Notices

Radiator Overflow Tank is cracked, should I flush cooling the system, car is not overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator Overflow Tank is cracked, should I flush cooling the system, car is not overheating

I bought a 91 DX Sedan about a week ago and noticed the Radiator Overflow was empty, I then noticed it was cracked. I ordered a new Overflow Tank tonight and am wondering what I should do when replacing it?

The car is currently not running HOT. The temp gauge moves up like normal and was in the middle the last time I drove the car far. The fan also kicked on so I guess my Tstat is working. I am just not sure if I should mess with something that isn't broken.

I am thinking maybe I should replace the tank and add some radiator fluid to it and the radiator?

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Radiator Overflow Tank is cracked, should I flush cooling the system, car is not overheating (DC

I would just add the coolant to the overflow and make sure the radiator is full and there is no air in the system. If the coolant looks old, then you might want to flush it out.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator Overflow Tank is cracked, should I flush cooling the system, car is not overheating (DC

Might as well flush the fluid. Who knows when the last time it got new fluid. Preventive maintainence is always a good idea.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sgallagher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Might as well flush the fluid. Who knows when the last time it got new fluid. Preventive maintainence is always a good idea.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I opened up the radiator cap and it was pretty nasty, so I think maybe giving it a flush and changing the fluid might be a good idea? I just hope I don't start getting overheating problems if I change the fluid etc.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

flush it and use a coke bottle as your overflow.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sgallagher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Might as well flush the fluid. Who knows when the last time it got new fluid. Preventive maintainence is always a good idea.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I opened up the radiator cap and it was pretty nasty, so I think maybe giving it a flush and changing the fluid might be a good idea? I just hope I don't start getting overheating problems if I change the fluid etc.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DC4 ENTHUSIAST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I opened up the radiator cap and it was pretty nasty, so I think maybe giving it a flush and changing the fluid might be a good idea? I just hope I don't start getting overheating problems if I change the fluid etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do it its easy, cheap, and vital to engine health. Also while your doing that switch out the old hoses, thermostat, and cap.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you wont have overheating problems, just make a 50/50 mix (+,-) and make sure you have the air out. Im sure theres a thread about flushing. good luck
Old 10-30-2008, 08:50 PM

I cleaned the cap off and it cleaned up pretty well. I ended up buying an overflow tank off Ebay for $15, good deal IMO. I threw it on yesterday and added some distilled water to it and the radiator, the radiators fluid wasn't super nasty but wasn't real clean looking either. I am going to flush it tomorrow with some distilled water and hopefully that will clean it up a bit, then add the coolant I picked up today. The hoses look pretty fresh, not sure if they have been changed recently but their not in bad shape. I am going to change them out eventually though along with the thermostat like suggested, hopefully next Spring and get the A/C working around the same time.

I ended up driving the car around 150 miles today and it did excellent. Both fans kicked on when I was driving home so the thermostat is working and the temp gauge went up to the middle and hung out there the whole trip so I think the cooling system is working well and the car didn't feel hot at all.