Notices

GHEY! I failed SMOG test in CA

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GHEY! I failed SMOG test in CA

Man this sux. cant believe I Failed lol. My car is completely stock except the Magnaflow muffler.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GHEY! I failed SMOG test in CA (CRX-Fluffy)

Holy **** man!! That sux bro...looks like it's just your NOx numbers that are off...how many miles are on your car? Honda has a top engine cleaner that is SUPER cheap, cleaned my car up REAL well, they charge 130 for the service, but the solution is only about 4 or 5 dollars. Get some of it, it needs to go in through a vacuum line on the intake manifold, it has instructions on the back. Seriously try it, it may solve your problem.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:34 AM

Try replacing your cat. Was the car hot or cold when you took it in? Next time try running it on the freeway for about 15-20 min to get the cat nice and hot. Then go to the smog shop and have them put it on the dyno right away. The hotter the cat is the better it "burns".

HTH, Good luck!
Old 02-07-2004, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GHEY! I failed SMOG test in CA (CptMidway)

couldnt u just get a VAFC and lean it out severly! would u pass if it was leaner!! we dont have smog here just a million other nutty laws so i dont really know how it works
Old 02-07-2004, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nox goes up when your combustion chamber temps reach higher than 2500 degrees. you may have a lean condition that is causing high CC temps. check your fuel filter and maybe your fuel press. regulator.
GM has it's own Top Engine cleaner for around $8.00 and it works great. all you do is pour it slowly into your TB @ idle until you have a bout 1/3 of the can left. then let your car sit for 15 minutes. Start it up again and pour the rest in until it stalls out. Then fire it up a gain. your car will be a smoke bomb!!!! But it cleans your top end really good. It will get most of the carbon deposits off the top of your valves.

Sometimes the carbon will actually soak up some of the fuel sprayed into the CC before it can be burned. Causing a lean condition.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helped

P.s. since your nox is high on both test I would def. check a restriction in your fuel delivery
Old 02-07-2004, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GHEY! I failed SMOG test in CA (JUNcr-x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUNcr-x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">couldnt u just get a VAFC and lean it out severly! would u pass if it was leaner!! we dont have smog here just a million other nutty laws so i dont really know how it works</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't lean it out. In this case your numbers will get worse
Old 02-07-2004, 09:26 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CptMidway &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try replacing your cat. Was the car hot or cold when you took it in? Next time try running it on the freeway for about 15-20 min to get the cat nice and hot. Then go to the smog shop and have them put it on the dyno right away. The hotter the cat is the better it "burns".

HTH, Good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you don't want to spend all that money on a new CAT, set your timing all the way down to 0 and few minutes before you put your car on the dyno, rev the car around 3,000 rpm to get it nice and warm. Sure, it will run like crap, but it should pass. I am speaking of personal experience.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GHEY! I failed SMOG test in CA (Proper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Proper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nox goes up when your combustion chamber temps reach higher than 2500 degrees. you may have a lean condition that is causing high CC temps. check your fuel filter and maybe your fuel press. regulator.
GM has it's own Top Engine cleaner for around $8.00 and it works great. all you do is pour it slowly into your TB @ idle until you have a bout 1/3 of the can left. then let your car sit for 15 minutes. Start it up again and pour the rest in until it stalls out. Then fire it up a gain. your car will be a smoke bomb!!!! But it cleans your top end really good. It will get most of the carbon deposits off the top of your valves.

Sometimes the carbon will actually soak up some of the fuel sprayed into the CC before it can be burned. Causing a lean condition.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helped

P.s. since your nox is high on both test I would def. check a restriction in your fuel delivery</TD></TR></TABLE>

I do NOT recommend doing it this way...unless I misread something, ANY type of fluid introduced into the compustion chamber needs to be done so at a steady rate, I would think pouring it in would risk serious damage to the engine. No offense man, but that post just makes no sense, and 8 dollars for engine cleaner? The Honda Top Engine Cleaner is by far the best **** I've used, and being that it's formulated specifically for Honda's, I wouldn't go with anything else, that stuff is the ****, I'm speaking from personal experience.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Re: GHEY! I failed SMOG test in CA (PSUCRX)

its the same **** lol

u cant buy it anymore in CA!!!

