Notices

obd0 EF sedan electrical, getting frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default obd0 EF sedan electrical, getting frustrated

alright heres the situation ill break it down in symptoms and what causes them.

first of all its a d16a6 with pm6 ecu, has been converted to MPFI, i've had the car for a little over a year and this is the first problem. nothing major (except a new header) has been done to the car recently.

ok so on with the problems im having....

-dimming dash and clock lights when i press the brake pedal.

-radio keeps shutting on and off when i press the brake OR turn on headlights. then restarts after about 3 seconds.

-when i use my blinkers, the TACH GAUGE BOUNCES WITH THE BLINKERS!!

-temp gauge keeps going higher and higher as i use my power.(it will go up when i turn headlights on and press brake pedal, go down when i turn lights off)

now this is what i have replaced because i've heard these could be problems causing this stuff...

-alternator, new one is putting out 14v at idle.

-battery, new one is reading around ~13v at idle.

-under hood fuse panel (did this to replace the Electric Load Detector)

i've also unhooked the cd player completely thinking that was faulty but it wasnt the cause to the problems. i've checked a lot of the wiring both under the dash and in the engine compartment. i cannot find any lose grounds, like i said before i have never had this type of problem and all ive done is replaced a head with a 4-2-1.

now im throwing CEL's 1 and 17, sometimes 8

code 1 is for o2 sensor, this makes sense as i do not have room on the new header due to clearance for the rad fan.

code 17 is for the VSS, sometimes the speedo bounces a tiny bit, i need to take the cluster out and check it.

code 8 which shows up sometimes is the TDC sensor which is located in the dizzy, dont think i can "fix" this without replacing dizzy. but like i said it happens sometimes, not everytime the CEL comes on.

so thats about it, i have a small exhaust leak where the header meets up with the downpipe that blows directly onto my rad but i dont think this is my problem.

any help is very much appreciated as i think i have tried everything.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: obd0 EF sedan electrical, getting frustrated

wow... it sounds like there is a bad ground. but u said u checked them... bad ground at the ECU maby?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: obd0 EF sedan electrical, getting frustrated

im ruling out a bad ground, they dont just come loose by themselves, plus i've checked everywhere. im doing a partion wire tuck this weekend so maybe ill find something.

ecu is the only thing i havent checked. well i got a pg7 (86-89 teg) which is supposed to be used for the mpfi conversion for obd0, either that or the ps9 (90-91 ex).

anyways the one i got was from an 86-87 which means its vaccuum controled fuel injected, i needed an 88-89 electronic fuel injected, so it just cranked and didnt fire.