Notices

help - window popping off track, . . . i took door panel off to inspect the parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help - window popping off track, . . . i took door panel off to inspect the parts

car is 90 crxsi,

i have problem with passenger door window, when you roll it up it slowly pops out of the tracks and if you keep rolling it all the way til the top then eventually the top part is totally outside the top of door/window frame, and its also loose where you can wiggle it back & forth if you hold top of it.

if the window is all the way down it looks normal, but if you roll it around half way mark and then you notice that it is kind of loose, where you can move it from side to side (left&right), like if you pull it towards the left, it pulls out of the weather stripping groove on the right, and if you pull it towards the right side then the left side pulls out of its groove.

the two 10mm mounting bolts at bottom of window that hold it to the regulator don't stay tightened enough to keep window in place, instead i notice when moving window left to right that i see those mounting bolts moving loosely from side to side within the holes in the regulator. its a "key-hole style" hole that is used for adjusting, where you slide within the hole and once its where you want you tighten the bolt against it where it does'nt move anymore and stays where it is.

so i tightened those bolts really good while holding window lined up into the slots good,
and thought that would be all to fix problem, but then when i try to roll window up the bolt seems to loose its grip and starts to move again.

so could it be a stripped thread hole? or bolt thread you think ??

what could i do to make the bolts stay and hold tightened against the regulator like it should, keeping window in one place so it stays in position while you roll it all the way up.

so whats people's opinions on what it sounds like ???, bent regulator ?, weather stripping problem? stripped mounting bolts at bottom of window ? or stripped bolt threads on other side where they go into door??, or sound like it could be some kind of other bolts or parts of the regulator that i should look into tightening ??, or just need a new regulator??

the main thing is it would be something that helps keep the window from moving side to side freely or up and down freely, cause it should stay in one secure position and then be able to roll it up or down with out worrying about it having any freeplay or looseness.

thanks, appreciate any thoughts or opinions
Old 06-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help - window popping off track, . . . i took door panel off to inspect the part

window regulator for sure
Old 06-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help - window popping off track, . . . i took door panel off to inspect the part

what do you mean, like you think the regulator is maybe bent or something ? causing it to not roll up straight ?

what about those bolts that mount the bottom of the window to the regulator,

above i described how you can move the window from side to side (left&right) loosely, with around 1" of slack, and i was watching the bolts that go through the mounting tabs on the bottom of the window while i was moving the window side to side and could see the bolt moving side to side too?? when its supposed to be tight and holding window in place so as not to be able to move like that,

those same bolts also are used to adjust the alignment of the window, by loosening those bolts and adjust position by moving left or right within that little slide hold, then tightening once its in the right position.

but i'm just saying would'nt you also think that maybe those bolts being part of the problem as well ?? like they might be stripped or something where they are'nt able to grasp and hold into the threadholes strong enough to keep the window from moving ????
Old 06-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have had this problem many times and every time I replace the regulator it fixes the problem, just make sure the door you take it off is the same aka 90-91 crx si only will fit 88-89 are different and civc hatch windows wont work either they are very slightly all different and the regulators are the same story dont mount up right unless its the right year

make sure the window in the door your take the new regulator out of rolls up correctly before you buy, or you might end up in the same spot your in now
Old 06-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also I have never heard of fixing it it and it lasting for any significant amount of time, ust replace it with a good one
Old 06-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree, I had the same problem with my driver's side window. Make sure that you have not bunching up of the the rubber weather striping around the windows (particularly near the side mirror) - this will CAUSE the regulator to bend. You may have to replace the stripping and the regulator together.

Also, when you replace the regulator, make sure you lube it so it the window rolls up nice and smooth.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Trial User

I was having the same problem and I found out it was the window rubber track inside that throw the window off when you row it down too far down!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you shouldn't be able to "roll it down too far"........

you know what I mean? like how your passenger side probobly wont roll down "too far"

think about it or roll down your friends window and see what I mean
Old 06-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright, thanks for the info, i did have the feeling it was probly the regulator,
but i just ran across any other potential things it could of been, before assuming it was only the regulator causing the problem? plus it did'nt look bad anywhere either?

but what usually ends up being the reason the regulators are considered "bad"?, where we have to replace them with new ones? like what part of the regulator stops or fails to do its job and causing the problem? getting old? getting loose? bent?

