Notices

how do you lube up a distributor ?

Old 07-18-2015, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you lube up a distributor ?

does anybody know how to lube up the thing that turns on a distributor ? cause i got a good OEM used one for my crx, and it turns ok, but would be lot better if i lubed it up around the bearing or the shaft that turns,

a mechanic re-lubed my old one, but i did'nt see all of how he did it, but i remember he took apart the coupling which is at the end that would mate to the engine side, and then he used some Q-tips and some bearing grease and lubed around the part that turns best he could reach, and the shaft on the other side that turns too, and afterwards, it turned freely, when before it was hard to turn and binding, i just want to do that same thing to the used one i just got, so it turns best it can before putting it on.

or maybe its not necessary to lube it ? or maybe its just good enough to lube it around the outside without taking it apart ?

any help would be cool
Old 07-18-2015, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do you lube up a distributor ?

You could try a blast of silcone spray. If there is some bad rust or grit in there you'll want to take it apart. Otherwise, the cam has no problem turning it.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the distributor i got turns pretty good, i know it does'nt supposed to be spinning as freely as a skateboard wheel, so its probably fine how it is, but after reading around, i just used moly bearing grease, and put it around each end with q-tips and jambed it in further with a small bristle brush, but i don't think it did much, since it was just on the outside, and probably be way better if i took the housing apart to access the part that turns inside of it, and lube all of that, but i'm not going to mess with that, maybe spray silicone would be better using a little straw attachment, since its a thinner type of lube that would seep inside the cracks more than the bearing grease i used, but since its not hard to turn or binding or rusty, i guess i got a good one. i was just trying to lube it and prevent the bearing drying up or going bad and burning up my rotor like it did on my old previous one, but it might not be a lube thing like im thinking, and probably something else that cuases it to fail.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:18 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there is no service procedure for lubricating the bearing in the distributor. your mechanic has either worked on other brands that do that, or he is just a creative guy.

i have to ask....how many miles do you think that last distributor had on it? then combine that with the number of years on it....
Old 07-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

theres a pin under the o ring that you use to remove the coupler. http://civic-eg.com/pics/diy/distrib...d/DSCN5033.jpg

removing the insides of the distributor is possible but AS I SAID very difficult without destroying things. http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?p=223990

the distributor is supposed to be notchy because of the timing contacts. its probably fine.

the old one was NOT fine because the bearing seized and he basically unseized it somehow, but the bearing is toast and will only be a matter of time before it blows itself up. speaking from experience.