Notices

Ignition Switch Trouble

Old 04-01-2014, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch Trouble

Greetings,

I am having difficulty getting my vehicle to start and stay running. When the key is in the ON position all of the accessories and blower motor work, but none of the dash lights come on, the blinkers don't work, the fuel pump does not cycle, the CEL does not come on at all or cycle, and the main relay does not cycle.

If I crank the car over it does start and run until I release the key allowing it to return to the ON position. The vehicle stalls when the key returns to the on position.

When I turn the key half way between ON and START the CEL cycles as normal, the main relay cycles as normal, the fuel pump primes, the hazards and turn signals work, but none of the accessories work.

If I crank the car over and manually return the key to half way between ON and START the vehicle runs fine, with no accessories working. I can drive the vehicle if I am physically holding the key between ON and START.

It is as if the connection in the ignition switch is only being closed when the key is physically being held half way between the ON and START position.

I have checked all fuses, but have not had time to run multimeter testing on the MAP or ground continuity tests.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition Switch Trouble

Change the white plug on the back of the ignition. Its held in by 2 Phillips head screws if I recall correctly. also has a harness that runs to the fuse box.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition Switch Trouble

Originally Posted by ef-hatchcrap
Change the white plug on the back of the ignition. Its held in by 2 Phillips head screws if I recall correctly. also has a harness that runs to the fuse box.
There is no plug on te back of the ignition. The wires are soldered to the ignition. I took the ignition switch apart and the contact plates that the ignition switch closes seem to be pitted. The contact plates on the inner portion are pitted the greatest. The contacts on the raised outer portion of the ignition don't seem to have any pitting.

Does which wire is the out to the main relay?