Notices

Project thread ::Turbo Dan:: Sir front end on CRX + how-to on installing ITR wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (msinsky14)

the side skirts and rear bumper (the rear kit is just a lip that attaches to the stock bumper) is made by a company called xenon. i believe it has been discontinued for years
Old 06-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i really really like your car, very nice!! keep up the good work!! looks amazing... even though i dont exactly like the back bumper... but still its something diff.... not cookie cutter, well, some of it. lol.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very clean
Old 06-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by msinsky14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what lip kit is that!!!!???? </TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.jdmshit.com/parts/exterior/CRXlip/
Old 06-03-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: (B16CRXT)

that crx is ******* sick! keep up the great work!
Old 06-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KillSwitch)

Awesome . I love clean red EF's .
Old 06-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (1989CivicSi)

What rear lip is that? It looks great
Old 06-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Project thread ::Turbo Dan:: Sir front end on CRX + how-to on installing ITR wheel (freshly boos

Good clean start
Old 06-03-2007, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SiR front and lip look MEAN.

-Chris
Old 06-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo Dan)

looking good man!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive decided to complete this thread.
the car was crashed summer of 2008, was rear ended after stopping for a red light, the car folded in on itself and was stripped and crushed.

now i have moved onto another crx, you will likely see if you already havent a build started for it as well, trying to get back to where i was before the crash.

here are some pics a couple weeks before the crash fresh out of the body shop.

this will end the project to this crx

Old 05-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project thread ::Turbo Dan:: Sir front end on CRX + how-to on installing ITR whee

I decided to continue this thread rather than start a new build, because that red CRX is the inspiration to this build and this new car is dedicated to that CRX....

after accident:

Old 05-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project thread ::Turbo Dan:: Sir front end on CRX + how-to on installing ITR whee

Old 05-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

5 minutes before it was towed away:

Old 05-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New CRX:

Old 05-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

forgot to touch on the specifics of the vinyl wrap.

Here is the original thread devoted to the wrap:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-acura-28/%24350-paint-job-poor-mans-paint-job-my-first-wrap-2494223/

to be clear, i am not a business, i dont do this for a living, and i dont own a shop and i cannot work on your car.

i did this in my parkade by myself and bought my own material. i attended a seminar to learn the skills to do this.

i paid $350 for 54&quot; x 12 yards (36 feet) of white car wrap vinyl as well as clear laminate made by Oracal
bought here in calgary from all graphics supplies. (i lucked out and they had a partial roll in stock, usually they only stock full rolls)

so 350 for the entire thing, no bubbles, car wrap vinyl is specially made to avoid bubbles 100%.

anyway, i can answer q's on the process but i dont do this for a living.

prep includes clay bar and wiped down with alcohol and water.

still to come - power windows, rear seat install, dohc + turbo, and suspension.

to this

and final product

its got some ugly rust on the corners of the fenders, the vinyl is temporary until i can afford to fix the car correctly (cut and welding in new rear wheel arches)

Last edited by Turbo Dan; 05-22-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

roughly took 25 hours of labour over a weekend and two evenings

here are some unexpected additions to the project
after all, its winter and what else is there to do but search the web for deals on rare parts?

these came from the UK...
i got a package deal from a 1.5x that was being parted out
velvet door cards, power window switches, harness, motor, arms, and a jdm rear seat

for this bundle i paid 270$CAD

the rear seat had some black duct tape on the top of the seat back covering some nasty tears in the vinyl. I dont have any before pictures, i wish i would have remembered to take them but i didn't.

so anyway, there is an upholstery shop 10 feet from where i work so i brought them the seat back and had them re-do it.
while it was stripped they gave me the metal frame as it was covered in a thick powder layer of rust over the entire thing.

so i took it to the shop and removed all the rust with a wheel and some spongy sanding pads until i had all the rust removed. next i coated the frame with flat black rust paint to try and slow the process so it doesn't come back too soon.

turned out ok, the paint can i got i think had shitty paint in it because it left a bit of a rough texture, and spattered quite a bit, but it got the job done so i guess who cares.

if anyone knows where to get plastic release ***** that go on the top of the seat back let me know because i need two of them, as you can see from the pictures..

these i got before xmas, paid about 35USD for brand new oem rear flaps with hardware.

Today i finally got around to doing the wiring to do the conversion from 2 bulbs to one single h4h bulb in my sir headlights.

tried to give more of a crap than i usually give when doing wiring, took my time and did it right imo.

pictures show the process it takes to make them covered with this odd snake skin like loom, i had to use solder wire to make a temporary brace to hold the stupid thing together in a compressed state while i made the connections.

(couldnt use the headlights in a picture, too bright in such a dark parkade)
Old 05-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, the factory paint remains, if you were to remove the vinyl it would look like the first pic in this thread

its no different from a clear bra, only its not clear and it covers all the paint on the entire vehicle

so anyway, starting fresh, a bit more knowledge.

i was at home depot getting some wall hooks and i stolled past the chair leg protector section and i noticed some black plastic plugs...so after further investigation (i had crx on the brain already) i decided i was gonna buy a pack and give it a shot as a replacement collar from the large one i had already.

so i bought them (pack of 4 for about 2.50$ (a quarter the price of the oem honda ones i bought previously)) so i couldn't lose, i had 4 now so i could **** up two of them and still be golden!

so i went to work, first test fit showed they were too tall by about an 1/8th of an inch, so i cut off a bit (already had a line)
next they fit nice, so i proceeded to drill a pilot hole with a drill and then dremel out the hole to make it large enough for the shaft to fit in.

no real issues here, quick and easy, fit great and here is the finished product, they are the exact same size as the actual jdm crx ones and they look OEM.

who would know they are from Home depot for 2.50$?

so forget everything i posted in that first diy
Old 05-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

updates with pics?

a picture to show off my newly mounted wing - painted trim black.
very subtle accent to the car.

and a sneak peak at 2010

Old 05-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally got around to making a build thread, and i ran out of posts to edit and add pictures.

but here are a few pics of my initial fender flare test fit with the wider stance.

