Notices

Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil in transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil in transmission

Red Line Synthetic ShockProof Gear Oil provides unequalled protection for high-performance differentials and transmissions which are heavily loaded or which see shock-loading. This revolutionary lubricant is completely different from conventional lubricant technology in several ways. The viscosity characteristics are significantly improved. Gear teeth need high viscosity at high temperatures to prevent metal to metal contact and a low viscosity when cold to reduce fluid friction. The ShockProof chemistry significantly reduces the thinning effect of high temperatures.

LightWeight can be rated as a 75W140 Gear Oil, but has the lower internal fluid friction of an SAE 30 motor oil.

Anyone used it in their transmission before? Opinions?
Old 04-30-2005, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil in transmission (MtnCRX)

I can vouch for shockproof being a very good gear oil. I would not use it in a honda tranny.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil in transmission (Runnerdown)

why not? what would be a good fluid to use for a honda tranny w/ an lsd?
Old 04-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i never used that one but i used the redline mtf 10w30. it worked wonders.

im running GM syncromesh friction modified in my new quaife tranny, but redline felt really good as well
Old 04-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil in transmission (90civichbsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90civichbsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i never used that one but i used the redline mtf 10w30. it worked wonders.

im running GM syncromesh friction modified in my new quaife tranny, but redline felt really good as well</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you still use 1.9 qts of the GM syncromesh friction modified? whats the difference between the syncromesh and the friction modified?
Old 04-30-2005, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil in transmission (90civichbsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90civichbsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GM syncromesh friction modified</TD></TR></TABLE> thats what u want -
Old 04-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MtnCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you still use 1.9 qts of the GM syncromesh friction modified? whats the difference between the syncromesh and the friction modified?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a bump in the night
Old 05-01-2005, 05:11 AM
something different

i'd run it in a honda trans if somebody gave me some.........

it is equivalent to a sae 30 though, so technically it should be great. redline makes good stuff too
Old 05-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MtnCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

do you still use 1.9 qts of the GM syncromesh friction modified? whats the difference between the syncromesh and the friction modified?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i ran 2.2 quarts b/c it was for a b series, but you'd run 1.9 for a d. the difference in them is that the friction modified is made to better protect against transmission wear.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have more opinions on the redline stuff?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pennzoil and the GM syncromesh fluids are too thin for Honda trannies. They will have a good shift feel but hydrodynamic protection will not be what it should be.

" ... I used the Red Line MTF 10W-30. It worked wonders."

There's no such oil. Are you thinking of Red Line MTL? That's a 70W-80. I have used MTL as well in Hondas and I love the stuff ... especially in the winter.

In warmer areas, you'd be better mixing a little of the heavier Red Line MT-90 in with the MTL. MTL is just a touch on the thin side for Honda trannies.

If you call or e-mail Red Line, they will recommend their synchromesh fluids (MTL & MT-90) over any of their other gear oils in a syncromesh transmission.

Or you could simply use Specialty Formulations MTL-P:

http://www.specialtyformulatio...5.htm

The secret is the fluid being properly friction modified (made less slippery) to make it more synchro-friendly. Synchros need a certain level of friction to engage each other properly.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very informative post, Bror Jace.

Old 05-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Redline will never touch any of my transmissions. It has been proven to cause premature wear inside transmissions.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil in transmission (90blackcrx)

would it be unwise to mix syncromesh w/ honda mtf?
Old 05-03-2005, 07:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MtnCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would it be unwise to mix syncromesh w/ honda mtf?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldnt mix diffrent shizle, Ide mix diffrent WEIGHTS of the same product, not totaly diffrent manufactures. I know SAE is a standard, but some have additives, and if those additives are mixed they might cause a bad combo.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:35 PM
MEAT PATTY

Default Re: Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil in transmission (pogiTSI)

I just changed my tranny fluid today. I have a clutch type LSD. I was using gm lsd additive before with lucas gear oil and it worked pretty good no problems. Today I tried out a ford lsd additive with castrol 80-90 weight gear oil and I'm seems to be good, smooth shifts.
I don't buy the kaaz gear oil because I can't afford it. broke college kid.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil in transmission (goforbroke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by goforbroke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I don't buy the kaaz gear oil because I can't afford it. broke college kid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm kaaz has its own gear oil? what about quaife? do they have their own or is there a kind they reccomend?
Old 05-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil in transmission (90blackcrx)

"Red Line will never touch any of my transmissions. It has been proven to cause premature wear inside transmissions."

