Notices

Help with Cam seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Cam seal

I replaced the cam seal on the driverside cams. The one that goes around the cam. I have a b18b. And i dont know how the seals go on? There are 2 different sides one that is open and i can see the spring, and the other is flat. I but the seal on when the spring side is facing out like towards the cam gear. I got back my old cams and i see that the seals are on the opposite way i put them on. Does it matter which way it is? and will it leak
Old 08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Help with Cam seal

Yes it matters. Put the seal in so the spring faces inboard ( = away from the cam sprocket, which you called the "cam gear"). If you have difficulty getting the old one out, use a corkscrew, and buy a second new one. Do not mar the shaft on which the seal is mounted.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ok thanks i will change flip it today
Old 08-31-2009, 01:07 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by honda.lioness
Yes it matters. Put the seal in so the spring faces inboard ( = away from the cam sprocket, which you called the "cam gear"). If you have difficulty getting the old one out, use a corkscrew, and buy a second new one. Do not mar the shaft on which the seal is mounted.
If you think camshaft gear is wrong think again.

Definition of a "sprocket" =
1. Machinery. a. Also called chain wheel, sprocket wheel. a toothed wheel engaging with a conveyor or power chain.
b. one tooth of such a wheel.

Definition of a "gear" =

1. Machinery. a. a part, as a disk, wheel, or section of a shaft, having cut teeth of such form, size, and spacing that they mesh with teeth in another part to transmit or receive force and motion.
b. an assembly of such parts.
c. one of several possible arrangements of such parts in a mechanism, as an automobile transmission, for affording different relations of torque and speed between the driving and the driven machinery, or for permitting the driven machinery to run in either direction: first gear; reverse gear.
d. a mechanism or group of parts performing one function or serving one purpose in a complex machine: steering gear.

Given by definition sprocket would most likely be the more correct way to define such a piece of metal, but in the automotive world it is referred to as a gear unless of course you are from the 1910's.

Also, OP do not do it the ghetto way. Take off the valve cover as well as the camshaft cap. Then take the seal off and put it on the right way and be sure to use RTV as appropriate on the mating sections. If you use the "cork screw method" then you will surely seat the seal in an awkward binding condition and that is truly the ghetto way of doing it.

Also if you look at the front of the seal (flat side) it might have an arrow indicating direction. Since Honda motors are Reverse Rotation, the manufactures will (most of the time) indicate that the seal is for CCW rotation.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ok thanks a lot i am going to take off the VC and the cam cap and the cam gear off tonight.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why would you pull cam caps to replace the cam seals?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:45 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Why wouldn't you? Do you like doing things the half assed lazy way?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

and it would be easier to work with.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Why wouldn't you? Do you like doing things the half assed lazy way?
eat a *ick, it's not necessary to pull the caps to replace this seal. if you do, you're simply wasting time and effort. leave the caps in place, remove the old seal with a pick awl, lube up the new seal, and tap it in with an appropriately size socket. i and a friend of mine who's a mechanic have been doing it this way for years, and to date there's never been an issue.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:25 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Child, you need to calm down. Who gives a flying rip what your friend "is"... I WAS an ASE Master Tech a few years back and I am no clown like you. Either way you answered my question, you prefer the half assed way. I never said it was necessary or not but as always there is a right way to do things and the clown way to do it.

You can stick your fingers in a blender a million times and never have a problem but put them in there a little too far just one time and you could loose a hand.

To each his own, I like doing it the right way, but sure go ahead... wait you are from Ohio... never mind.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha ha, you guys are funny
Old 08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Given by definition sprocket would most likely be the more correct way to define such a piece of metal, but in the automotive world it is referred to as a gear unless of course you are from the 1910's.
OEM parts sites and the Factory Service manual refer to it as a "pulley." Chilton's refers to it as both a sprocket and a pulley. Nowhere in these manuals is it called a gear. I do not like calling it a pulley because it is so easy to confuse it with the crankshaft pulley on which ride the auxiliary (a/c, p/s, and alternator) belts. Regardless, the important thing is that the OP was complete enough that I knew what he meant.

Remove the camshaft cap? Unless I was planning on unbolting the rocker arm/shafts assembly anyway for some other maintenance, no way would I do this. This is because the torque has to be applied in a specific sequence yada to the camshaft holder bolts. That is, if you undo any camshaft holder bolts, you have to undo them all and then re-install them, torquing in a certain order. Otherwise the force holding down the camshaft is uneven. Then since the rocker arm/shafts assembly had to be removed, you must do a valve adjust. IOW, you are insisting on a lot of extra labor that is unnecessary.

The corkscrew is only for removing a stubborn old seal. To install the new seal, I cut a plastic piece from a plastic soda bottle, apply oil to the seal inner diameter, roll the plastic up so it fits into the seal, and then slide the plastic roll onto the journal (= shaft) so it is almost fully seated. To do the final seating of the seal, use a washer that fits the seal almost perfectly, some PVC pipe that is about the diameter of the washer, and a small hammer.

I have never seen an OEM Honda cam pulley/sprocket seal with a direction arrow on it.

To the OP, getting the seal on properly is a little tricky. The lip will roll up if you are not careful. Go slowly.

Last edited by honda.lioness; 09-01-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Child, you need to calm down. Who gives a flying rip what your friend "is"... I WAS an ASE Master Tech a few years back and I am no clown like you. Either way you answered my question, you prefer the half assed way. I never said it was necessary or not but as always there is a right way to do things and the clown way to do it.

You can stick your fingers in a blender a million times and never have a problem but put them in there a little too far just one time and you could loose a hand.

To each his own, I like doing it the right way, but sure go ahead... wait you are from Ohio... never mind.
lawlz, i'll just keep "clown'n" i guess. wtf ever dude, just keep at it with the verbal diarrhea. maybe eventually you'll drown in it.