it in 3rd. after doing that you'll understand how to match revs in either direction. works the same in every gear, and at all rpm's- just gotta match engine speed to transmission for the gear you want to use. no high mysticism involved.

matching revs is good practice using the clutch or not, especially if you are trying to use driving methods that actually will make you faster, like heel-toeing.

if you still cant figure it out, try the 3rd to reverse, honk the horn with your head, and put it in second method
Old 11-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i can do it in my crx with but not in my girl's type s. its all about rev matching.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Re: (88crx-si)

Back when I had my stock HF it had a shift light, its funny because I could shift without the clutch without any problems when the shift light came on... but like a few people said it's "risky business."
Old 11-12-2005, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JaredMonkey)

I shift without the clutch every once in a while, but just under regular driving no racing. Now in a dumptruck or semi truck you shift with out the clutch all the time, but the desiels are easier to rev match, and the trannys are a little bit tougher
Old 11-12-2005, 05:43 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (slow hatch)

My cousin taught me clutchless shifting in my old '85 Porsche 944...kinda fun...but Porsche parts arent cheap lol.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have done clutchless shifting on my Honda... motorcycle.
the concept is the same in/on any vehicle.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KFBhonda)

just run a gear to about 3k rpm and right when you let off the gass pull the shifter back or forward towards the next gear. while the rpms are dropping apply a steady pressure to the shifter and it will slip into gear. i had to do it when my clutch cable broke.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KFBhonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KFBhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have done clutchless shifting on my Honda... motorcycle.
the concept is the same in/on any vehicle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Clutchless shifting on a bike is NOTHING like clutchless shifting in a car.

On a bike, pull up on the shifter a tiny bit and snap the throttle closed for a 1/4 second.

On a car it take a little more skill, matching revs and all.

It is not the way to race, it is the way to kill transmissions.

If you wanna shift to win races, you need to learn how to FLAT SHIFT.

Shifting quickly while never lifting off the gas but still using the clutch.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JohnnieChimpo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JohnnieChimpo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Clutchless shifting on a bike is NOTHING like clutchless shifting in a car.

On a bike, pull up on the shifter a tiny bit and snap the throttle closed for a 1/4 second.

On a car it take a little more skill, matching revs and all.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah well it may be different but the CONCEPT is the same. the bike's revs climb AND drop very quickly, so when upshifting on a bike with a close-ration tranny, the revs drop in the "1/4 second" that the throttle is closed, and then the revs are matched and it slips right into gear.

Quick Reply: shifting without clutch