Notices

Electrical issues, No crank, No start, No power, battery fine, help

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issues, No crank, No start, No power, battery fine, help

I have a 1988 crx 1.5l. I just replaced the alternator as I was having draining issues with the battery and starting. Turns out my alt and bat needed a change about 1yr ago. So after the test at autozone was complete I purchased and installed new bat and alt. I was able to drive around for about a week before the problem happened. I got in the car recently and no start, NO POWER ANYWHERE, no clicking sound of the slightest from the starter, no Beeping noise from the keys in the ignition, no digital CLOCK readings, and 12.4V at the bat. I thought well new alt......could have an internal short as manufacturers are always upgrading or tweaking there products so I figured it could be possible, so I pulled the alternator green plug to disconnect it from the power system. Still no CLOCK indication, no beeping noise(I ruled out an internal short in the alt.). Had someone try to jump it, no luck, 2hrs later a little VW came by and it jumped and started with no problem...........DAM THIS IS POINTING TOWARD AN INTERMITTENT SHORT. Drove to Costco(close to where I was and got a $1.50 hot dog as I waited), got another bat. just in case(double checking all possibilities). Car won't start, ask for a jump from a mini van.....nothing happened....no noise nothing. I get frustrated waiting so I use the old bat. that I didn't return as a core to costco to get my $5 back so I used it to jump the car.....STARTED RIGHT UP. So I was thinking I don't think its a cold hot issue, maybe a short or a wire that is connecting and disconnecting do to moving wires when jumping. Still need to do some power checks on the blk/wht wire as it comes into the fuse box and on to the ignition switch. UNTIL THEN SINCE ITS RAINING RIGHT NOW does anyone have any input on here of such a thing on a CRX??? I see many posts across the net of the EXACT same thing but with no real answer or update on what the fix was. Read the archive here but the guy never gave an update on what fixed it. Thanks in advance
Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really think it starts when you move the battery wires a bit, check your negative wire and make sure its grounded on tight, clean it off if you want. Next time it happens, try just unplugging the negative and then plug it back in. I had this problem in my ef, like i would go in my car, press on my clutch, and then turn the key and all power to my car was cut off for some reason.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:47 AM

Default Re: (Hanmin)

Thanks for the quick response. I will try this as the negative wire(terminal BRAND new) is rusted. I AM BIG ON having any wire having the lowest resistance possible, I should have changed this awhile ago. TACOMA..... here i am complaining of rain and you live in a rainy state, Moved out of Tacoma about 6yrs ago, did my 4yrs at McChord. I'll give an update to what happened today after I replace the bat. ground wire, and DMM the blk/wht power wire to the ignition switch. Thanks again
Old 01-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Electrical issues, No crank, No start, No power, battery fine, help (inegma29)

No change in power when I move wires(all wires leading to ignition) around. I did find something useful, I am receiving power(my buddy has my DMM so no voltage reading, clifford alarm LED was my test probe) all the way to the MAIN fuse box(under hood) and on the output end of the box as well. Disconnected starter power (+) in case for some odd reason it was shorting out or what have you. Can't follow wht/blk stripe wire from main fuse panel(under hood) through the firewall and to the under dash fuse panel where the ignition plug is plugged in. HERE IS WHERE I STOP HAVING POWER. I pulled the ignition plug from the interior under dash fuse panel and tested male receptacle that is attached to the fuse panel for incoming power.....NOTHING. So at least I have some more troubleshooting info to go on.....
Old 01-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, we just had a lot of snow last night, i was hoping for no school today... but had to go 2 hours late.

I have no idea what the problem is, if it stops getting power to the ignition plug, then, if you don't care about hacking a couple wires, try a new plug.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Electrical issues, No crank, No start, No power, battery fine, help (inegma29)

ITS FIXED.

I was tracing the WHITE wire with a black stripe until I got passed the firewall and into the steering column. I for some reason would test the BLACK wire with white stripe. Black with white stripe is for power to the starter per this schematic:
http://img416.imageshack.us/my...h.jpg

So after I figured this out by looking over the schematic diagram it clicked..... I remember I was testing an all black wire with a white stripe. Raced down to the car, tested THE NOW CORRECT wire right at the back of the ignition key assembly and THERE WAS POWER.... WOOOOO WHOOOO. Man I feel a little stupid as the first thing that came to mind was the ignition but I blew it off as all makes and models of cars and even different years all do things ELECTRICALLY different so I figured there was some relay or what have you ELD comes to mind on the CRX etc...... Man all I need now is a new ignition assy. or wiggle it any time I have a problem.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Common problem, old ignition switches suck