Notices

seafoam did i do it right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seafoam did i do it right?

i seafoamed my d16z6 yesterday. and it didnt smoke as much as people made it seem and like i saw in the videos.

i pulled the brakebooster vacumline while my car was warmed up and added sefoam slowly (1/3 pint) then shut it off. it smoked for like a couple revs after i runed it back on and then stopped, is this what everyone else encounters or just me?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: seafoam did i do it right? (highrev1987)

Non of my cars ever smoked as much as I have seen online, just a little smoke after you start it up and rev a little and only for a few minutes afterwards...
Old 10-11-2006, 09:23 AM

+1 when i seafomed my ej1 i figured id have the scrape the **** off neighboring houses. but it wasnt soo bad. im guessing the interanls were REALLY BAD on the vids i watched.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (labtec)

mine smoked like a ****, It even smoked for a week, I guess it depends how dirty your engine is ?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:52 AM

Default Re: (JUN.)

seafoam? what are you guys doing with it? ....never heard?
Old 10-11-2006, 02:21 PM

Default Re: (B6tizzleHatch)

you have to drive it aorund at high rpms so it all clears out, my car smoked a ton then it eventually stopped and i did another 1/3
Old 10-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iphatcrxi)

yea, mine only smoked at high rpms, and i didnt even notice anything at idle.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:44 PM

yeah seafoamed my obd0 dohc zc dirty as heck.... maybe it smoke that bad as these vids if the internals are dirty
Old 10-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

links to said videos?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Default Re: (G0crxG0)

it'll varry, but if its smoking it's working, from those vids they must have been foul as hell or even prepped for the vid.

I've had one motor smoke like a pipe but rest no where near that.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:25 PM

What exactly does a seafoaming do and where can i find out how to do it?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philkehn)

If you use a whole bottle and stall/turn off the engine while its still pouring in then let it sit for 20min+ then start it up you'll be good.
I've done at least 10 cars this way, thick neighborhood filling clouds every time lol

The key to making it work is not just running it though the engine, its letting it sit with the engine full of it THEN burning it through.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bob_760)

Remember to change the oil soon after doing seafoam, and check out your plugs too.

Its great stuff.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:03 AM

Default Re: (fireant)

The bottle says to use 1/3 of it and let it sit for 5min or so...I'm not looking to make my motor smoke a ton..I'm also not going to peg it in high rpms just to make a smoke fest...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bob_760 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The key to making it work is not just running it though the engine, its letting it sit with the engine full of it THEN burning it through. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Also this is a little misleading i can see someone just pouring it into the engine...it needs to be sucked in throught a vac line that spreads it evenly to the cyl. if you pour to much to quickly you will end up with some bent rods
Old 10-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Loserkidwac)

Hi All... Here is how to do it and what it does. For the interested.

Cleans the carbon deposits from the Intake manifold, backs of intake valves and the combustion chamber. If used correctly it will help your emissions a great deal.

As for the use. Use a small vacuum line attached to the Dashpot port on the IM. Use the vacuum line like a straw and suck the Seafoam in slowly. During this you will need to keep the rpms up(2500 or so)And it will smoke like a bugger.
Suck a 1/3 of it in and turn off the motor for ten minutes. Start the motor and reapply again and turn off the motor for ten more minutes. After this hop on the freeway and let it burn out.
Then change the oil. You can run it in the oil for a little while, I would not go over ten or so miles
I do not recommend using the FPR line as it will increase your fuel pressure and dilute the Seafoam.
Do not use the brake booster as you can suck to much of it in at one time and do damage.

