Notices

Long distance Civic Wagon transport

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long distance Civic Wagon transport

Long story short, I took my 91 Civic wagon on a 3,000 mile road trip exploring the west coast. On the last day of my trip, as I was driving home to washington, the d15b2 engine lost power and died, and would not start back up. I had it towed to a mechanic in the nearest town. A compression test showed that I had 70-100 PSI in each cylinder, and one was as low as 5 PSI. After adding oil directly into the cylinders, it temporarily brought PSI back up, leading to a piston ring failure diagnosis (=new or rebuilt engine needed).

Anyways, the mechanic quoted me an absurd amount to have a new engine installed. I declined, but he agreed to let me store my car in his lot for a few weeks as I figure out what I want to do. Anyways, I took a plane home and am now trying to figure out what to do about the wagon.

Should I find a replacement d15b2 and take it down to the mechanic and have him install it for his $650 installation quote?
Should I rent a car dolly and drive down and pick it up? (I don't have a vehicle that can tow, so I would need to borrow or rent something, but it is a 600 miles away)
Would it be easiest to hire a company to transport the car to my house?

I have heard that car shipping companies can be very sketchy and full of scams....do you know of any reputable companies?

Anyways, what would you do in my situation? I have never dealt with transporting a car long distance (besides driving it). I love my civic wagon, but I don't know the best way to get it home. Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Long distance Civic Wagon transport

Personally I would try to source a used motor, or something very similar at a engine importer and try to get it shipped to the shop. Unless your willing to do the work yourself, towing the car around seems like an expense you can avoid.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Creator
Personally I would try to source a used motor, or something very similar at a engine importer and try to get it shipped to the shop. Unless your willing to do the work yourself, towing the car around seems like an expense you can avoid.
That might be what I end up doing.

Though, I feel like I could rebuild the d15b2 engine pretty easily in my own garage.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your looking at roughly 1000 for shipping.

And since it does not run it gets higher from there.

I looked at getting a rhd shell shipped to me. The shell was cheaper than the shipping charge.

If you can get a d15b2 motor dropped off at the mechanic that that is good.

you probably would end up with a jdm replacement for around 500-600 and then shipping on top.

I know there are some good shipping companies out there. And it also depends on where you want the car in the trailer.

my friend paid extra for his RHD EF to be right behind the cab so less road damage.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What town is the car located in?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, shipping with an auto transporter should only cost you around $500+ $100 for non-running vehicle.

If I were you and really wanted to keep the car I would have it transported home and swap the engine myself.

Nationwide salvage listings: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market (they're generally running around $500)