Notices

Muffler sound. How to get good performance with a deeper sound.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler sound. How to get good performance with a deeper sound.

I just had a new High flow CAT installed and APC oval staright through muffler with 2.25" pipe all the way from my 4-2-1 header. The muffler is only 14" long. It sounds like a CR125 now. I definatly notice improved throttle resonse and top end power but i don't like that sound. What would be a good muffler with a deeper sound. Also keeping the performance. Or do i just need a longer muffler?

Modified by rschoener at 4:28 PM 4/24/2003
Old 04-24-2003, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Muffler sound. How to get good performance with a deeper sound. (rschoener)

get a 20inch resonator and you're good to go!
Old 04-24-2003, 07:33 AM
Down Since Day 1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Muffler sound. How to get good performance with a deeper sound. (rschoener)

2 choices, and pretty much the only 2 choices ill ever use.

Apex'i World Sport aka WS
Any RS*R exhaust.

Both compaines give you the low stealth sound cruising around, but when you mash on the pedal. It gives you the deep rumble of a good exhaust.

In my humble opinion.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Muffler sound. How to get good performance with a deeper sound. (1 point 6)

Try a resonator first. Any exhaust will sound horrible w/o one. Even the $500 systems use resonators to change the sound. Should cost less than $40 at any muffler shop.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah im going with a magnaflow. I hear they're pretty good with the tone (but never used one), can anyone back me up on this?
Old 04-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rschoener &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just had a new High flow CAT installed and APC oval staright through muffler with 2.25" pipe all the way from my 4-2-1 header. The muffler is only 14" long. It sounds like a CR125 now. I definatly notice improved throttle resonse and top end power but i don't like that sound.
Modified by rschoener at 4:28 PM 4/24/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHAHHAHAHA, thats funny. I just had a flowmaster put on my car, and i thought the same thing. I was like WTF, my crx sounds like a kx 80 now!! I have a gutted cat, do u guys think i could replace that with a resonator, would that make it sound better?
Old 04-24-2003, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Muffler sound. How to get good performance with a deeper sound. (sick hatchem)

resonator + dynomax turbo muffler...this is an awesome setup i have it on my lx only problem is, if you are one of those ricers that love the whine then this isn't for you...normal driving its very clost to stock sound but WOT it roars!! and vtec engagement whoa.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Muffler sound. How to get good performance with a deeper sound. (dingusjt)

Dynomax Turbo Muffler . I was looking at them. What size or model number could i use on a 89 civic hatch. I would rather have a deeper or quiet sound with good performance than my CR125 sound.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:29 AM

I've got the magnaflow w/ resonator setup on my lx w/ b16a and it's pretty loud. I've basically come to the conclusion that if you're going to have a high flow system then you're going to have a loud exhaust regardless of what you do. I assume that in order to have power gains you have to push more air through your engine, creating a higher rate of exhaust flow which, without a cat and with decent sized piping and a resonator, is going to make for a wicked loud exhaust. Does this make sense? This is only my personal theory and I'd love to be proven wrong so I can turn out some high HP numbers with a high flow system and still have a nice exhaust with a low, gutteral sound. My car is only somewhat modded and it's pretty loud, so I can't imagine what it's going to sound like once I get done building it up. I wish I could try a few different setups to see how my tone changes with new systems, but that's not really financially possible at this point. A friend of mine has a 95 GSR with an N-1 that sounds great but he still has his cat. I bet if he took out his cat it would be as raspy as all the other pissed off little bees that run around my town. Is there anybody out there who has a high HP car with a tame sounding exhaust? If so, what's your setup?
Old 04-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Muffler sound. How to get good performance with a deeper sound. (kappa12)

If you are looking for a quiet muffler, but want power, use a stock piping with a muffler, having a high-flow exhaust only free up about 15-5 hp anyway,-and what about the pigs, bring more attention then a donut shop
Old 04-24-2003, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Muffler sound. How to get good performance with a deeper sound. (thevtecnician)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thevtecnician &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are looking for a quiet muffler, but want power, use a stock piping with a muffler, having a high-flow exhaust only free up about 15-5 hp anyway,-and what about the pigs, bring more attention then a donut shop</TD></TR></TABLE>
Hey, that is the setup I have...stock pipe and flowmaster muffler and 2.25" on both bends...(this muffler is a regular one mounted sideways and not a canon style)
It is pretty decent as far as noise when you are not on it, but when you mash it, it gets louder. I guess I'm not really sure how much of it is intake noise, either.
-Kinda noisy while driving, but not unbearable or even annoying for me.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Muffler sound. How to get good performance with a deeper sound. (thevtecnician)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thevtecnician &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are looking for a quiet muffler, but want power, use a stock piping with a muffler, having a high-flow exhaust only free up about 15-5 hp anyway,-and what about the pigs, bring more attention then a donut shop</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, haven't you ever seen dyno shot-outs for exhaust systems? With the exception of forced induction, your lucky to get 3whp let alone 15. But yes add a resonator, they make a world of difference.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:58 AM
Prince of Zamunda

Default Re: Muffler sound. How to get good performance with a deeper sound. (G2turbo_terror)

air intake
Old 04-25-2003, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Muffler sound. How to get good performance with a deeper sound. (1 point 6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1 point 6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2 choices, and pretty much the only 2 choices ill ever use.

Apex'i World Sport aka WS
Any RS*R exhaust.

Both compaines give you the low stealth sound cruising around, but when you mash on the pedal. It gives you the deep rumble of a good exhaust.

In my humble opinion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah and pay 350$ for the world sport