Notices

How to know a pressure plate is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to know a pressure plate is bad?

k i got a problem! lets see if we can crack this one up...

2 days ago comming from work (car running fine) on the highway, i let go car on N on the off ramp...when i get to stop light and press on clutch i noticed it went all the way down veryyyyyyyy soft.... and gears didnt wanted to go IN....
i get off the car and noticed the clutch cable its almost loosen all the way ..... i tighten it and get back on the car.,... clutch pedal its veryyyy hard and i managed to get it home....
the clutch pedal feels very hard, and doenst grab until like 80% of pedal its almost out and then grabs all of a sudden...also i went to Post office and when i parked... and come back and started up.. the clutch pedal its unadjusted.... has like 2-3 inches of play before it grabs.... i went out and re-adjusted it.... all good....drove for a day... while driving on gear, it drives normal
the clutch kit its a Exedy Stage 1 organic clutch, and i already tried a new clutch cable form honda.. so its not the clutch cable.
i called the guy i bought it from and he said that if it is defective that he will give me one, but that hes pretty sure it is not the pressure plate.... the problem is i bought clutch online, and ill have to ship part and stuff... the guy said that maybe can be a non-resurfaced flywheel... i dont think its the flywheel, bc a non resurfaced one wont make the clutch pedal get too hard....i can take out the pressure plate, and use the stock one., but i dont feel like taking my engine out twice in a week for a clutch... i wanna make sure that when i take car apart its the clutch kit.... its my daily driver and cant afford not to have a car for days...the guy said that he will send me a press plate today ... but then if the one i send him its good that he wants the other one back and i gotta then ship stuff a few times....

some of sympthoms are:
hard pedal
engaging almost when 80% out and then hard grabbing
squeeke noise from tranny
self-loosing adjustment of the clutch cable

i just want some ideas before i take everything apart.... i know the best way to find out its taking clutch kit out...
Old 06-19-2003, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to know a pressure plate is bad? (USDM 4G VTEC)

when was the last time you replaced your clutch? and if and when you did, did you replace the throw out bearing? my friend had a rex and had someone do his clutch for him. well that guy didnt say anything about the throw out bearing until the car was back together and was shaking back whenever he shifted. i wont mention any names.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to know a pressure plate is bad? (Noah *****)

oh yeah i forgot to mention

the clutch was intalled like a month ago
has only about 1600 miles on it

and yes the clutch kit came with new trowout bearing, pilot bearing, and clutch pressure plate and alignment tool
Old 06-19-2003, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same clutch you have, and I dont really have a problem with it, but the engagment is at the top of the peddle and it grabs real quick. I would rather have the engagment towards the floor. I dont know exactly what would cause your problem, other than something in the system being lose. I imagin that mabe one of the rivits on the pressure plate could have failed. Talke the plate off the tranny at the bottom of the motor and see if anything falls out.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump 4 tonite
Old 06-20-2003, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to know a pressure plate is bad? (UPDATE!!!!)

well i took everything apart today
it turned out that it wasnt the pressure plate....
the trowout bearing was messed up
is was getting caught on the shaft it runs back and foward...
somehow it got bend, spring got twisted, the bearin was getting caught sideways and making it tough and hard...
i swaped clutch arm brakets from the DX tranny for one from my Si tranny.... after changing that and the trowout bearing everything was back to normal....

Old 06-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Where the hell is Bullhead City, Arizona, U.S.A. Formerly of Huntington Beach, Ca 92649
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting a follow-up to your dilema........all to often we read about problems and suggested solutions but only a few (like yourself) will actually post the "real" fix.