Notices

Seat belt chime randomly activates...relay??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Seat belt chime randomly activates...relay??

1991 dx hatch, made in Canada (no power seatbelts, no airbag, just door mounted belts)

Normal chime operation I've known it to be for the 3 years I've owned the car: put key in ON possition, the warning lights flash and chime dings a few times if one or more seat belt is unbuckled. This will also happen during driving if anybody unbuckles their belt (like when I drop someone off but leave the engine running).

Here's what happens: I'm driving along minding my own business wearing my seat belt with or without a passenger wearing their belt, with or without the sensors even being hooked up when suddenly the passenger side fasten seat belt light (located up by the rear view mirror) starts blinking, and the chime starts dinging, only this time it continues on and on and on. IT DOESN'T STOP UNTIL I TURN THE KEY BACK TO ACC MODE.

Things I know: This happens randomly while driving with or without the seat belt buckle sensors under the seat connected. So I usually leave them unplugged because I'm an adult and I can remember to wear my seat belt, thanks mom. I tried plugging them back in, but still happens randomly while driving. Even with them connected it randomly happens regardless of actually buckling the seat belts.

Things I've tried when the dinging happens: plugging/unplugging sensor, opening/closing doors, buckling/unbuckling seat belts.

NONE of this works, I have no choice but the turn the key back to ACC and then to back to ON. After doing this the noise is gone (unless sensor is connected and belts aren't buckled, then it chimes a few times and goes away, as per normal intended operation) BUT!! It will come back, possibly in 4 seconds, possibly in 4 hours, I don't know there's no rhyme or reason to it. It happens more on long trips (duh, ignition is on continuously for longer periods of time) So I suspect a relay or something grounding this circuit because as I understand it the buckle sensor breaks connection to ground when buckle is inserted.

Does anybody have the wiring diagram for this circuit? I know it can be dealt with other ways, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks! and sorry it's so long and repetitive but I don't want misrepresent my problem.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Seat belt chime randomly activates...relay??

I have the same problem! It is the most annoying thing in the world!! Did you ever figure it out??
Old 04-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the wire that comes out the bottom of the button side (may be grounding out ) or the sensor / switch may be worn out =/
Old 04-02-2014, 02:35 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same issue for years for the random chime, I believe I noticed that it stopped if I tugged on the door as if shutting it tighter and it would stop until I let go. Afterwards I adjust the door catch/latch so that it would hold the door tighter to the body and it solved my issue.

Now for it going on and on and on after unbuckling with the engine still running, I never got that sorted.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem. Didn't know if it was 'door open' or 'seat belt'. It's either a bad contact with that little switch on the car from where the door closes or the contacts where you connect the seat belt. I worked the door switch about a dozen times and forcefully pushed the seat belt in the connector a dozen times. Don't know which one made the chime go off for no reason, but it stopped.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My crx was doing the same sort of thing. I 'fixed' mine by removing my mirror and the connector from the chime and putting the mirror back. That chime was hella annoying.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Glowicki
My crx was doing the same sort of thing. I 'fixed' mine by removing my mirror and the connector from the chime and putting the mirror back. That chime was hella annoying.
Did the same thing with my EF. Dam thing would go off for no reason and whenever I have passengers get in the car it would go nonstop even with their seat belt on.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its your door latches, deep inside the door latch there is a switch that tells the seatbelt system a door has been opened. Forget the L switches, they just control the dome light.

You can unplug the connectors to the inner door latch, this will prevent the car from disabling the seatbelt lock. The way our seatbelts were designed , the correct way to use them was to leave the belt buckled all the time and when you open the door you just get out. Thats why we have the "Emergency release is located on buckle" plate. This was Hondas way of getting out of using airbags in the early 90's. So when the door opens the car would disable the seatbelt locking mechanism. When you are moving and the car thinks the door is open it warns you with that annoying beep. You have options:

1. Unplug connector to inner door latch, car will always think door is closed
2. Adjust door striker so door pulls in further activating the latch switch.
3. Take car to Honda dealer and use the lifetime warrenty on seatbelts, I did this and got all new buckles and seatbelts, over $900 in OEM parts
4. Dont just unplug the connector under the mirror, your seatbelt lock actuators may still be disabled, except now you dont know it, till your flying through the windshield at 70mph.

Do fix this though, if those belts dont lock in the event of an accident you would have wished you fixed this.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and next time it happens, pull in hard on either door, and see which door makes it stop.

I have a door latch from a 90 si FS, if you end up wanting to retain the original systems operation.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it were a door sensor, wouldn't the "open door" dash light come on? Cause it doesn't. The only thing that comes on is the seatbelt light next to the mirror. It flashes along with the beeps.