Notices

I need pictures of dpfi -> mpfi

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need pictures of dpfi -> mpfi

Does anyone have clear pictures of a dpfi to mpfi conversion? Or even just the after pictures?
Old 08-17-2002, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I need pictures of dpfi -> mpfi (ijjz)

are you needing a pic so you can see how the hoses go?

i recently did an mpfi swap and can run out and take a pic if there's a certain angle you need. If you just want a general idea, you can get that by looking at an Si. you can also use an Si to see where the hoses go (that's what I did)
Old 08-17-2002, 11:12 PM

Default Re: I need pictures of dpfi -> mpfi (thumpu77)

i im you.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:52 AM

you can try here, Accord92Sir posted up that article from the SCC magazine
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=183410
Old 08-18-2002, 02:35 PM

Here's the resistor box (left fender):

The plug on the bottom is the plug that used to be on the old distributor, I re-pinned it so I could run the 4 new wires from the ECU (right fender):

I hope these help, let me know if you need more detail on a certain area.
Old 08-18-2002, 03:29 PM

perfect, thank you so much!
Old 08-18-2002, 06:01 PM

Let me ask you somthing.......and bear with my explaining.....

Im doing this swap any day now( as soon as time permits) Ive got everything including all the sensors and wire harness that is normally in the engine bay of a SI stilll attached to the entire a6 head and I/M(which Ill be putting on)

Now....should I just use my entire stock DX harness...convert the wires....and plug the DX sensors into the A6 head and I/M like usual......or would it be easier to use half DX and half SI harness.....its a plug and play I believe and I could just match up the wires.

Heres what im looking at doing using SI ecu-with DX harness-converted to MPFI....(using old SI harness wires.....) and wallah???

Im kinda confused......help me out?
Old 08-18-2002, 09:31 PM

Default Re: I need pictures of dpfi -> mpfi (Kasper 1)

use the following link:
http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org/tech/4gdxtozc.html

You'll need to use most of the dx harness because the si engine harness doesn't match up to the dx firewall harness.

I converted the dx distributor plug to an si plug by carefully pulling the pins out of the dx plug and inserting them into the proper spots in the si dizzy plug (matching color to color on the dizzy) you'll be two wires short, these are the cylinder position sensor wires. You can rob a couple of wires from the si harness and run them to the firewall (I got wires with pins at both ends so I could plug into the si plug and the new plug I put in by the firewall)

I unrapped the dx harness and pulled the loom off, then I pulled out the injector wires and pulled the pins out of the plug at the firewall, then I unrapped the si harness, took the si injector plugs, routed all of the negatives to the resistor box and the positives from #1 & 3 to the factory locations and the positive wires from #2 & 4 to the new plug at the firewall.

The website above says that the TPS and EACV plugs are too short and must be extended but if you unwrap the harness enough, there is enough length there to run them without any cuts or splices. Three of the plugs that plug into the mani are physically the same (2 of them are even the same color) pay close attention to what these come off of on the dx mani. they will plug in to simmilar looking peices on the new mani. one of the 3 won't plug into anything, it's not required on the new mani.

After routing the wires, I replaced the loom (You can get new loom from an auto parts store or car stereo shop) and wrapped it up in electrical tape (use some good quality tape, the cheap stuff will just unravel in a couple of months. I only use 3M super 33)

Another piece of advise for you guys: there is a small coolant line that currently comes out of the backside of your engine, loops around through a metal tube, and goes back into your head. this line needs to loop through the hookups on the bottom of the throttle body and the EACV on the back of the mani. I'm just mentioning this because nobody told me about this and I was pulling my hair out because I thought they were vaccum lines and I was trying to figure out where they were suposed to go.

I hope this answered your question without confusing you more. good luck and feel free to IM me if you have any more questions. I usually check the site around 8:00 am pacific and again at 8:00 pm

edit: Another good resorce I used is majestic honda:http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...catdisplay.jsp
they have good drawings of the parts and what they're called. It helped me to name the parts I was asking about when I was asking other people questions.

[Modified by thumpu77, 10:39 PM 8/18/2002]
Old 08-21-2002, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i got my motor rebuilt and is inthe car i got the si wiring harness and the wirte up that Sprot compact car mag did a while ago and i am hoping to get it finished within the next few days, i will still be using the auto trans and had to change the T.cable thinging?? so the trans could hook up to it i have the vac. lines hooked up also all i was waiting on was the Si harness which i now have, now to my question i thought it would be more simple to use the si harness grafted in and just run the extra wires from the ecu like in the artical....???? not shure on how to go about this now i have heard diffrent storys now help???
Old 08-21-2002, 09:41 PM

Default Re: I need pictures of dpfi -> mpfi (88civic)

the Sport compact car way works fine, I did mine the way I did so there wouldn't be any splices under the hood. You live in the portland area right? I might be able to get up there and give you a hand sometime if you get stuck.
Old 08-22-2002, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just need to find the parts....
Old 08-22-2002, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok now what??? i have go the harness and is all pluged in but i sitll have to run wires for injection and cylnder position and give power too the resistor....I got the ecu wiring i think... but i need to know where things go like the cylnder position and what wire gives me power for the resistor (larger guage yellow wire) that is not very helpful when there are like four yellow wires are they all power?? then the small clip
on the passenger side fo the car has wires coming out of it (6) and i belive that 2 of them are the cylender positon wires but not shure what are the rest ....
and all of the left over wires from the stock hareness .....
si harness on dirvers side what do i do with them all..
ok i found out what the white one is it is a gornd for the dizzy but that means that the oter ones have to be used too.. got code 15 and 20... 15 is igniter?? i cant "finger" it out the 20 is wiring of some sort which explanes why not getting spark but cant "finger" out what yet... and yet another day gone and not dirving yet.... this sucks and i need help!!! but know one has any ideas

[Modified by 88civic, 12:52 PM 8/22/2002]

[Modified by 88civic, 12:52 PM 8/22/2002]

[Modified by 88civic, 9:06 PM 8/27/2002]
Old 08-22-2002, 09:42 PM

Default Re: mpfi wiring(88civic)

Wow.... When I did my harness, I stripped all of the loom / elecrical tape off of my harnesses so I could see where the wires were comming from. It's going to be hard to figure out with all of the wires cut at the firewall. make sure when you're splicing those to use solder and heat shrink tubing.

After staring at your pictures for about 15 min, I'm still clueless. Hopefully there's someone else on here who's done it the same way you did that can offer help.

edit: you mentioned an automatic trans. did the donor car have auto? did the donor car have cruse control? did the donor car have A/C? does your car have any of these? this could explain some of the extra wires.

[Modified by thumpu77, 10:45 PM 8/22/2002]