Notices

EF Wont Start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 EF Wont Start.

There was a checklist before somewhere on here and now I cannot find it what-so-ever.

Okay so I drove my car to LA the other day. Walked around, come back, hesitates to start but does finally after a second. Next day it takes a couple more seconds to start. Finally 20 minutes later I go to get gas, turn off car, turn it on, doesn't start. I floor the gas, works in carb. engines figured it might do something to this, it starts finally. I go home later, go to bed, get up try to start it, it doesn't start. I get it jumped by my brother, drove it rest of day. Finally last night I unhooked neg terminal to save whatever juice it had. Started this morning barely. I let it run for an hour, turned it off wouldn't start. JUMPED IT AGAIN. Finally got home, tried to turn off/on again, wouldnt. I tried to jump it, wouldn't start either.

I just borrowed my friend's car to return old battery for new one doesn't turn over. Out of curiosity I try again to jump start it, won't start.

Specs:

SOHC ZC
90 DX
stock everything
I'm using the right ECU - pm6? I forget but I know I'm using the right one.
JDM ZC intake/si exhaust
Manual.... I can try to rolling start it but I dont want to get stuck if it wont turn on.

did swap back in late JUNE, worked this WHOLE time. Doesn't now. Haven't done anything to the engine since swap. Worked 100% no problems after swap too.

What else should I check? I ran the car earlier with the lights on/radio too and it all worked, so I'm guessing alternator is okay. I had battery hooked-up so I don't know if it was just getting juice off that?

Any ideas? It worked today after 1 last jump start but not since, so I figure it couldn't be a fuel problem because once it starts it drives 100% fine. But now I can't get it to start.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EF Wont Start.

Just checked the Clutch interlock switch. Not that, doesn't look like any fuses under hood are bad either. Anyone want to start giving me more places to look?

So far checked:
Battery (got a new one)
fuses under hood - look fine to me.
clutch interlock switch
Fuel pump - I'm 99% certain I can hear the fuel pump prime, dont know what else I'd be hearing.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alternator isn't recharging the battery?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EatMyVTEC :]
Alternator isn't recharging the battery?
Well would the accessories stay on while the car has finally started/on?

They we're working perfectly once it was started.
I was blasting the radio and it was working fine, I figure it would of dimmed the sound or limit the output. Didn't have lights going but I did at another time and they were working the same.

Running out of sunlight, gotta figure something out or wait til tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would believe so..
Go to auto zone and ask them to test your alternator. Come back with the results
Old 10-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

voltmeter! lol check what voltage the battery is getting while the car is running.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EatMyVTEC :]
I would believe so..
Go to auto zone and ask them to test your alternator. Come back with the results
I was told that they'll have to take it off. **** I should just do that tomorrow.... would make sense to do so and I believe they'll do it for free from what I remember.

Originally Posted by hatchet_honda
voltmeter! lol check what voltage the battery is getting while the car is running.
Cant get the car running... lol
Old 10-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

known good battery... car wont start...have you tried jumping the starter terminals?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

known good battery... car wont start...have you tried jumping the starter terminals?
No, I was going to do that tomorrow... 0 sunlight left, I haven't done that ever so I don't really know how/what to do.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bridge the positive terminal on the starter (big nut) to the spade terminal (smaller wire to the side) and see if the starter kicks in
Old 10-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check all of your ground wires. If you can get the star washers and make sure they are in the bare metal. I had this SAME problem and it turned out to be a loose ground wire on my transmission going to the chassis. I replaced all the engine ground cables and I haven't had a problem since. Sounds stupid, but it can be that easy.

Should be a wire from Valve cover to Chassis, Transmission to chassis, and I believe there might be one on the thermostat housing... can anyone verify?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by photec2
Check all of your ground wires. If you can get the star washers and make sure they are in the bare metal. I had this SAME problem and it turned out to be a loose ground wire on my transmission going to the chassis. I replaced all the engine ground cables and I haven't had a problem since. Sounds stupid, but it can be that easy.

Should be a wire from Valve cover to Chassis, Transmission to chassis, and I believe there might be one on the thermostat housing... can anyone verify?
yes. valve cover ground wire...ground wire from top of trans to the chassis then to negative battery post. and of course the ring terminal on the wiring harness that bolts to the thermostat housing
Old 10-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bridge the positive terminal on the starter (big nut) to the spade terminal (smaller wire to the side) and see if the starter kicks in
Originally Posted by photec2

yes. valve cover ground wire...ground wire from top of trans to the chassis then to negative battery post. and of course the ring terminal on the wiring harness that bolts to the thermostat housing
Okay thank you, I'll do that ASAP. I'll come back with results.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bridged the starter still won't start, how do you test the starter to see if it works? I checked the grounds as well, they look fine.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fixed it: Replaced Starter.

Done & Done.