Notices

ground wires.. best solution?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ground wires.. best solution?

What is the best solution to getting a good ground from all the different point on the engine? Where can i buy some quality grounding wires? Also, if i wanna make a ground from the neg post on the battery to the body of the car, how can i best do this. See my car, it has grounding problems kinda, but when i push the neg. post up against the CAI it works great, everything does. Thank you.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:59 PM

Default Re: ground wires.. best solution? (GroundZer0)

is your ground wire bare wire or insulated, if its bare wire, i'd understand why puching it against the CAI would ground it, but if its insulated, then im lost
check where the ground wire connects to the frame of the car, u may want to take it off, clean the surface and put it back on.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ground wires.. best solution? (Hcivic88)

Well heres how it all looks.

The ground wire from the valve cover to the body of car, looks kinda old and is like a mesh like material with too loops for screws on each end.

Thermostat wire, is just the 2 wires connected with a screw to thermostat.

The post on the battery, its just the bare metal that screws onto the battery post, and when touches the CAI will make everything work right.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The negative cable from your battery goes to the engine or tranny right?
Old 09-13-2002, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ground wires.. best solution? (Phat_Optimo)

Hmm what do you mean? Is there suppsoed to be something connected to the negative post that goes elsewhere then where the actuall battery is wired? If so, no there is nothin there.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is supposed to a wire comming off the negative post just like theres a wire comming off the positve that goes to the starter. The negative post should have a wire going straight to the engine or tranny. 4 gauge or so.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm any chance, anyone got any pics of this? I dont have one on my po post either.. hmm i should check this out. Thanks a ton.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea man ground your tranny to the battery. They have thoes ground cables at the auto parts store. No pics sorry man. Anyone else know what I am sayin'
Old 09-13-2002, 08:52 PM

Yea man ground your tranny to the battery. They have thoes ground cables at the auto parts store. No pics sorry man. Anyone else know what I am sayin'
Yeah even my Mom knows about the negative ground wire from the battery to the transaxle housing, if you don't have it connected how is this guy having any "power" continuity at all? Sounds like you just need a engine-chasiss ground, try that and keep us posted.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:03 PM

Default Re: ground wires.. best solution? (HybridFiend)

If you just goto a car audi shop and get some decent wire and redo all your grounds you should have no more problem. I saw this thing is SuperStreet made by aerospeed that has a distribution block with about 6 8ga ground wires, says it will solve all your ground problems.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sup yeah do what Phat_Optimo I was having problems with mine as well. The guy that owned the car before me did alot of dumb stuff to it. When I got the car it didnt have a ground wire from that battery to the motor at all. So I just went to my local parts store took a lead of the neg terminal of my battery and took the other lead and ran it to my tranny. Should be a nice bolt on the side of the tranny. Very easy to find. If you want I can take pics tomorrow and send them to you by email.

[Modified by illusive, 8:38 AM 9/14/2002]
Old 09-14-2002, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ground wires.. best solution? (illusive)

Yea do you think you could do that for me? i just wanna see some pics of what its supposed to look like. The guy who had the car before me did so much stupid **** to it.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to bring this back up, but does anyone have pictures of this? the previous owner relocated the battery to the rear and the wires are all messed up...where exactly is the starter? Cus on the positive cable that goes to the main fuse box, theres another wire connected to it. It goes to somewhere on top of the tranny... the battery is in the back and grounded to the chassis, but there isnt a tranny ground, at least i dont think so...also, can bad grounds cause bad idles? because my idle is fine until i turn on the heater/ac or my aux. lights...TIA!
Old 01-29-2003, 08:37 PM

Default Re: ground wires.. best solution? (Infinity_Racer)

my battery is in the trunk also.... i grounded it to the bottom of the spare tire well. works fine for me.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ground wires.. best solution? (JDMB16ACRX)

Actually doesnt the ground wire from the battery first go to the body then to the tranny?? I know thats how mine is it has one solid wire but there is a screw that grounds it on the body then continues on to ground on the tranny.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ground wires.. best solution? (Vinceg99)

where's the ground located on the tranny? is there somekind of bold or something? TIA
Old 01-30-2003, 06:11 AM

hey guys, if no one posts a pic by the time i get home from work tonite i'll do it.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to bring this back up, but does anyone have pictures of this? the previous owner relocated the battery to the rear and the wires are all messed up...where exactly is the starter? Cus on the positive cable that goes to the main fuse box, theres another wire connected to it. It goes to somewhere on top of the tranny... the battery is in the back and grounded to the chassis, but there isnt a tranny ground, at least i dont think so...also, can bad grounds cause bad idles? because my idle is fine until i turn on the heater/ac or my aux. lights...TIA!
ya my car is just like urs... when ever i turn on the rear defroster and headlights, my car struggles at idle.... but i always thought it was becuz of a weak alternator... am i wrong?
Old 01-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ground wires.. best solution? (kim_2_da_chee)

hey spork, thanks a lot if you can do that for me...but yeah someone told me that it could be the alternator too, but its just that i dont want to dish out the cash, and it end up being something simple...i think i found the tranny ground wire, cus theres a cable that was obviously cut, but does that go to the chassis/body? anyone know how to remove the postive tranny cable? i'm going to try to re-do all the wiring, and see if that'll do anything...TIA!
Old 01-30-2003, 08:06 PM

For some reason my ftp isn't working right now, so i'll try again in a couple hours. But from the negative post it goes straight to a bracket on the tranny, the bracket is right by the clutch adjustment ****. I took some pics and I'll try to upload them again later tonite. -sean
Old 01-31-2003, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ground wires.. best solution? (sporkcrx)

thanks a lot sean...so does anyone know if bad grounds will cause a drop in IDLE if something is turned on?TIA
Old 01-31-2003, 06:00 PM

ftp still isn't working. If you want I can send someone the pics and you can post em.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ground wires.. best solution? (sporkcrx)

well i found the cable and grounded that to the chassis...cleaned up all the cables and tightened them up...didnt get a chance to test it out 'cus its 12:30 right now and its raining, and i'm tired and i have work tomorrow...so hopefully, it'll (idle) be better tomorrow...*crosses fingers*
Old 02-01-2003, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well....after re-doing all of my battery cables, i started her up this morning and it was running great...then after it warmed up, and i was half way to work, the idle started to jump between 1K - 1500, back and forth, back and forth...i got to work and unplugged the EACV and the idle was at about 800...so i lowered it down by adjusting the idle screw, turned the ignition off, took the hazard fuse out to restart my ECU, plugged it back in along with the EACV, and started her up...now my idle was at around 700-800, but as soon as i turn on anything, it dips to just a hair above 500...anyone else? where is the TPS located? TIA!
Old 02-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tps is on the throttle body the side facing the firewall.

Quick Reply: ground wires.. best solution?