its Illegal
Old 02-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill be switching out a new cat (only 50 bux for a carsound magnaflow). The problem im guessing is because of the burning fuel problem I had with the Old DPFI injectors. I got some new ones and it runs fine now except i plugged up the Cat converter with carbon, so yeah thats probably why.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:04 PM

Ouch, it was a test only wasn't it? If it was anything like mine you had to wait an hour or two because of all the other cars. I was scared my cat wouldn't heat up, but luckily I passed fine. I'm curious to find out your solution, so bump for you
Old 02-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Banned

Solution = 200 dollars.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Re: (#jefs0ng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by #jefs0ng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Solution = 200 dollars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm guessing you mean paying the smog man off...it's much harder to do since ONLY a test only station can pass it.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GHEY! I failed SMOG test in CA (PSUCRX)

I am also speaking from personal use. Also my instructor who has been a smog tech for almost 15 years told our class about using the GM product(which I'm sure is probably the same thingas the Honda brand you are referring to). It is in no way dangerous to your vehicle to feed it into your TB. In fact those are the direction that are on the container itself. And how would something be formulated specifically for Honda's? Do they require anything special thats different from any other internal combustion engine??? That's like saying that there is a gasoline made specifically for Honda's......Anyway no big deal. To each his own. I'm sure both ways have been tested and have proven results
Old 02-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Banned

Default Re: (sporkcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm guessing you mean paying the smog man off...it's much harder to do since ONLY a test only station can pass it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah mine's test only. I did it.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:25 PM

oh yea? nor cal or so cal? (not sure where irvine is)
Old 02-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GHEY! I failed SMOG test in CA (Proper)

I mean it's formulated to be able to work in higher compression honda motors...did it in my friend's CTR swap...cleaned his **** right up...same with his brother's ITR...did a ton for those motors...plus I work for Honda and our tech's swear by it, especially our shop foreman, who's been working on cars for over 30 years, he's from Italy and started working for Alfa Romeo and is also a Nissan master tech.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used some $3 injector cleaner to do the smoke bomb trick. It smokes blackish for a few seconds as all the carbon flys out, then grey, and then James Bond 007 WHITE for about 10 minutes!

It works GREAT for cars that are failing hihg C0's that have fully operational parts, but if you have a bad part like a dead cat or a faulty O2 then I can't see that it's going to help much. CO's are usually due to dirty comustion or broken injectors - unburnt fuel stuff. Dirty intakes, dirty valves, dirty injector tips, and stuff like that lead to bad fuel atomization. That leads to incomplete combustion burns and high CO's.

A cat is so far off for high NoX. I don't know why people say this. If your cat was dead then your HC's would be through the roof. I would almost put money down that your O2 is dead. I haven't seen the car and I'm not a smog tech, but I have "been there... done that" enough times and read enough smog pages and posts to give me a clue. You might want to check into your fuel system too and make sure you're not running lean somehow. NoX is due to high internal combustion chamber temps. A lazy or bad O2 makes the car run lean and whoop - there goes the temps. You don't get a code from a lazy O2... only a BAD BAD BAD one. A clogged fuel system runs lean too.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh yea? nor cal or so cal? (not sure where irvine is)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Southern.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:58 PM

well ****, nevermind then
Old 02-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its your cat!!! i replaced my cat and the numbers dropped a lot!!! I tried the "guarantee to pass smog" solution but that helped a little bit. I also tried the Gm cleaner and that didn't really do anything. At the end I ended up paying for a new cat.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (honda-ef)

here was mine!
Old 02-07-2004, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New cat ordered - hopefully thatll drop my numbers a bit.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, Oh yeah since Im getting a new cat. Should i Get a carsound magnaflow with 2.25 Inlet/outlet or 2" inlet/outlet? My catback exhaust system is 2" all the way to back...cept I dunno what the other piping is from the downpipe. if you could post that would be great. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:00 PM

Default Re: (honda-ef)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda-ef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

here was mine!</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha I was correct

Quick Reply: GHEY! I failed SMOG test in CA