what about the two mounting bolts that hold window tabs to the regulator? do you have any thoughts on way to fix that problem? how they don't hold tightly into the regulator side?, then making window loose so it can shift side to side ?

it should be so the bolts holding window mounting tabs are tightened real good so the window is right against the regulator, without any looseness to it, to make easier for it to stay in position while being rolled up along the tracks..

one thing i did'nt really think about before was if maybe the window in is the wrong size one or something? cause that window was replaced way back around 1998 after it was broken into, i had insurance that covered my stuff, and i left my car at some place that specializes in fixing everything, and replacing stereo components etc... , and they also replaced that window, but i have heard there is some window thats meant for another CRX model that is either too wide or not wide enough, and if they used one like that, which was not wide enough, that would easily explain the way it can move and shift from side to side and how it the sides don't fit deep into both of the gooves on the sides..... (just a thought...)
Old 06-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Often the regulator is bent, thought that might be hard to see unless you took the regulator out of the door and examined it next to a known good one.

There is a distinct difference between the regulator of say an 88 CRX and an 89... 89 was when they introduced in door safety restraints which forced the design of the regulator and window itself to change. If you google for the two windows, you will quickly see the difference.

I believe there is a slight chance that you might be able interchange the glass of the vehicles, but I am not 100% sure. I can certainly tell you that 89 regulators don't like to be in 88 doors though (unless you have some special touch) - i did this and ended up busting some glass.

Finally, yes, the tabs holding the glass should be tight. Regulators aren't too expensive, especially in the junk yard if you can find them there. It would never hurt to pick one up to test with even if the problem was something else. I actually have some regulators that would fit your 90...
Old 06-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i went to www.CAR-PART.com, a good site where you can search parts, and get results with ones in close distance to your area etc...

i searched for window regulator for passenger side and drivers side, (this post was about the problem on my pass. window, but i also need drivers side cause im about to install new window on drivers side too cause it was broken into recently),

and i found a drivers side regulator for $45 which was at place 20 miles away, and also found passenger side regulator for $35 at place about 30 miles away, and said they are good condition, so i might jump on that and get both of them tomorrow, cause those are good deals, cause i saw ones listed for way more on ebay and stuff, more like $75- 85 range.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nobody ever replied regarding the thing i mentioned how the window mounting tab bolts slide side to side and not able to stay tight enough where its securely holding window in position? maybe i'm not describing it good,

the bolts go into a metal strip which is the very bottom of the regulator, the heads of the bolts go into holes on the regulator which are like "key-hole style" holes, where one big circle drops into smaller one so you can slide bolt from big one and over into little one to lock it in place.

well, even though i tighten them good they don't grab and hold good cause i go to try rolling the window up and it still kind of pops out a little and the window has freeplay where it moves side to side, and that seems to be what is causing window to not stay in the tracks on the side while its being rolled up, instead it either shifts to the left or the right side and coming out of a track.

so does anybody know what i mean and would you have any ideas why its doing that ??

could the bolts be stripped? or the threads be stripped the bolts stick into on door side?

its not the tabs that are glued to the window, those are on real good and do not move at all, i just am talking about the bolt that holds the tab onto the regulator or door side.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just go here, http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/P/S/81998727.gif

its a perfect picture of what i'm talking about, where the bolts of the window mount tabs go

i also read something else that might fix problem, it said to loosen 2 bolts that hold run channel, and push run channel towards and against window edge more, and re-tighten run channel bolts while in that position, then it would be tighter with weatherstripping groove against the window edge which would hold window in place more so it would stay straight and not be able to move left or right (side to side).

also says some cars even like 97 accords had recall where the run channel was'nt seated properly causing the window to go off the track, so i could see if its seated properly on mine,
Old 06-21-2011, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should be able to tighten those window tabs pretty tight addikt. As you pointed out, those are the only two points of contact! Your hypothesis might be right about the bolts, but I'm still putting money of the regulator.

I still think you should visit a junkyard to get parts. They'd be cheaper AND you can examine how they work. Any Civic window, around your year or higher, should work the same.

Also, as I mentioned before, that channel run (weather stripping) I believe was the MAIN cause of my bent regulator. I had to change that and the regulator to get everything working properly - you may be more lucky though.

Good luck with picking the replacement regs up. If for some reason you need mine, just holla I'll let them both go for $40 + shipping.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright, cool, thats good to know........ i'll let you know what happens .......