I just need to lower the car about a foot before I can start to actually place the flares and prepare to trim, mount and cut the underfender.

It may look a bit ugly now, try to save the final crits on the flares for when the car is lowered and flares are trimmed.

right now it doesn't look like much but I have a feeling the car will all come together once its on the ground.:burnout:

Now I've gotta spend all winter pondering whether I wanna widen the rear to match and either try to get the tires to clear the fender or get flares for the rear as well.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Winter update:

The pics speak for themselves.

If anyone wants details on any of the process post up and I will add a small writeup.

Details:
ARP Studs 100-7701 - GM - 7/16&quot; - 20
Pulled the hub with a slide hammer
Exactly enough thread on the stud after it goes through the spacer
Brembo blanks (70$ each)

Enjoy:

I'm still saving for all the mods I listed in my previous thread, but I need a part time job before I can go ahead with all of it.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they are H&amp;R 25mm spacers

I also forgot to add this update to my build:

My old sparco from the red CRX I'm getting ready to prep for the new car.
Im thinking about remaking the custom rails to raise the seat up a bit as it sat very low in the red CRX, almost too low.

Won't be installing this gem until I get a cage installed.

Right now i'm doing everything I can to dial in enough money to roll out spring time with a slammed crx with a nice wide stance.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:

I got it all together and nothing seemed to be too out of the ordinary, nothing that really screamed damage.

So I will just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Just waiting on tuner lugs now...

The 89s1 wheel stud garage once again came through with a win. That vice of yours saved me so much work its unreal.

Pics (most didn't turn out because of the poor lighting...)

^^ almost looks like paint, am-I right?
Honda-Tech Member

I've started to collect the angles of tube i need to mock up my custom pipes for the turbo charge air.

6x 90 degree elbows, 1x 45, 1x 30, 8x 15, and 1x 25

this should give me more than enough to mock up the entire system, mark and tac weld in place, followed by a re-fit and a final bit of adjustments before it's handed over to a competent welder.

Now that i've got my fog lights installed and working I've gotta try to maneuver the charge pipes around the fogs..... not good
this also means I will have to likely re-locate my washer fluid holder.

The lugs are booked into the machine shop tomorrow along with the mandrel tubes which will all be finished by friday when I can finally install my wheels and begin the charge mockup.

All that is based on everything going as planned, which never happens.

cheers

washed them off in the tub:

Ready to start marking to have them sliced up:

Stay tuned, tomorrow I should get the 'slices' back.

^ I have lots of free time - It's amazing what you can accomplish as a single male....

Anyway, the updates may slow now that I blew my wad at a machine shop for some petty work...
It's even hard to type out what it cost, but I had 8 lug nuts machined down to fit in my spacer, and I had 5 U bends cut up into various bends and angles.

The machine shop charges 100$ per hour, they spent 2 hours on this.
Plus shop materials and enviro....

omg I almost ****.
but the book keeper girl was hot so I couldn't argue with her

Final update on the front wheels:

So I came across another dilemma that made things even more difficult for me....

After I got my freshly shaved lugs back from the machine shop, I installed the spacer, fit perfectly, everything was great. Then I added the wheel and the tuner lugs I had bought for the wheel so that I wouldn't score the inside of the lug holes with the socket....

I threaded the lugs on all the way and it bottomed out on the stud!@!@!1
So I needed a lug that was an 1/8-1/2 longer for my extended studs.

And since my thread is 7/16-20 gm thread I cannot buy the usual ricer open ended tuner lugs, so I was stuck.
I decided instead of taking them back for a refund and sourcing a custom set on ebay, i got a nice big drill bit and went to the shop and used the drill press to drill out the caps on the lug nuts.

I don't have any pictures, but the base of the drill press has a hole in it, which the lug nut cone fit perfectly into, so I used a spare stud and locked it down from both ends using a spare acorn open ended lug for the spacers to hold it at the back.

So I drilled out the caps in two step (medium drill bit, then large drill bit)

This did the trick and soon enough I was able to thread the lugs onto the stud as far as I wanted, even past the threads.

So I got home after supper and went to work, installed the spacers on both wheels and mounted both wheels with my new open ended tuner lugs (one of a kind)

Oh how happy I was to finally have wheels bolted to the car and not loose in the parkade.

here are some pictures to help you visualize the story.
Up next?

Cut, route, and measure, and tac weld up my intercooler piping.
Then I need to look into buying an intercooler with inlet/outlet mounted at the bottom of the end tanks so that I can avoid any sharp angles since the pipes will be coming from basically as low as the bumper front lip.

I will be attempting to retain my fog lights in this process and :. I will be trying to route the pipes below the fog lights.

If anyone has another suggestion, I'm open to ideas!

Honda-Tech Member

Started to slowly place and tack weld pipe starting at the TB and moving first toward the airbox behind the front bumper.

These are the two pipes that will give me a start, I can't tack them together until I go back and rotate them properly in to place later tonite and then bring them back to work with me on friday to tack them together.

This will complete the first leg, arguably the easiest leg.

Total of 4 legs (TB to Airbox, Airbox to Outlet IC, Inlet IC to washer area via engine compartment, and lastly, washer area to turbo.)

1/4 is almost complete (mockup wise)

the hardest parts will be the two intercooler legs.

pics

(first time using a welder to tack or otherwise.)
baby steps!

Quick Reply: Project thread ::Turbo Dan:: Sir front end on CRX + how-to on installing ITR wheel