Notices

driving with a loose tie rod what can happen?

Old 12-30-2004, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving with a loose tie rod what can happen?

hey I just found out I had a bunch of things wrong with my car so I'm gonna put off fixing my loose right side outer tie rod for about a month or two. What I need to know is:

1. is it going to cause anything else to break or get loose or messed up?
2. can the loose outer tie rod cause the car or anything to make the car stranded(undrivable)?

I was going to fix it but I found out I have a bent drive shaft and the guy told me if it breaks the wheels won't turn so I'm fixing that first.

By the way does anyone have a 91 integra distributor obd-0? if so email me please iamphatbacon@yahoo.com thanks
Old 12-30-2004, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: driving with a loose tie rod what can happen? (ef_you)

it should be fine if your not making any hard turns or giving it all the time cuz to much pressure will cause it to bend then maybe brake
Old 12-30-2004, 09:34 PM

number 1, I wouldn't drive on the loose tie rod. Worse case scenario your whole right side could basically colapse. If you want to save money and work I would just fix it now instead of risking it. Also, what kind of honda do you have that you could have a bent drive shaft? Do you mean a axle?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:36 PM

thanks, what happens if it breaks? Right now I drive real slow cuz I'm using stock distributor for a b18a so the car doesn't really have any juice unless I really step on it but when it "catches" goes kinda crazy but I don't plan to run it till I get everything fixed

any other opinions/scenarios anyone?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:38 PM

I got a 91 hf bent drive shaft I dont know he just said it's bent. I think a mechanic tried to sabotage my car. both my inner CV boots are twisted and losing grease so I THINK that's what he means by it not shure though
Old 12-30-2004, 09:39 PM

whoever PMed me can you do it again I accidently closed the box and can't find it this trial use stuff is pissing me off I used to run forums on other sites now I can't even post more than 5 that is BS
Old 12-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ef_you)

Worst case, it breaks and you loose steering on the one side, causing your car to hook to the left or right, running up a side walk and hitting a whole family where 1 only survives to live the rest of there life in pain.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:07 PM

wow I guess that would be the worst case scenario, but why couldn't you kill both people? Wouldn't that be better, if it was me I would take out both, but otherwise your car would hook hard to one side causing you to go into on coming traffic or a ditch or sidewalk or house. So try not to drive on it at all
Old 01-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: driving with a loose tie rod what can happen? (hallusin8crx2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hallusin8crx2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow I guess that would be the worst case scenario, but why couldn't you kill both people? Wouldn't that be better, if it was me I would take out both, but otherwise your car would hook hard to one side causing you to go into on coming traffic or a ditch or sidewalk or house. So try not to drive on it at all</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because you would feel worse knowing the son or mother was still alive in pain over her sons death.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: driving with a loose tie rod what can happen? (90blackcrx)

A new tie rod is like $20. Fix it yourself with the help of the "search" function.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

actually, i dont think anything is going to happen with a loose tie rod. theres no way a ball joint is going to be SO loose it will pop out with normal driving. so you ppl giving morality lessons should just keep it to yourselves.

but its not hard to replace, just requires an alignment afterwards.

i think you need to either find a new mechanic, or try to communicate with him better, or just do your own maintenence, which honestly i realize not everyone can do for experience/time/resource reasons.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: driving with a loose tie rod what can happen? (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually, i dont think anything is going to happen with a loose tie rod. theres no way a ball joint is going to be SO loose it will pop out with normal driving. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just had a ball joint pop out when I pryed one apart, so don't tell me it can't happen.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I just had a ball joint pop out when I pryed one apart, so don't tell me it can't happen. </TD></TR></TABLE>

He said under "normal" driving conditions. Prying is a different story.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: driving with a loose tie rod what can happen? (fourthgenhatchB17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fourthgenhatchB17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He said under "normal" driving conditions. Prying is a different story.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I put barely any weight on it, this could of happen under normal driving conditions. One bump is all it takes.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: driving with a loose tie rod what can happen? (fourthgenhatchB17)

I had a ball joint pop out on me while I was driving at 25 miles an hour and ended up in a wall, so don't tell me it can't happen under "normal" conditions, because it is very likely it could happen, so get it fixed and don't listen to that other guy unless you want a chance at loosing your whole car
Old 01-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: driving with a loose tie rod what can happen? (hallusin8crx2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hallusin8crx2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had a ball joint pop out on me while I was driving at 25 miles an hour and ended up in a wall, so don't tell me it can't happen under "normal" conditions, because it is very likely it could happen, so get it fixed and don't listen to that other guy unless you want a chance at loosing your whole car</TD></TR></TABLE>