A local friend and I have used Red Line MTL & MT-90 for hundreds of thousands of miles in several vehicles, mostly Hondas.

I'd like to see your source for that 'proven' info.

Is it Mista Bone? He's a pretty bright guy but has an unnaturally strong bias against Red Line's fluids for some reason.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil in transmission (Bror Jace)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A local friend and I have used Red Line MTL & MT-90 for hundreds of thousands of miles in several vehicles, mostly Hondas.

I'd like to see your source for that 'proven' info.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Try BG SyncroShift and you will notice a BIG difference over Redline. I guarantee you will never use that Redline crap again.

90blackcrx is correct. Do some searching on the net. You will find info on how crappy Redline gear oil is.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil in transmission (MadtownSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MadtownSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Try BG SyncroShift and you will notice a BIG difference over Redline. I guarantee you will never use that Redline crap again.

90blackcrx is correct. Do some searching on the net. You will find info on how crappy Redline gear oil is.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
i was looking at that stuff... whats the difference in bg II and bg I ?

as others said i did notice the syncromesh was a bit thinner than the redline that i had previously used
Old 05-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The hits agianst Red Line are nothing more than rumors and nonsense.

Often it's some kid who doesn't know how to drive or is otherwise abusing his car and when he was a problem ... it must been Red Line's fault!

I know a chemist who makes his own synthetic formulas and he said that his #2 choice (after his own) is Red Line.

Can anyone find a viscosity rating for the BG Syncro fluids? I bet they are too thin for Honda trannies. No one should use this stuff until they have a viscosity (thickness) measurement and they know it's at least pretty close to Honda MTL.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All I have is my own anecdotal evidence from my first L3 tranny...
There was nothing wrong with my transmission. And I'm super gentle on it.
It was due for a fluid swap so I got the Redline MTL. It felt great...super smooth shifting. But inside 5k, the input shaft bearing started to grumble.
Coincidence? Maybe...
Old 05-13-2005, 11:30 PM

Default REDLINE FLUID

WHICH ONE DID YOU USE ? HEAVY OR LIGHTWEIGHT ? SOMEONE PUT TOGETHER A LIST OF ALL THE DIFERENT FLUIDS SO WE CAN ALL SEE HOW MANY DIFFERENT ONES THERE ACTUALLY ARE? I HAVE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF SOME OF THE ONES U GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT ...
Old 05-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REDLINE FLUID (SMD racing)

davens: "... my first L3 tranny... there was nothing wrong with my transmission. And I'm super gentle on it. It was due for a fluid swap so I got the Redline MTL. It felt great ... super smooth shifting. But inside 5k, the input shaft bearing started to grumble. Coincidence? Maybe..."

Yeah, I bet it was a coincidence.

I've put over 220,000 miles on 2 Hondas/Acuras running MTL in both for 90% of the time. One ('90 Integra) ran another 90,000 miles and then I lost track of it. The other ('95 Civic) I sold to a neighbor. She has around 170,000 on the clock and it's still going strong.

A life-long friend of mine has babysat another 'fleet' of Hondas in his family for a decade and a half and uses nothing but MTL in all of them (all stickshifts). And being the same age as me, his mileage totals mirror mine closely.

No transmission related problems in any of the half dozen or so cars involved despite some approaching, and even exceeding, 200,000 miles.

A lot of guys here swear by the Pennzoil and GM syncromesh fluids ... and they are far thinner than MTL. This is where you'd expect some people to have input shaft failures.

If you want to run something better (IMO) than the Red Line fluids, you could opt for Specialty Formulations MTL-P:

http://www.specialtyformulatio...5.htm

It is formulated to be a direct replacement for both Honda MTF as well as the 75W-85 GL-4 gear oil specified by Nissan in many of their models. However, in northern regions, the MTL-P might be a bit thick on cold mornings, despite it being a 100% synthetic. You might want to opt for their much thinner SynchroGlide.

Quick Reply: Redline Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil in transmission