Notices

help diagnos: civic dying on me

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help diagnos: civic dying on me

A couple of weeks ago my 90 Civic/b18a started to have a surging idle, it bounced between around 1100rpm and 1800rpm. It seemed to come and go a bit...I just figured vacuum leak or something and ignored it for the time being.

The last couple of days it got a bit worse. Again, it did NOT happen all of the time.

Driving to work yesterday (about 15-20 minute drive), the surging got worse. I noticed my gauge lights get dim. Weird, I thought. Then I realized I had no headlights or tach. A short while later my radio cut out...then my gauge lights..then my clock. a block or 2 from work, I started losing power...the engine was bogging, almost as if I had it in 5th gear at slow speeds. It died as I parked my car. If I would try to crank it, NOTHING would happen. zero. BUT the warning lights (ie, check engine, oil, seatbelt) WOULD come on when I turned the key, and they WERE bright. Weird I thought..as I had figured the battery or alternator.

I went into the office, 20 minutes later came back to diagnose. The car was fine, it started right away, all my radio presets were there. Weird.

I worked the whole day, and drove home. same thing..it was fine for 10 or 12 minutes..then the same deal..lights starting going on, radio died, car started bogging, car died as I coasted into my driveway. Turned the key, nothing.

I went inside, and *2 minutes later* I came back to check it out...the car started fine, totally 100%. I just tried again this morning, and it runs like a top.

So what is this? If a component was overheating, I would think that it would take longer than 2 minutes to 'be fine'. If it was the battery, well, I would have to boost it. IF it was the alternator (which normally I would blame), the battery would lose its charge and have to be boosted. If it was the ECU, you would think it would be more sporadic or something. Or anything else for that matter..you'd think it would die and be toast....OR be intermittant. This seems to be consistant...it slowly dies...you let the car 'rest' for a bit...then its fine. Repeat.

ideas?
Matt
Old 01-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: help diagnos: civic dying on me (mkehler)

check your grounds