For people that don't think it can happen, take a look. This happen from putting a pickle fork in there and lightly applying pressure. Its amazing how some people take care of there cars, I hate by used cars.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fixing worn suspension parts is cheaper than fixing your car and more damaged suspension parts after something gives. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its amazing how some people take care of there cars</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-05-2005, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ef_you &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey I just found out I had a bunch of things wrong with my car so I'm gonna put off fixing my loose right side outer tie rod for about a month or two. What I need to know is:

1. is it going to cause anything else to break or get loose or messed up?
2. can the loose outer tie rod cause the car or anything to make the car stranded(undrivable)?

I was going to fix it but I found out I have a bent drive shaft and the guy told me if it breaks the wheels won't turn so I'm fixing that first.

By the way does anyone have a 91 integra distributor obd-0? if so email me please iamphatbacon@yahoo.com thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Worst that can happen is you lose control when you lose steerign and you kill yourself and maybe someone else in oncoming traffic.

Replace any loose suspension components immediately.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: driving with a loose tie rod what can happen? (virginia_dude)

Cv boots can leak for a very long time before the joint goes out. If your inner cv joints are bad, your car would shake real bad everytime you step on the gas.

If your boots are just leaking and the joints arent bad yet, I'd suggest getting the tie rod end replaced first.

Also, if your mechanic says your "drive shaft is bent", I'd find somewhere else to get your car fixed.

You could also just do it yourself. Replacing axles and tie rods ends is very easy.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: driving with a loose tie rod what can happen? (virginia_dude)

Regardless if you drive slow or not, to drive any type of motorized vehicle with a "known" suspension problem, let alone one which deals with the steering of the vehicle is well, to be quite honest, dumb.

It doesn't make much difference if you are driving "slower" when you cross the center line at let's say 25 mph because your tie rod separated and you have now entered the oncoming traffic of lets say a dump truck traveling at 45 mph. Or let's say worse yet, an oncoming school bus traveling 35 mph with a bus load of kids.

If you have a failure of either item, your tie rod or the bent (axle I think you meant), you are more than likely going to create more expense because if either fail during use, you are going to have serious problems. Think about it.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: driving with a loose tie rod what can happen? (Slopoke)

It happened to me 5 days after I bought my CRX. the tie rod was loose and the whole passennger's side basically collapsed, just like someone else said. I needed to get a new axle, new tie rod, and it chipped some paint off of my fender. Not good!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: driving with a loose tie rod what can happen? (CeeAreEx90)

you know, im going to humbly retract my statement that the balljoint probably wont pop off while driving, since its apparent other have experienced this.

please drive carefully, and while you are ultimately responsible for the upkeep of your own car and actions, i believe your mechanic would have taken responsibility to have changed what was necessary for safety. i would hope him just "warning" you that its loose meant he thought it could reasonably slide for a while unreplaced instead of just saying so gets him "off the hook".
Old 01-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: driving with a loose tie rod what can happen? (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i believe your mechanic would have taken responsibility to have changed what was necessary for safety. i would hope him just "warning" you that its loose meant he thought it could reasonably slide for a while unreplaced instead of just saying so gets him "off the hook".</TD></TR></TABLE>

It depends, I'm sure he signed a paper which clearly states he ( the mechanic) is not liable. There is also a trick, sometimes you will get a customer that will not sign the paper saying the mechanic is not at fault. So sometimes the mechanic will trick them, saying ok here is your bill just sign this so we know you paid. Well what the customer does not know is the mechanic put a little note on the back of the paper saying I ( the mechanic ) is not reliable for anything. So say the guy does kill 10 people the next day, what will his first reaction be, its the mechanics fault he never told me blah blah blah. Cops go to the mechanics shop, boom the mechanic turns the paper over and says look, he signed it saying I'm not liable.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, well, like i said, "i would hope...." but it already appears he doesnt really trust his mechanic, which is why i said from the start to that "i think you need to either find a new mechanic, or try to communicate with him better, or just do your own maintenence."

Old 01-08-2005, 10:07 PM
2:1

it will be fine unless you really care about the tires you have on it right now because they will get jacked up from all the toe play