Notices

popping and jerking steering wheel ever since swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping and jerking steering wheel ever since swap

ever since i put my b16 in my crx si theres been this loud popping and knocking sound when i turn. but the axles are fine i thought that was the problem at first so i changed them 3x. well the camber was off because the extra weight in the front.
it eat through my tires on my 15's so i grabed my old 14s and throw them on. but now the knocking noise happens has u drive straight holding the wheel at like 45degs and if ur driving it wont make the noise if ur off the gas or in gear coasting and it will drive straight. if u give it some gas it want to go right hard like within 20 ft ur across 4 lanes of traffic andhead for the ditch on the over side of the street. if u let off the gas it pops and stops pulling when it pops the steering wheel jerks. i'm thinking steering Rack but i don't know, it didn't make the noise with my sohc motors would weight in the front put stress onthe rack.

please help i'm not driving it because its so bad.

thanks
Old 07-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: popping and jerking steering wheel ever since swap (si90rex)

I would check the wheel bearings. How low are you? You may want to raise your car a little. What knuckles are you using? Did you remove the little dust shields on the back of the bearings?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: popping and jerking steering wheel ever since swap (CRX Toad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would check the wheel bearings. How low are you? You may want to raise your car a little. What knuckles are you using? Did you remove the little dust shields on the back of the bearings?</TD></TR></TABLE>

stock si suspension, and yes i toke the dust shields off.

o and if u hold the wheel over because its pulling to the left u can't get it to move intell u let off the gas and it just knocks while ur holding it.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump anyone i need help

Modified by si90rex at 1:40 PM 7/25/2006
Old 07-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:28 PM

well, sounds kinda like an alinement problem. you might check your tie rods and double sheck to make sure your axels, knuckle, etc...are all in good shape.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: popping and jerking steering wheel ever since swap (hatch91JDM)

got it aligned lasted week still no change axle are fine
Old 07-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

somethings loose. engine mount bolt, subframe or what not. could also be a cracked subframe.

no ones going to figure it out over the internet. you have to get into your car and figure it out yourself.

just inspect everything possible. tighten every bolt. shake everything.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: popping and jerking steering wheel ever since swap (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">somethings loose. engine mount bolt, subframe or what not. could also be a cracked subframe.

no ones going to figure it out over the internet. you have to get into your car and figure it out yourself.

just inspect everything possible. tighten every bolt. shake everything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nothing is loose u can't shake any thing every thing has been inspected, i have been trying to fix in for 2months i'm in the middle of trying different spindles and then i will try the tranny. a friend of mine said that if the car that the motor came out of was hit hard that an axle could have been shoved in the tranny and mess up the diff. or the diff could be locked together with a spull i taking that as a last resort. the noise didn't have intell the swap so some things wrong and i have put a b16a in another crx and a ls in a civic hatch w/ bad upper control arms but there just fine. and yes i understand that its hard to fix a problem like this over the internet but i was just hoping that some one else had the same problem
Old 07-26-2006, 09:14 AM

One thing that makes it a bit easier to diagnose problems over the internet, is why you post with clear, properly spelled and punctuated English. Your posts are rather difficult to read.

It sounds very much like your CV joints are binding. Has your car every been hit or tweaked in the front? What mounting kit are you using?

Understand that even though 90-93 Integra axles are what everyone uses, they are a touch long and in some cars can cause binding.

I highly doubt your transmission has a spool in it. I run spools in my off road trucks, they don't make noise like a Detroit would.

My bet is you are binding your axleshafts. Get a set from raxles.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:16 AM

Default Re: popping and jerking steering wheel ever since swap (haggar)

BTW, poorly built engine mounts also might be placing the engine in a crappy spot, also causing axle binding.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes the car has bent hit on the driveside were the lower signal is it s was like that went i bought it. i put new spendals on it today new lower ball joints, wheel bearing that type of thing. no change ur right about it sounding like an axle is binding up but what r raxles??? its a Y1 tranny at first i had the y1 intermediate shaft in then i change it to a ls one little change. and i use azracemachine mounts and i have done 3 swap and use the same mount every time those car a still running and driving perfect.

thanks
Old 07-26-2006, 04:17 PM

jack the front of the car in the air. lock the steering wheel and grab each rim on the front and try to shake each one hard if it nocks then you may have a bad rack if you look up in there when it makes the noise.. this is how i figured myne out.... if not check your struts
Old 07-26-2006, 05:11 PM

http://www.raxles.com/hybrids.aspx

They make axles specifically for the swap, which I believe are shorter than the integra axles..

You might have a tweaked chassis.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its not the rack check i jacked up the front end and when i tried to shake the wheels it wouldn't make a sound, i even use a shorten 15lb hammer it was in my dads tools so i hit the tire nothin no noise. ok question how come i have used integra axles in the other swap and nothin happened like this. is a 88-89 wider in the front than a 90-91. i do understand what ur say about the chassy i might need to take it to a frame/body shop, and have them look at it. but it still drove fine with the d series in it. so the axle might work but before i buy apair i want to make sure it not the tranny. i have a YS1 with no 3rd gear i'l put it in friday. i need to put a new starter in has will and i just figure its worth a shot.

thanks again
Old 07-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

funny ? i have the same problem
i used 88 integra axles and it went away
Old 07-27-2006, 12:05 PM

check your tie rod ends. i had the same pop and i was pissed..but thats all it was. 35 bucks from meyers auto parts
Old 07-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM tuning702)

88 integra axle u mean for the d16 DOhc?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM tuning702 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your tie rod ends. i had the same pop and i was pissed..but thats all it was. 35 bucks from meyers auto parts</TD></TR></TABLE>

tie rods maybe but dought it worth a shot.

i'm going to try tranny first just cause my Y1 is leaking bad i'll pull it and put new seals in it. use a Ys1 for now tho.

thanks i'm pulling the tranny 2 night if it stops raining.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (si90rex)

ok so i pulled the tranny out and i had a problem with the driverside axle hiting the crossmember that bolts to the lower control arm. i don't think it should touch at all so maybe that the problem cause by accidents befor i owned it. putting new tranny into tonight just to make sure thats not the problem. thanks for sticking with me on this one.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (si90rex)

i fixxed the problem it was the tranny frame was not bent the diffs in the tranny are bad. it was a lsd y1 so the diffs locked when u turned