Notices

Horn wont shut off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn wont shut off?

Ok I just bought this car, and its been fine for about a month of daily driving. Today I drove across town and parked it for about 30 mins. When I got back in and started moving the horn came on and wouldnt shut off. I removed the "Brake Horn" fuse from the panel under the hood and it shut off. What is this? Whys it doing it and how do I fix it?

The car has aftermarket steering wheel on it and the horn is not hooked up to the buttons. Its a 1990 Crx Si with a ZC swap.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Horn wont shut off? (mykal)

check you grounds on the horn button they are prob grounding out somewhere and completing the circuit and leaving the horn on
Old 09-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Horn wont shut off? (Rostr02)

Alright Ill check that in the morning. Anything else it might possibly be?
Old 09-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I told you to wait in the truck in Texas, United States
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a pic..
http://www.binghamtonlife.com/...5.jpg
It is a fairly simple circuit.
It is probably in the wheel/horn pad or steering column

edit:The car has aftermarket steering wheel on it
thats where the problem is...
but it could be grounding anywhere between point A and B..

Rostr02
Old 09-20-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Horn wont shut off? (88DXCRX)

lol i had that once, it was the ring that holds the steering console on.

look in behind the steering wheel and see the the big metal ring is on the console.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I told you to wait in the truck in Texas, United States
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Horn wont shut off? (shortyz)

quit honking that damn horn or we will kick your ***!
Old 09-20-2004, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Horn wont shut off? (88DXCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88DXCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is a pic..
http://www.binghamtonlife.com/...5.jpg
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You da man! That will help out alot.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shortyz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol i had that once, it was the ring that holds the steering console on. look in behind the steering wheel and see the the big metal ring is on the console.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks I remember seeing that bronze colored ring behind the wheel and it was loose. I wasnt sure what it was, but Ill look more in depth tommorow.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88DXCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">quit honking that damn horn or we will kick your ***! </TD></TR></TABLE>

The guy in front of me stopped his car thinking I was honking at him at the stop sign. He was really confused... The guy behind me wasnt sure what was going on. He said he though I passed out on steering wheel.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mykal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You da man! That will help out alot.

Thanks I remember seeing that bronze colored ring behind the wheel and it was loose. I wasnt sure what it was, but Ill look more in depth tommorow.

The guy in front of me stopped his car thinking I was honking at him at the stop sign. He was really confused... The guy behind me wasnt sure what was going on. He said he though I passed out on steering wheel. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL! dude they must have wondered what they were doing wrong!
this should be an easy fix. this happened on my truck once and it was a loose wire like they said.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Horn wont shut off? (CRX_1.8T)

that happened to cramer once on seinfeld. except it would just honk randomly. so he tried to play it off like he was really into the music, singing really loud and honking his horn along with it. maybe that'll work for you if you can't get it fixed.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Horn wont shut off? (Shorty3788)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shorty3788 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that happened to cramer once on seinfeld. except it would just honk randomly. so he tried to play it off like he was really into the music, singing really loud and honking his horn along with it. maybe that'll work for you if you can't get it fixed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it honked 2 random times about 5 mins before becoming frozen. I wasnt sure it was even my car honestly. Then when it became "stuck" I realized it really is my car. Whats going to be bad is tommorow when I put the fuse back in and the horn starts going nuts while I try to figure out where the short it. haha

Thanks for all the replys Ill defiantely update everyone tommorow.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I followed the wires and didnt find any loose or bare connections. I took the steering wheel off and the metal ring behind the wheel wasnt touching anything. I replaced the fuse and it was fine. I guess it was a fluke. Hope it doesnt happen again.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did that once a few years ago for reasons unknown. A lady in a Volvo pulled out sort of in front of me, but nothing too bad. We're sitting at the next redlight, and the horn just starts going off. I didn't even know it was mine for a minute. She, of course, thought I was pissed and threw her hands up. I just looked around like it was someone elses. I had to drive another 2 blocks before finding a place to pull over.

Anyway, I shut the car off, unhooked the battery to get it to stop, and hooked it back up and it has never done it again. The moral of the story... it is possible for it to have just been a fluke.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:00 PM
PlastikOwl

Default Re: (therealciviczc)

If it's an aftermarket wheel..it's possible one of the wires hit a ground inside of the hub and is ******* **** up.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Re: (PlastikOwl)

I think he said he fixed it or did I read it wrong.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PlastikOwl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it's an aftermarket wheel..it's possible one of the wires hit a ground inside of the hub and is ******* **** up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually one of the wires would have had to groung out, at which point the ground wire for the horn. if it was the power lead he would have heated up the wire and blown the fuse.