Notices

help diagnosing random beep sound, when going over bumps ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help diagnosing random beep sound, when going over bumps ?

its a 90 crx si, ive searched, read lot of posts about similar problems, but i did the things they mentioned and still did'nt fix my problem.

i have a random beeping sound when driving over bumpy parts of the road, and originally i thought it was the beep that is for the door open alert while you have keys in the ignition, cause it seems like thats where i hear the beep sound coming from, from around the area behind fuse panel under the dash, or i thought that maybe the latch mechanisms that open and close on the door jambs were loose, not making good connections, so i got 6 different good latch parts at the junk yard, but i tried putting the good ones, and did'nt fix the problem, and still beeped at me.

weird thing is, i tried to just disconnect the "L"-shaped latch from the wire connection behind it on both the drivers and passenger sides, yet it still continues to randomly beep at me while driving and mostly over bumpy sections of road ?
so im confused to what it is now ??, cause if both latches are'nt connected with the wire behind it, then how would they be able to make beeping sound ??

i already disconnected the green plug behind the rear view mirror for the seatbelt alert beep a while ago, so i don't think thats causing the beep problem.

since it mostly beeps randomly when hitting bumps in the road, that makes me think that it has something to do with the part being moved from hitting a bump, causing it to make the beep somehow?,

i know the speaker that makes the beep sound for the door being open is located on the back of the fuse panel under the dash, and know how to get to it, but i don't want to disconnect or disable it , cause i want to keep it functioning how it supposed to, beeping when door is open and keys in ignition, and making dome light go on or off when closing or opening the doors.

could it be a short or something ??, what things can i do to diagnose this ? any thoughts would help, its getting on my nerves
Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help diagnosing random beep sound, when going over bumps ?

nobody? just wanted a little input
Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the door switch works by grounding to complete the circuit. Even if you disconnected the switches, if there is a short down the line it will still sound the beeper.

When this happens does it also activate the dome light?

The ignition switch has a beeper too, but its sound is unique enough to recognise the difference. I disconnected that beeper and left it loose. over bumps it was grounding out and it would make weird crackling beeps.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it does'nt activate the dome light, cause i would easily notice that cause i would see the dome light flicker on or off with the beeping, and it does'nt do that.

i did try driving with the driver door open through slower residential streets while holding the door trigger all the way closed with my hand and noticed the beeping stopped, even while driving around bumpy roads, and i slowly let go of the door trigger, letting it slide towards the open position just a little bit, and then noticed it started beeping again, driving on those same roads with bumps.

so that made me think it was probably just the driver door not adjusted snug enough to where it was closed tight against the door trigger, to close it all the way, cause that driver door was replaced at body shop cause someone wrecked my original door, and they did a good job finding a decent door and paint matching it, but might of not adjusted and fit it good enough ??

would that sound like it could be a possible cause ?

otherwise, i am clueless and not sure what else could be ?

and if its a short then i would rather skip trying to find that and forget about trying to get it functioning normal for when the door is open and key in ignition, and instead just make it easy and remove or disable the speaker or (buzzer) that makes the beep sound, which is in the ICU.

i found a detailed post of how to get to the integrated control unit behind the fuse panel under the dash, and how to pop it open and find the speaker that makes the sound for the door open thing, and i could just remove it or disable it.

but if you have any suggestions then please let me know what i can check before doing that, thankx
Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

EDIT: oops I spaced out the fact that you disconnected the switch and it still beeps. It must be the latch inside the door, Is that the on you replaced?
nevermind the following

Does the switch have the little rubber cover on it still? I have heard of people having issues when that wears off or falls off.

And if its a case of it not quite closing the switch all the way all the time, you could try wrapping the end where the rubber cover goes with electrical tape to make it slightly bigger.

Do you have your dome light turned off? For some reason I'm getting hung up on that aspect. If the light isnt coming on it shouldnt be that door switch, but maybe your bulb is burned out or something. Anyway it seems like you pin pointed the culprit.

EDIT: I was just searching some old threads and found one of yours saying the dome light doesn't or didn't work and you wanted a brighter dome light. I upgaded my dome light to a LED replacement not because its an LED but because its way brighter. Here is the bulb I used: http://autolumination.com/images/aut...rray_cw_wm.jpg
From this page http://autolumination.com/festoon.htm

I had to modify the housing a bit to get it to fit.

Last edited by grog; 03-22-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i went to the pick-n-pull (junkyard), and i actually got like 6 of those door triggers, from civic hatches or sedans, since you don't know if they are good or bad, i just got 6 so it would be more likely that some of them would be good ones.

they all looked good without rust and were'nt loose on the track, and they had the rubber thing on the end like you mentioned, to be honest i did'nt try all of them, i just tried 2 of them, but you can tell they looked fine,

but thats a good idea about putting electrical tape to make the end bigger sticking out more towards the door, i;ll give that a try, and as far as adjusting the door, i read on the manual how you do it, by loosening that metal hook/striker thing in the door jamb, and moving it up & down or side to side to make door fit better against it, but its impossible to even loosen those 2 big phillips screws holding that thing in place !!!, if i put any more force to it i would end up stripping them, i even tried wd-40 but did'nt help at all, probably need some type of tool other than a regular phillips head screwdriver in order to loosen them without damaging them ?,

and the dome light did come on (or off), before i disconnected the wire connections from the backs of the door triggers, and it worked fine turning on, it was just the door trigger on the drivers side which seemed touchy and if you wiggle it around it activated that beep sound if it wiggled just a little bit one way or the other, and it seemed that it would be wiggling like that while the door is also closed if the door is'nt fitted tight enough against it ?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is also a door sensor inside of the door which is part of the latch, thats what I was asking about, whether you had replaced it or not. I dont know much about it nor would I want to replace it, I'm just throwing that out there.

