Notices

Matsushita compressor clutch making rapid clacking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Matsushita compressor clutch making rapid clacking noise

When I engage the A/C, the clutch makes random, rapid bursts of the engaging "click" to where it sounds like a fast clacking noise. (Visually, the clutch seems to spin smoothly without hesitation while this is going on. Also, the air gets cold.)

This has happened on two... I repeat TWO... remanufactured compressors now, (from completely different companies.)

I figured it must be something electrical going on, so I measured the volts being sent to the clutch while the A/C is engaged, and it was a healthy and steady 14.30 to 14.32 volts. I compared this to another civic that I know is good, and got the same results.

Is it possible I've just had bad luck and been sent two piece of **** remans in a row? This trial and error with the compressors is getting expensive.

The following are brand new on the car... condenser, expansion valve, receiver/drier, and pressure switch. Also, it's been professionally charged.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Matsushita compressor clutch making rapid clacking noise

Rapid clicking is a sign of low freon or just low pressure. You need to buy a gauge set to check it.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Both times it was charged by a shop with the professional equipment.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A pro shop should have noticed the short-cycling of the clutch. It is possible that the compressor is not providing the compression for the right pressure but that would usually involve a shaft seal leak. You would see a drop in pressure and notable greasy residue on the compressor body.

There are so many factors at work here that you really need a gauge set to see what your low and high pressure readings are to make a good evaluation.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you ever want another rebuilt Matsu, btw, let me know. I have a brand new rebuilt one in my garage that I have no need for.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:08 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

did the shop just fill it or did they do the install as well?

If they did the install why aren't they fixing this issue?

I agree with sstupid though, almost always when i have dealt with the rapid clicking it was improper charge and it took a gauge set to determine that.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've done all the parts installations myself, and as far as the charging I trust my A/C guy. He's leak tested and charged up a lot of my hondas over the years... but in this case he's stumped.

He did observe that after shutting off the clutch, it would briefly spin clockwise, the opposite direction of the pulley. He said he's never seen that before. (both of them have done this.)
Old 07-16-2015, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly how much refrigerant, by weight, did he put in it? How much oil did you put in it prior to having him charge it?
Old 07-16-2015, 06:40 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

and what is the pressure doing when it clicks etc...
Old 07-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A Harbor Freight gauge set is good enough for this kind of testing and they're not very expensive.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I been researching most of the re-man compressors are crap and don't last long. I have a Matsushita also. It is the original one that came with the car but is on its last leg...I thought of a re-man unit but will probably change to a sanden unit. As there are brand new aftermarket ones available I have seen on ebay...There are some good A/C write ups on crxcommunity.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

New clutch (armature plate, pulley, coil) with each replacement compressor? Or are you reusing the old clutch? Are you shimming to obtain the proper air gap?
Old 07-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just had another thought. You could try a new pressure cycling switch. It's in the hardline, so you'll have to suck it down, replace the switch, then recharge.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is NOT short cycling. My piece of crap Matsushita compressor tends to do this ONLY at an idle when it's flipping hot outside. It's very reminiscent of clipping a playing card to a bicycle wheel and spinning it. My current compressor has been doing this for 3 years and I'm on my 3rd MatsuSHITa in 8 years of owning a 4th gen. Note: mine have all been reman units.

I have no idea why it does this, nor am I interested in screwing with my system anymore. If I have to crack this A/C system open again I'll be throwing a hand grenade at it. This clicking noise seriously must be due to a poor remanufacture or something of that nature. I've never heard a Sanden do this.

The car still kind of cools in 95f weather. I stopped caring. Honda A/C engineers need to be taken outside and shot because these systems all suck with R134a. Even my girlfriend's 06 Civic EX sucks compared to a Sunfire's system no matter what I've done :/
Old 07-16-2015, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sumdewd
This is NOT short cycling. My piece of crap Matsushita compressor tends to do this ONLY at an idle when it's flipping hot outside. It's very reminiscent of clipping a playing card to a bicycle wheel and spinning it. My current compressor has been doing this for 3 years and I'm on my 3rd MatsuSHITa in 8 years of owning a 4th gen. Note: mine have all been reman units.

I have no idea why it does this, nor am I interested in screwing with my system anymore. If I have to crack this A/C system open again I'll be throwing a hand grenade at it. This clicking noise seriously must be due to a poor remanufacture or something of that nature. I've never heard a Sanden do this.

The car still kind of cools in 95f weather. I stopped caring. Honda A/C engineers need to be taken outside and shot because these systems all suck with R134a. Even my girlfriend's 06 Civic EX sucks compared to a Sunfire's system no matter what I've done :/
Yes! What you describe is EXACTLY what both of mine do.

RonJ@HT... Both were complete units with their own clutch. I didn't gap them, but my shop guy told me he checked it for me.

James89 and v4lu3s... he told me he added 4.5 oz of oil and 1lb 12oz of refrigerant. He said he didn't notice anything unusual with the pressures while it was clacking.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crxguy406
he told me he added 4.5 oz of oil and 1lb 12oz of refrigerant. He said he didn't notice anything unusual with the pressures while it was clacking.
Pretty much right on the money, your charge and oil level definitely isn't the culprit then
Old 07-17-2015, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

crxguy, if you want to pay for shipping, I can send you a Matsu reman for free. It came from compressors o the world. I switched over to a Sanden since I needed to change lines, anyway, and never used this unit. It's just sitting on my workbench, and it's such a specialized part that I wasn't able to sell it locally. After this many years, I'm willing to just give it away.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sumdewd

Amen to that! I have a 2006 Civic Si, as well, and it doesn't cool for ****. I live in Texas and it gets pretty damn hot, but my rebuilt 1991 (with R12) cooled down to 33-34 degree center vent temps in 90 degree heat. The 2006 gets down to 44-46 degrees. What a hunk.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sstupid
crxguy, if you want to pay for shipping, I can send you a Matsu reman for free. It came from compressors o the world. I switched over to a Sanden since I needed to change lines, anyway, and never used this unit. It's just sitting on my workbench, and it's such a specialized part that I wasn't able to sell it locally. After this many years, I'm willing to just give it away.
Thanks for the offer dude I really appreciate it, but I think my best bet at this point is to convert to sanden.

Other than the bracket and the 2 hose sections, is there anything else I will need to track down?
Old 07-17-2015, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Other than the bracket and the 2 hose sections, is there anything else I will need to track down?
Nope
Old 07-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the offer dude I really appreciate it, but I think my best bet at this point is to convert to sanden.

Not that I remember. It was a pretty easy switch.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to change from a Matsushita to a Sanden also. Anybody have any experience with the new aftermarket made in China units?
Old 07-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've found everything I need for the sanden conversion except the mounting bracket. Nothing in my local wrecking yards, sites are discontinued and none even on ebay. If anyone happens to have one laying around please PM what you'd like for it.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

5 years ago, there was a new couple of EFs in my local pick and pull. Now, there is maybe one new one every couple of weeks. It's like they're all getting crushed.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by my91tealhb
I am going to change from a Matsushita to a Sanden also. Anybody have any experience with the new aftermarket made in China units?
They're infinitely more reliable than a rebuilt unit. Seriously, by all means, absolutely seek out a new aftermarket Chinese clone.

Quick Reply: Matsushita compressor clutch making rapid clacking noise