Notices

need lots of help please!!! EF civic

Old 11-30-2004, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need lots of help please!!! EF civic

Well first off I would like to thank everyone for any suggestions. Okay here is some about my Civic, 89’ four door, automatic, D15B2, I am having a few problems, which I am not sure about, my car has started to heat up, I checked the coolant and it was like two cups low,(which I filled) but nothing major. When it heats up it is under no certain conditions, such as under a load or hard acceleration. Here is the thing, the temp gage goes from normal to almost in the red zone, then after like a minute or two it drops back down to normal. I have in the last year replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong??? I am thinking of next doing a compression check to see what is up there.
my battery light stated to blink on and off, and sometimes the light would stay on till I turned the car off, and started it again. Shortly after this stated to happen, my alternator died, I replaced the alternator Everything was fine for about a week till I started to notice this horrible smell coming from my engine compartment. A couple of my friends told me that it must be the catalytic converter, but I was like hell no, cause I “free flowed” my cat like years ago, so I knew it was not that. I figured out it was the battery when I went to check the coolant one day and the top of the battery, like the little vent was venting, releasing some toxic smelling gas. I knew my battery was junk so I borrowed a battery from my friend so I could go and get a battery for my car. Well either on my way to or from the auto parts store, the battery that I had borrowed had launched one of the vent caps off and had spewed some acid around some. Now the whole time this was happening my battery light was never coming on, from my battery venting to this borrowed battery blowing it’s lid. I took the ground wire off, and make sure it has all clean, good connections, on the body and on the transmission, then I cleaned the ground on the thermostat housing and the ground from the valve cover to the body.I put my new battery in and it was working fine, everything was cool. the next day the battery light started to blink again , so when I check under the hood and see that one of the vent caps has blown off of my brand new battery!!!!I have no damn idea what is going on with it, or what to do to stop the exploding battery problem, please any ideas???
My high beams on my head lights go on and off by themselves. Like just driving down the road with low beams on, then all of a sudden the high beams flash on, sometimes they stay on for a while other times they just stay on for a second or two. I thought at first it was the switch, so I replaced the switch, and nothing changed, my high beams still go off and on by themselves. Any suggestions?? Once again I would like to thank everyone for any suggestions, comments , solutions or ideas on how to remedy any of these problems.
Once again thanks!!!!
Old 11-30-2004, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need lots of help please!!! EF civic (civic issues)

Sounds like you need a new head gasket gasket. Swap time
Have you checked battery voltage? Maybe it's getting too much voltage.
Your headlights are possessed
Old 12-01-2004, 03:00 AM

Default Re: need lots of help please!!! EF civic (eda6)

yeah i am doing a compression check tomorrow, the battery i have no idea, and yeah the head lights are possessed!!!! gotta figure this thing out tho,
Old 12-01-2004, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check for loose connections, grounds, etc.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:07 PM

heh
i know someone with that headlight prob too, then his battery died
it was funny because people would purposely go behind him and start flashing their high beams
had some angry people sluring things at him too

we changed the alt and everything seemed to be fine

good luck with yours