Notices

jacking points on the CRX ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default jacking points on the CRX ???

(1)when i want to lift the front end of my car onto jackstands, the only way i can do it is to jack behind the front wheel, one at a time, and place a jackstand there. the reason i cant jack on the front x-member is because the jack doesnt go high enough/the jackstands are too high. the thing that worries me is when i jack up one side when the other is on the ground. i always feel like i'm stressing the body A LOT. is it ok that i'm jacking one side up about 12" while the other is on the ground? its only like this for about 30secs until i even it out on the other side.

(2) another concern of mine is i cannot place the jack in the proper jacking point since the jackstand belongs there, so i'm forced to jack about 6-8" back from the proper jacking point (so it places the jack more towards the center of the car instead) which i feel further stresses the body.

does any one have a solution to any of these problems? or are they even problems at all? maybe i'm just worrying too much. please fill me in on the best way to do this.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: jacking points on the CRX ??? (keebler65)

(1)when i want to lift the front end of my car onto jackstands, the only way i can do it is to jack behind the front wheel, one at a time, and place a jackstand there. the reason i cant jack on the front x-member is because the jack doesnt go high enough/the jackstands are too high. the thing that worries me is when i jack up one side when the other is on the ground. i always feel like i'm stressing the body A LOT. is it ok that i'm jacking one side up about 12" while the other is on the ground? its only like this for about 30secs until i even it out on the other side.

(2) another concern of mine is i cannot place the jack in the proper jacking point since the jackstand belongs there, so i'm forced to jack about 6-8" back from the proper jacking point (so it places the jack more towards the center of the car instead) which i feel further stresses the body.

does any one have a solution to any of these problems? or are they even problems at all? maybe i'm just worrying too much. please fill me in on the best way to do this.
i dont see anything wrong with the way you're doing it, thats how i do it, shouldnt be a problem
Old 02-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

had the same problem...

i use the stock jack and place maybe a 2x4 or something under it. then jack up the front of the car. make sure it is stable. that will buy you a couple inches. maybe that may help
Old 02-27-2003, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: jacking points on the CRX ??? (ruiner17)

the way i did it with the $20 chinese 5-15" jacks is jack up each side by the standard jack points, and place the jackstands either under the LCA inboard mount or front crossmember near the bolts that hold the crossmember. do NOT use the tow hooks as support points! they will bend! pretty much the same in the rear as the front. just jack from the corners and support under the suspension and crossmember. you have your choice with support point. the problem is if the car is too lowered, you gotta use two jack. so i got used to having two jacks.

i still found this process too tedious when i was changing my tires 4-8 times a race weekend, so i went out and bought the harbor freight jack. all i have to do is jack from the middle of the front crossmember, throw some jacks underneath the end of the crossmember, and lower. move to the back tow hook and jack that up, support at the stock rear corner jack points. real easy. gets as low as 3" and as high as 19" quickly and effortlessly. i now despise the cheap $20 jacks you gotta pump like a dog in heat.

[Modified by Tyson, 1:44 AM 2/27/2003]
Old 02-27-2003, 04:51 AM

Default Re: jacking points on the CRX ??? (Tyson)

where exactly are the proper jack points on a CRX? I always use the side skirts and now they're fuked to hell.

Also, how much did u get that harbor frieght jack from? My car is lowered.. its hard to find jacks that'll fit under it.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jacking points on the CRX ??? (drjondurst)

right behind the front wheels or right in front of the rear wheels, you will see a metal lip that has a thicker piece of metal near it. those are the jacking points. don't use the metal lip that runs along the edge of the car. its just sheetmetal and not meant to support the weight of the car.

the harbor freight jacks are $180 now (i think). check out http://www.harborfreight.com.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jacking points on the CRX ??? (breaka_1_9)

don't use the metal lip that runs along the edge of the car. its just sheetmetal and not meant to support the weight of the car.
i think thats what i've been using to lift from since i need the proper place left open to place the jackstand. what is the solution to this?

the harbor freight jacks are $180 now (i think). check out http://www.harborfreight.com.
i think thats the one i'm using. my car is lowered 1.5" and i have to drive up on 2x4's in the front to get the jack to fit.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

don't use the metal lip that runs along the edge of the car. its just sheetmetal and not meant to support the weight of the car.

i think thats what i've been using to lift from since i need the proper place left open to place the jackstand. what is the solution to this?
a good jack that can lift the car high enough off the front cross member.

i think thats the one i'm using. my car is lowered 1.5" and i have to drive up on 2x4's in the front to get the jack to fit.
are you using this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47246

also check out this thread...
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=378967
Old 02-27-2003, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no, i'm using this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34271

but technically this one would work according to you, because the one you posted has a max height of 17.5", and mine has a max height of 20". i guess that means i'm using bigger jackstands than you are. i wish there was an easy solution. could i jack somewhere on the suspension?
Old 02-27-2003, 06:48 AM

could i jack somewhere on the suspension?
actullay thats what I've been starting to do on the back of my hatch. i jack right under the LCA then place the jackstand/blocks under there too. works great cause my jacking points aren't in the greatest shape anymore after 15 years of road salt in canada.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no, i'm using this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34271

but technically this one would work according to you, because the one you posted has a max height of 17.5", and mine has a max height of 20". i guess that means i'm using bigger jackstands than you are. i wish there was an easy solution. could i jack somewhere on the suspension?
what size jack stands are you using? i can get 6 ton jack stands to fit under my car with my jack the DK20 model:

http://www.automotivetools.com/cgi-l...html?E+scstore

as for another jacking point, try the driver/passenger frame rail. its the metal rail that runs under the floor board about the middle of the driver/passenger floor. i use that jack point to raise the car when i pull motors.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as for another jacking point, try the driver/passenger frame rail. its the metal rail that runs under the floor board about the middle of the driver/passenger floor. i use that jack point to raise the car when i pull motors.
could you elaborate on this more? i cannot picture this. maybe you have a pic of where this is?
Old 02-27-2003, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you dont have a freight harbor in your area Sears carries some cool jacks... I just picked one up for like 50 bucks that lifts about 36"... 3ton jack.. thing is long as hell and I lifted my car up the other day and it was barely eve open and I had more then enough room to work under neath the car.

If your car is to low to lift from the front... find a 2x4 and drive on top of it... that SHOULD give you enough clearence.... its what I ahve to do... since my 85 is old as hell and lived in the rust belt, my jack points are shot... now I have to repare them... along with the floors near the points... nothing a welder and a weekend free cant fix.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could you elaborate on this more? i cannot picture this. maybe you have a pic of where this is?
i do have pics but we-todd isn't working so i can't show you them. the pics are at home so i will try to re-upload them to a different server tonight.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

/\/\/\/\/\ dang those jacks look waay more easier than my poo walmart jack set....
Old 02-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jacking points on the CRX ??? (B16_madman)

/\/\/\/\/\ dang those jacks look waay more easier than my poo walmart jack set....
they are "on sale" for $250.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:14 PM

Another thing that might help are Rhino Ramps. For stuff where the wheels dont need to come off, this is much easier on the car than jacking.

Also, Sears sells an SUV jack that has extra high lift. I think I paid about $50 for it and it gets the car high in the air when jacked from the cross member.

Old 02-28-2003, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jacking points on the CRX ??? (Steve91)

here is a pic of the jack on the frame rail.