Notices

Front speaker installation problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front speaker installation problems

I did read a post from 2002 on this issue, but there wasn't a definitive answer. I have a pair of Rockford's that I just put in the doors of my 91 CRX HF. Problem is the magnet hits the door. I have the speakers angled a bit just to fit so i'm loosing all of my bass. After finally getting them to stay put (at an angle) I thought, okay, so i'm loosing all of my bass... I can deal with it. No.... another problem. The window hits the magnet too. What does everybody do to fit in some nice 6.5" speakers?

Any help would be appreciated

Edit: Only reason I posted it here instead of audio/video/security is because it is CRX specific.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:34 AM

heres how....get rid of the Rockfords, get a crutchfield magazine and look up the right depth to the correct speaker.

step 2....go and buy new speaker with correct depth.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Re: (Kryogen)

Thats the more expensive, easy way out. I don't like expensive and easy
Old 05-24-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Re: (jfrye)

well here goes opton 2 i just thought of...

Try and get another set of the Speaker cups and cut out all but the ring and kinda use it as a spacer so theyre won be a big gap like washers, and just use long screw to hold it in., this should work but it might not , i dont know if the speaker grill will hit it or not, but if i remember right the speaker grill is like 1"-1 1/2" away from face of speaker....so you might have room.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kryogen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kryogen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well here goes opton 2 i just thought of...

Try and get another set of the Speaker cups and cut out all but the ring and kinda use it as a spacer so theyre won be a big gap like washers, and just use long screw to hold it in., this should work but it might not , i dont know if the speaker grill will hit it or not, but if i remember right the speaker grill is like 1"-1 1/2" away from face of speaker....so you might have room.</TD></TR></TABLE> if the speaker grill doesn't fit, maybe that can be modified a bit too...or you may need to go without and fab up your own
Old 05-24-2005, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Front speaker installation problems (jfrye)

I had the same problems with my Infinity speakers. First they wouldn't fit in the OEM housings. So I Dremel'd the **** out of them so they'd fit flush.
Then the window hit the housing......

and i said **** it
Old 05-24-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Front speaker installation problems (mahatma)

put some washers under the screws to space it out
Old 05-24-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Front speaker installation problems (mahatma)

I did same thing. I upgraded from Boston 5-1/4 comps to Pioneer REV 6-1/2 component. I used a big plastic spacer, but the factory grill wont fit anymore. I'm currently working on some kind of cloth grill to cover the and avoid peering eyes.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Front speaker installation problems (team hatch-n-it 91)

If you do this, the front/ rear waves will cancel each other out = no mid/bass.

Try a 1/4 MDF ring for the mid. That should do the trick and allow the factory grill to cover it.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.crutchfield.com
Old 05-24-2005, 11:55 AM

Infinity Reference components here, I had to cut the baskets, then shave some off the ring in order for the surround on the speaker to clear the grille, but they dont hit the window, sound great, and are cheap.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spankjelly)

I had no problems clearing my windows.

I got a nice set of JVC 4 Way speakers(the magnet casings are fat as hell too) and all I did was cut the plastic brackets and use shorter wood screws to mount it. Perfect fit with perfect sound. I did the same with the rears. Just use a nice fat pair of wire cutters and you can cut the plastic neatly instead of using a razor or hacksaw.....its safer too.

Here are the rears... 6X9 5 Ways.....had to cut the speaker covers to make them fit but they dont vibrate or anything. Then I stuffed the space behind them with polyfill. That made the sounds alot tighter and cleaner. With this setup I don't need a subwoofer because it packs plenty of clean highs and lows without the excess speaker box weight.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JesseCRX)

im putting infinity reference in my doors this weekend, along with a motor and turbo .... but the speakers wont be used for a while, as i will be listening to the symphony under my hood
Old 05-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put the bigger speakers in the rear, no window to hit it back there....or just figure something easy to do, wont take much time to find a solution
Old 05-24-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: (Mefain)

Here are my speakers, fit perfectlt. some pioneer 6.5 -=D

im gettin some 6x9's in the rear by the end of this month, begginning of next month. -=D might add in some subs too.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:04 AM

Default Re: (explictness)

I have the Soundstream Van Gogh 6,5" up front, and just made some custom fittings out of 22mm (17/22") medium density fiberboard. Works like a charm, but because of all the rain up here one of them kinda began to get a bit swollen up

(Sorry for image size)

Old 05-26-2005, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by explictness &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here are my speakers, fit perfectlt. some pioneer 6.5 -=D

im gettin some 6x9's in the rear by the end of this month, begginning of next month. -=D might add in some subs too.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have the same 6.5's in the front and some matching 6.9 pioneers in the rear. sounds good but I'm gonna add a 10 in. sub for a little more bass once i get around to installing the alarm...
Old 05-26-2005, 06:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JesseCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had no problems clearing my windows.

