Notices

Killswitch/Theft

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Killswitch/Theft

I've invested a lot of time and money into my wagon and im about to take the plunge into high dollar wheels, tires, and suspension. I've added security measures such as a removable steering wheel and Limo tint. I was debating on a viper alarm, but would rather hide a kill switch.

Questions
-----------
A.) Can i just hide a toggle switch to the hot wire on the fuel pump connector (on top the fuel pump, under the passenger seat)?

B.)Would that prevent the engine from turning? are there any more effective/efficient ways of preventing the ignition from engaging?

C.)How would a honda thief even steal your honda without keys?
Old 02-17-2015, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Killswitch/Theft

A) Yes you can toggle switch directly on the fuel pump wiring. That is probably the most common Honda kill switch. Make certain you use a good quality switch. Home Depot sells good quality 20 amp switches for about $4

B) That won't prevent the engine from turning it will merely keep it from pumping fuel. The engine will still crank endlessly but never start (although in some situations it might briefly start due to residual fuel pressure in the system). To prevent the engine itself from cranking you would need a starter kill switch.

C) The same way people steal any car. Punching the ignition is easily the easiest and quickest way and I would say by far the most common method. It's sadly very easy on even most modern cars and thieves can be driving away in your car in less than a minute.

The bottom line is if somebody REALLY wants to steal your car they're almost certainly going to. Even if they can't start it, anybody with access to a tow truck can just tow-steal any vehicle he or she wants.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A truck with a car dolly will still take your car away every time. Even with the emergency brake pulled, they will just drag your rear wheels.

If you are buying high dollar wheels, get locking lug nuts. An alarm is okay, but locking your doors is the biggest theft deterrent.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:47 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Limo tint is a thieves friend.
Once they get in the car, nobody can see them inside.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, ud be better off getting a LOUD alarm system with a tilt sensor so it goes off if somebody tries to jack/remove the wheels.

a kill switch is easy to bypass, and its even easier to just push the car. break the wheel lock put in neutral and push a block away.... or simply just jack the front and put both wheels on rollers and push the car away.

^^^ can also hide a gps somewhere under the dash like legit impossible to find without ripping the dash completely off. but if ur putting rims on i would prefer a alarm
Old 02-17-2015, 01:01 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Two way alarms are helpful so you get notified when you have a theft attempt.
I don't know if anybody cares about alarm sirens anymore. A thief will just break it in a short time to make it shut up.
Mounting it on the firewall under the intake manifold (aimed at the ground) helps it from getting dismantled quickly.
Hood pin switch so it will alarm if the thief goes straight for the battery by popping the hood.