The screw for the door jam is a special size / bit, # 3 philips I believe, it will have a flat tip like this one:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j...64090188054917

By the way dont buy that from the link, its waaaay too expensive. plus any hardware store will have them.

If you're truely having trouble with those screws I have heard of a trick meant for the brake rotor set screws (which use the same philips size), use a hammer to bang the screwdriver (if it can handle it) into the screw just once, the idea being for it to free it up. Be very carefull though since this isn't meant to be done to the body.
Get the right bit and you should be fine.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i heard about those sensors in the doors and was looking at helms at the parts inside the door panel, one guy said theres a plug or switch around the seatbelt retracting mechanism in door panel, and has something to do with the beep ?

another person was talking about some type of door switch, and i saw door switch on the circuit diagram in helms, and i followed the path and it led to the door ajar beep alert thing and then wires went from there to dome light and also to those door triggers.

but i'm not worried about it right now, cause i am not sure if i fixed it or if its just not doing it right now, but i was messing with my car last couple hours, i tinted both of my door windows, with 35% cause i had 20% and failed inspection so i had to put a legal darkness on, i finished them and did a good job, even though it was dark and windy when i was on the second window, which is'nt ideal for doing tinting, but after doing that, i wrapped black duct tape around the ends of both door triggers making them a lot thicker, like you said, and i drove around the neighborhood through lots of bumpy streets, and usually when driving though those same roads, is when it starts beeping all crazy and annoying, but this time there was'nt single beep at all ???, and i'm not sure if it just does it when it wants to ? or if what i did fixed it ??, but really i just got to see and pay attention the next few days to see if it starts up again out of nowhere, but i'm hoping it fixed it.

anyway thanks for the replies, and at least i know more about how all that stuff works, and have an idea what to do if it does start doing it again.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

above i said i thought i fixed it, but said i'll see the next few days if it suddenly comes back again or not, and it did. . .

today i had the car idling while waiting for a friend, and i put my hand back around the fuse panel under the dash, kind of wiggling stuff around, running my hand lightly across the wire harnesses, tops of fuses across fuse panel, and any other things going to the fuse panel, . . . and I HEARD IT MAKE THE BEEP SOUND when touching something around that area !!!, now i think i am narrowing down what the problem is, and need to find out what i touched that made it make the sound ?, something could be loose around there or two things could be touching each other when ever i hit a bump ?, or the ICU which has the speaker that beeps could maybe not have good connection to the fuse panel ?

but i'm not sure if theres anything on the fuse panel itself or connected to it that has to do with that beep sound ? but i'll look into it.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah you might try replacing the ICU if tapping it is setting off the beeper.
look for one at the junkyard. there are 2 types an "A" and a "B". B has intermittent wiper controls and maybe other functions for the upper trim levels.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also could be possible that some of the water leaks i've had over past several years could of got the ICU wet and did something making it act weird ?,

like one leak is from the fresh air intake vent, which is sort of over the area of the fuse panel / ICU, also had leaks from front windshield not being put in properly, around the seal, in various spots, so who knows . . .

i was'nt really touching around the ICU when i heard it beep, thats on back side of fuse panel, i was just moving my hand across the front of fuse panel where all the fuses are stickin out of and around the thick wire harness loom things around sides and back of fuse panel. but i'll check it out and could be bad ICU, also my intermittent wiper setting has not worked for several years, but all the other things the ICU controls work fine.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well water could be causing all kinds of problems with electronics, so thats a definite possibility. Water could be shorting things out or corroding the connections.

And if your intermittent wipers dont work thats excuse enough to try a different ICU (for me at least). Once you get the old one off you can pry it open and inspect the circuit board, and look for water. I was able to temporarily fix (for a short while) my intermittent wiper problem by pulling the ICU off and plugging it back in, you might try that too.

It sounds like a short or a bad connection since you can just wiggle the wires/ fuse box area. You could try wiggling things in a methodical manner moving one component at a time in an attempt to isolate the source.

Good luck
Old 03-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glad I read this, i've been having the same problem. I replaced the door trigger and did nothing (bought at a stealership) My random beeping comes on with seatbelt light, didn't know about the switch inside the door. time to get rid of this beep. Also was going to replace the ICU and I got a couple but didn't realize there was an A and B... I hope i got a B. Try to knock it all out next weekend.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i headed out to drive-thru place 1am lastnight, but before going there i parked in a car-wash stall and decided i was going to remove the ICU and the little speaker thing, i did'nt want to take long cause it was going to be in the 20's later, it was a little more difficult than i thought to unplug the clips from it, i was squeezing & pulling at the tabs around and had to work at it for a while, being carefull to not snap or break them, then what sucked is, in the middle of it suddenly the bright lights in all the carwash stalls shut off, and i was sitting in the dark, but i had 2 bright worklights and was able to see enough but made it harder, i got ICU out and pop it open and pryed up the speaker thing with a flathead, until the two pins popped out of the circuit board, then i put everything
back.

it was pretty cold so i had to take a couple little breaks warming up in car with door shut, also i had a stiff neck from being on my knees with head in floorboard area looking upward, i'm pretty sure that will fix it.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same beep, but it came from the seatbelt. Try to plug the passenger seatbelt, and see if it still beeping wehn u hit bump. what I did unplug the connector under the passenger seat and put short circuit on it so it seem like the seat belt always on. The seats is too old and the switch inside the seats already being sqeezed and stay like that thats whay it taking it as somebody sitting on it without the seatbelt on.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so far, so good since removing the speaker from inside the ICU (integrated control unit), cause it has not beeped once since using the car a couple different times, and the only way it can beep now is if it came from the other beeper that someone said is in a little black box behind the ignition switch area ?, but if it was then at least i know where it is to remove that one too, but for now its all good.