Notices

My review of Honda Motors Online

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My review of Honda Motors Online

I have had the worst experience with HMO and Steve, the owner. In my opinion he is a total hack and runs a terrible business. First of all, he is impossible to get a hold of and never returns call. Secondly, he always has an excuse(like "we ship 40 engines a week," or "I've just been too busy."

As far as my engine swap it shipped a week later than we said it would even though I paid 13 bucks to overnight the money order to him so it would ship on the day he said it would. The axles he sent were shot and useless except for a trade in, but I couldn't do a trade in because he sent me one axle from an ABS car and one without. He said he wouldn' t replace the used axles because they were directly off the front clip he received, don't think thats possible.

Finally my TPS was cracked and he guarantees all sensors to be intact. Mine was broken and i told him the day I got it. He said he would ship it out the next day. I called two days later to confirm and he said it was on its way. Now after countless emails and phone call attempts, I still don't have it, and it has been 5 weeks.

The only positive thing I have to say is that my engine runs, which I was actually very surprised about. PS - I have also been told that the seal in my transmission is bad and that is why my car is making a rubbing noise around turns. Just another thing to add to the list.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My review of Honda Motors Online (90-CRXSi)

That sucks. I hope things work out.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:01 PM

I hear you man. I keep wondering what everyones definition is of a clean engine. I'm going to do a write up about them after I install my engine in a couple weeks. I've definately learned alot. I got to hand pick my engine, but the outside doesnt matter at all.
Steve handed me axles and said I could use them as cores and get new ones for 60 dollars. Try like one hundred and sixty!
Valve seals were shot... Stripped spark plug hole, broken header stud (under heat shield) my bad should of seen it. Dented pan oh I should of seen this too while I was in the back of my four runner pulling the engine through. He did replace a cam cap though.. Should I say he is the bomb??? Hell no.

What I think is... you get whatever he has. No inspections are done, he just sends whatever you ask for. Im sure if something is obvious he will replace it if he has it. Otherwise " must of been damaged in shipping"

Stay tuned for my write up in mid september... He will get an email of my experience / review and a letter to his company. Im also going to post it on ALL the boards I can register to.

Keep us posted on what happens. Seems a few more horror stories about Hondamotorsonline are coming out these days. My next motor will come from IAS, or rising sun... Havent heard a bad story yet about either one.

I think the best thing HMO can do is inspect their motors thoroughly, and dont sell the **** ones. The old fashioned way of doing business.... Quality not Quantity. Greed will hurt a business.

Sorry about your problems man. There was only one bad post about HMO 6 months ago. The guy with the GSR motor. Seems to be like one or more a month now. Sad.

Rant off/

Monty

http://www.norcalcrx.org
Old 08-29-2002, 04:19 PM

Default Re: My review of Honda Motors Online (Monty)

man i am starting to dough this company. I called to order my zc last week and he told me he was sold out and to call in a week. So i called this morning and he said the motors will be in next week. He also told me that i am at the top of his list (bull ****). And now all you guys are saying that this guy's hole company is ****. So i will probly take my $$ somewhere else.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I got my swap from him and there were a few things wrong which didn't suprise me. Both the crank and altenator pulleys were broken and the axles were shot. It looked like the pulleys broke during shipping because the peices were still laying inside the plastic wrapping. I was already planning on getting new axles so I didn't worry about those. Otherwise the motor was clean and in good condition. It ran fine once it was installed. So overall I was happy. Just thought I would relate my story. Hope you guys get your problems resolved. Just one thing to remember...some of these motors are quite old and who knows what was done to them in Japan. So that is one of the things to consider when buyiing an imported engine. Again good luck getting your problems resolved.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My review of Honda Motors Online (91civic)

i purchased my motor from http://www.jspecjdm.net.. motor was received within 5 days of payment.. which i live in VA, and company is in CA.. not bad at all.. nothing broken. nothing missing.. didn't come with axles, but none of his swaps did. motor is running strong after 6 months of abuse,, i mean use.. when i popped my valve cover, golden as the day honda made it!!
Old 08-30-2002, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I guess it's hard to know what's going on with a used engine. A company should recommend a rebuild and knock the price down a bit.

I will say one thing about you West Coasters, darn lucky. I KNOW you get engines cheap out there.