I got a nice set of JVC 4 Way speakers(the magnet casings are fat as hell too) and all I did was cut the plastic brackets and use shorter wood screws to mount it. Perfect fit with perfect sound. I did the same with the rears. Just use a nice fat pair of wire cutters and you can cut the plastic neatly instead of using a razor or hacksaw.....its safer too.

Here are the rears... 6X9 5 Ways.....had to cut the speaker covers to make them fit but they dont vibrate or anything. Then I stuffed the space behind them with polyfill. That made the sounds alot tighter and cleaner. With this setup I don't need a subwoofer because it packs plenty of clean highs and lows without the excess speaker box weight.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It almost looks like a 10in speaker will fit in there, ponders........
Old 05-26-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: (doitdub)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doitdub &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have the same 6.5's in the front and some matching 6.9 pioneers in the rear. sounds good but I'm gonna add a 10 in. sub for a little more bass once i get around to installing the alarm... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hell yeah, i was gona do the same. 2 6x9's and a 12 for bass. All pioneer set-up. -=D how much did the 6x9's cost ya?
Old 05-26-2005, 06:38 PM

I got my alpine type-R to sit in the front....and they rattled the **** out of the door...So i had to put the speakers above the Door panel and cut the OEM Cover.....it looks alright....but theives can see them perfectly....and there's always the risk of having the grill rip the speaker out! those type-r's are fucken heavy.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JesseCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

and here i thought all along i was the only one crazy enough to cut up the back to fit 6x9's
Old 05-26-2005, 08:38 PM

in that picture above, i hope you nod something to fill those holes, will make the sound a lot cleaner.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:51 PM

I went to school for car audio and alarms I'm a wiz when it comes to 12volts. All you have to do is go to a local car audio place or better yet go to a Best Buy near you. They sell speaker spacers in all sizes and they only cost $7. I no cause I work for Best Buy part time
Old 05-27-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Front speaker installation problems (shogun23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shogun23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I went to school for car audio and alarms I'm a wiz when it comes to 12volts. All you have to do is go to a local car audio place or better yet go to a Best Buy near you. They sell speaker spacers in all sizes and they only cost $7. I no cause I work for Best Buy part time </TD></TR></TABLE>

$7 speakers = $7 quality
I used to have an insane system in my crx before I came to my senses. I went through a ton of different speaker combos and if theres one thing about crx fronts, its that you can't fit a decent speaker without modifying the coverplate and spacing the speaker to be further out. The magnet will always hit the window guarenteed on a quality speaker. Memphis had a nice component set in 2002 that worked well with a little spacing. It was not a separated component but rather a mid with a pivot tweeter in the center.

The rears in a crx will always suck for bass, as you really have no seal like a trunk can provide... but they will still probably overpower the fronts. Honda actually had bass tubes for an option in japan... they connected to the rears and went further back into the plastic wall to create a sealed enclosure.

I used to run Memphis components in the front with Memphis separate components in the rear. 500 watts divided amongst them and signal was processed through a clarion equalizer/line driver. The head unit doesn't really matter as all it did at this point was read a cd and produce a signal, but for the record it was like the 3rd JVC model that could read mp3s off a pc cd. The fronts were too quiet and the rears never ever could get that punchy bass that most people like.

The deeper bass was from 1 audiobahn 1205q in a 5 cu ft tube with a 45hz port. Earthquake D2 amp running around 5000 watts with a 1 farad cap and two optima redtops bolted down in the back. The tube fit with a lot of measuring and luck.

The point of all this is... the best sound that ever came out of my car was from the stock speakers with the aftermarket cd player that came when i bought the car. Build some bass tubes for the rears and get a low power 10" sub and you'll be set. Its just too damn hard to make the fronts sound better

The sub that I had was fun, and hit slightly higher than 150db at its very best, but I took it out less than 6 months later, too much of a liability. I don't even have a radio anymore. If anyone needs a 5 cu ft tube that fits a crx hatch let me know, its been sittin about 2 ft from my computer desk for 2 years now, makes a nice coffee table
Old 05-27-2005, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bagpipe goatee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bagpipe goatee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in that picture above, i hope you nod something to fill those holes, will make the sound a lot cleaner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't know what he did, but i baffled mine.

Quick Reply: Front speaker installation problems