Notices

Seat pans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat pans?

i'm really wanting to keep my stock 90' honda crx si seats, but the driver side seat pan's bolt busted off and now the seat pan itself is torn apart. obviously i need to replace the seat pan.
its impossible to find a crx here, let alone with seats in them.
i was wondering what seat pans from other seats would possibly fit onto my stock si seats, even if it just means a lil fabrication here and there.

thanx guys
Old 05-05-2010, 06:56 PM
$cat /dev/urandom

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Seat pans?

the 90-91 pans from the crx or civic will work.. the rails are all screwy on the other cars..

Incidentally, i have '92 civic seats/pans in my 91 right now, with a small steel 90 degree angle bracket holding it all in. It is annoying as hell because they are like 2 degrees out of line with respect to the center of the steering wheel, and you sit up way higher, so i STRONGLY recommend getting only the 90-91 pans/brackets.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmmmmm.....so there's no other seat pans i can use that i can mock up, besides the 90-91crx and civics?

thank you for the help! i'll start searching more and more!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 PM
$cat /dev/urandom

here is the problem. Most of the 89-91 civic seat pans are set up like this

|___|__

where the | portion is where the seat back bolts up. the 88 hf and 92+ just about everything else seat pan looks like this:

|_____|

so to reiterate, the seat pans from most other hondas won't work because your seat back will line up like this:

|~~|~~
|_____|

unless you buy the whole seat and swap the seat pan and the seat back frame together as a unit, and then your slider brackets won't line up. Trust me.. i am in that hell right now trying to put eg seats in a 91, where the seat backs don't line up. PITA.. so i either need to get creative with the seat back mounting, or find a ef seat back that i can scavenge the frame from.

summay: just get another ef seat to do the swap that is in your year range.. it will make life a lot easier.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sanimalp
here is the problem. Most of the 89-91 civic seat pans are set up like this

|___|__

where the | portion is where the seat back bolts up. the 88 hf and 92+ just about everything else seat pan looks like this:

|_____|

so to reiterate, the seat pans from most other hondas won't work because your seat back will line up like this:

|~~|~~
|_____|

unless you buy the whole seat and swap the seat pan and the seat back frame together as a unit, and then your slider brackets won't line up. Trust me.. i am in that hell right now trying to put eg seats in a 91, where the seat backs don't line up. PITA.. so i either need to get creative with the seat back mounting, or find a ef seat back that i can scavenge the frame from.

summay: just get another ef seat to do the swap that is in your year range.. it will make life a lot easier.
check this.. https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/90-honda-si-2756057/
Old 05-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ahhhh sweet!!!! thank you thank you!

now i just gotta search for a seat now *sighs*
Old 05-07-2010, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

civic and crx seat pans arent the same so you only hope is finding a crx seat(driver) i have one that i was going to put in my civic but i found civic si seats instead
Old 05-07-2010, 02:08 PM
$cat /dev/urandom

If the guy had a welder, he probably wouldnt be asking the question. The problem is that one of his seat pans is torn. My statement that "only another ef seat pan from the same year range will work" is correct.

The thread you linked had more to do with the sliders, which are transferrable only in their year ranges, so he cant just get another EF seat outside of his year range and bolt up the sliders, because the bolt holes don't line up. you can weld them, sure, but he already said he doesnt have a welder.

In order for xTimmyX to use a seat from another car, he would first need to get a new EF seat pan that fits his car, and then use that new pan to swap the pan from the other seat. he asked if he could just use another pan, or if it had to be an EF pan, and without a welder, the answer is "yes, you need another ef pan that matches your model year range".

cliffs notes: inter-EF slider swap will not work, as pan and slider holes don't line up amongst the years. XTimmyX pan is toast, so he needs a whole new pan from his same year to replace the one he has. Other pan years won't bolt to his sliders.