Notices

DX 1.5 --> ZC - Let's make a sticky

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX 1.5 --> ZC - Let's make a sticky

Hello everyone,

I know that the swap question is an on-going thing that has a lot of interest, myself included.

I have a lot of questions and have been doing a lot of research on this particular swap and thought - Someone who has done this should have a list of compatibles, points, issues and advice somewhere. If there is I couldn't find it.

I'm starting with a stock (1987-1991) 4th Gen. Civic DX with an ODB-0 1.5 liter Dual point fuel injection system.

I have found information that says the following engines are a direct swap:
D15b1 (stock engine) (SOHC dpfi)D16a6 (SOHC mpfi) (need info here on Vtec and non-vtec)D16 ZC (Often refered to as simply a "ZC) (SOHC mpfi)D16Z6 (DOHC mpfi)
I want to stick closest to the ZC (SOHC) as possible. If the DOHC is the same we should note it.

As far as transmissions go research is saying:
ZC engine and Trans (need trans. Id no here) when replacing the stock trans. must also replace the axles with axles from 90-93 Integra.

If no transmission swap is involved all the listed engines above are direct bolt to the DX OEM transmission. (Need confirmation on this)

I am reading also - that the stock DX ECU (PM-5) will not work with the upgraded engines.

Matching ECU to engine:ZC = PM7 (JDM)D16a6 = PM6

Next we need information about wiring harnesses and compatibility. Not necessarily repeated but hot linked to sticky and on-line references.
ZC
A6
Z6

Need to know about other components that need to be replaced/changed:
Vacuum hoses
Fuel lines
Fuel pump
Electrical lines
Fuses

Cooling systems

Shifting linkage

I think that's everything that I ran through with the D15b --> ZC.

If we could do something like this for pretty much any swap I'll bet it would be a really valuable tool.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: DX 1.5 --> ZC - Let's make a sticky

start with reading the FAQ that is already a sticky before thinking you can even request your own because you lack the ability to do your own research properly.

here, ill give you a head start. learn what ZC means.
https://honda-tech.com/honda-crx-ef-...eries-3186610/
Old 04-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DX 1.5 --> ZC - Let's make a sticky

Thanks Tyson - you're right, I didn't research properly.

To the people out there who are in the same place as I am:

You guys who are searching for this information can find a start here: https://honda-tech.com/honda-crx-ef-...-faqs-1508680/

Scroll down to section "7 - Engine Swaps and Conversions" then "e - DOHC ZC swap"
From there, #1 was a dead link. #2 takes you to a new web page "http://thezcr.com/forums/"

Tyson's link did provide some disambiguation regarding the origin, history and similarities between the ZC, D16a6, SOHC, DOHC and Vtec's of the D16 series.

Unfortunately, it didn't provide a consolidated, clearly defined list of compatible and necessary components to complete the task, which was the whole point.

So - it appears that a SOHC JDM ZC engine is a direct fit to the standard transmission of the (88-91) 4th gen. civic. If you swap both the engine/transmission you will need to obtain some Integra axles of the same year.

There was a note about the cam shaft in the ZC - apparently it's a bit more aggressive than the one found in the D16a6 though they are supposedly interchangeable.

The stock d15b engine in the DX is a DPFI. If you own an Si you have an engine already running MPFI.

In upgrading from the stock DX engine to the ZC you will need to include that MPFI upgrade including the appropriate ECU.

You will need to switch out the stock PM5 ECU with an ECU specific for the ZC which is the PM7 . The Si has a PM6. I read that the PM6 will work with the ZC but it wasn't considered the best solution.

Lastly, the wiring harness. I'm not familiar with the methodology for clustering the wire and the electrical components between the engine and ECU. The electrical diagrams are easy enough to figure out but diagrams aren't the same as real wire and engine compartments.

Any clarification/correction from the vets would be appreciated.