By removing the carbon deposits you will have a better running motor because...
1) You will be getting the proper/equal amount of air into each the combustion chamber.
2) By removing the carbon from the combustion chamber you will lower your combustion temps, thus lowering your Nox output. This can also eliminate ping caused by pre-ignition.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thesmogman)

Someone on here asked where to buy it. I bought it at NAPA but I'm sure others have it. Cost about 8 bucks. I have a B16 and used a small vacumm line behind the IM. Used about 1/2 and then let it sit for 30 minutes. Then I ran it for about 20 miles. The first 10 it smoked like a ****, but not as much the last 10. The amount of smoke you have will depend on how much carbon deposits you have.
I'm going back this weekend to try and pass inspection and will let you know the outcome. I failed by a couple hundred in the Nox output a 2 weeks ago.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:35 AM

I henstly don't agree with your method but thats my opinion, if you follow the directions on the bottle it tells you how to do it properly, use the brake booster vac line or the PCV valve line and dosen't say anything about keeping the rpms up, also "sucking it up like a straw" seems missleading and dangerious, I've used this on several cars different makes and models and have always had optimal results and never had a lot of smoke...

I use:
1/3 in my oil right before I change it
1/3 through my PCV vac line
1/3 poured into the fuel tank

I do the this a few times a yearbut it isn't nessecay if you do regular oil changes and mantience

Old 10-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (REDBARON)

I have a stock 91 Civic hatch DX, the 1.5L non vtec. I could use this on my motor correct? I'm gettin close to 150k miles. Just changed the oil but the reason I asked is alot of people stateing they have b-series d-series etc. So is it ok to run on my D15?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:40 AM

Default Re: (dynamitezz)

Can be used on pretty much any car, yes you can use it on your D15...you can get it at some auto parts stores I think more and more are picking it up, it was about $5-$6 at my local Pep Boys
Old 10-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, you can use it on any vehicle. I was telling how I use it because I have told people to use it this way on numberous cars, and then I have smogged them. I know that it works this way and that is all I am saying.

Didn't you suck it through the PCV line? Like a straw? ??

It doesn't say to keep the rpm's up, but how did you get it into the engine then? It starts sucking it in then stall's the motor. Do you keep restarting it? It works like you use carb cleaner on a carb'ed vehicle. You have to raise the rpm's up or it will stall.

And last, I use that port because it is in the middle of the IM so it spreads out to all cyl's. If you use the brake booster which is on one side, most of the Seafoam would go to those cyl's (1 and 2) That is my theory on which vac port to use.

I personally would not use it in the engine oil as it could possibly harm your seals.

I am sure there are more methods to use it too. To each their own!

Old 10-12-2006, 08:15 AM

Word, no offense intended when i think of sucking it up like a strw I picture you setting the vac line into the bottle...

I use the PCV since its a big port right in the center of the plenium...I squeze the vac line to control the flow of the sea foam and also to keep the car idleing properly, yes a big vac leak will cause the car to stall but if you control it works fine

Used it in my oil right before i changed it several times with no negative side effects, it also says it is safe to use and I'm sure they would not advertise that method if it wasn't safe
Old 10-12-2006, 08:20 AM

I swear by this stuff. I take a shot of it every night to clean my GI track.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:28 AM

Default Re: seafoam did i do it right? (highrev1987)

dude with sea foam you put 1/3 in ANY vaccum line then the other 2/3 you put directly where the oil goes just take off the oil cap and pour that **** in there then start up your car and slam on the gas....it'll bog down for a second but once you hit higher rpms your **** will be smoking like a ************ then just sit there and keep revving between 2 1/2 grand to 4 grand...just up and down give it gas then let off give it gas then let off for like 3 mins then after that drop ur hood then take the bitch out and mash the **** out of it...if you did it like i said you will see a BIG difference sounds much nicer too after your done
Old 10-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: seafoam did i do it right? (JdM_RACeR07)

there is 3 ways to use seafoam, for 3 different effects.

1. Fuel Tank- Cleans fuel system and fuel delivery components.

2. Oil Cap- Cleans valves, frees sticky lifters, cleans deposits of carbon inside the head.

3- Vaccume Line Of Choice (all listed above are acceptable)- Cleans Carbon deposits from pistons and from cylinder walls, also helps restore proper combustion numbers due to clean cylinders.

In my experience ive used it in all 3 places and for $6.00 to clean your engine as well as it does, its worth every penny.

SEAFOAM! +1
Old 10-12-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: (G0crxG0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G0crxG0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">links to said videos?</TD></TR></TABLE>

me too. please

Quick Reply: seafoam did i do it right?