Notices

Drivers side cv axle issue.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side cv axle issue.

Ok So I just changed cv axles in my Brothers 89 Ef and the right side is fine but the left side I am having issues with. I had new wheels studs pressed in, I had the bearings replaced at the same time and when i go to tighten up the axle nut on the left side it locks up the hub and I dont even get it close to the 134 lbs. that its suppose to be torqued to before it locks up. I know its not the brakes because when i back it off the hub begins to move freely again. Is this normal for new bearings or is some thing wrong I am going to take the left side apart tomorrow to check to make sure I did everything right but I am sure I did its not hard changing out axles and this is not my first time by a long shot I am just stumped on the issue I am having this has never happened before.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Drivers side cv axle issue.

only things it could be is that it's not popped into the tranny all the way or it's the wrong length axle.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4drEF might be right but it kind of sounds as if the wrong bearing is in it allowing the hub (with the studs) to compress against the hub that houses the bearing when you tighten the nut. only issues ive seen from the wrong axle or one not all the way in is not being able to get the balljoint's connected.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both wheel bearings were identical to the ones replaced. The right side is perfect spins by hand when torqued down. I measured the axle length of the old one and the new both are identical. I had noticed that I forgot to remove the ring one the outer end of the axle so I removed it and still its not spinning by hand is there a bearing brake in period? I have no money to take it to a shop and me driving my brother around is killing me on gas as i dont get paid for another 10 days I am just screwed right now I have no clue on what the issue is. I pulled another set of hubs and checked the bearing as in how they are installed and the ones I had replaced are identical so I am as a loss on this i got no clue what it is.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Keyboard Humorist

You still have old axle
Put old axle in. That should narrow down what the problem is to either axle or hub.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the old axle does it too I would have to assume its the bearing but I don't see a shop useing a wrong bearing and it still fit, as far as I know most Hondas are the same.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Originally Posted by skill178
If the old axle does it too I would have to assume its the bearing but I don't see a shop useing a wrong bearing and it still fit, as far as I know most Hondas are the same.
If the old axle does it too, then you
KNOW FOR SURE
it has to be something in the hub.