Notices

Driver door ajar doesnt activate interior light

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver door ajar doesnt activate interior light

Hoping someone has come across this problem before on there car. Today I installed a 48 LED panel into my interior dome light, fit inside the entire square perfectly and looks great. Then I guess I put the switch for the dome light in the middle position, which aparently Ive never done before.

And to my amazement, my interior light turned on when I opened the passenger door (this is an EF7 so passenger is left side). And it turns off when I close the door.

But on my drivers door, nothing happens when I open the door. And this is obviously the door I will mostly be using once Im ready to drive the car. I tried pushing the "L switch" (assuming that is what triggers it) but nothing was working.

When I bought the car the drivers door latch thats bolted into the door jam was loose, all I did was simply tighten the screws for that but I thought Id mention it.

How would you guys go about diagnosing and fixing this? Its a very nice feature that I didnt even know the Crx had!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Post a reply 4 posts • Page 1 of 1 Driver door ajar doesnt activate interior ligh

take the L bracket switch out and check and make sure the wire is connected in the back of it. Its one wire.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Post a reply 4 posts • Page 1 of 1 Driver door ajar doesnt activate interior ligh

will do
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Driver door ajar doesnt activate interior light

If it's connected still sometimes it just needs a small whack with your fist. We drive 20 years old cars so things get stuck lol.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

the wire was still connected securely
Old 07-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vagitarian
Hoping someone has come across this problem before on there car. Today I installed a 48 LED panel into my interior dome light, fit inside the entire square perfectly and looks great. Then I guess I put the switch for the dome light in the middle position, which aparently Ive never done before.

And to my amazement, my interior light turned on when I opened the passenger door (this is an EF7 so passenger is left side). And it turns off when I close the door.

But on my drivers door, nothing happens when I open the door. And this is obviously the door I will mostly be using once Im ready to drive the car. I tried pushing the "L switch" (assuming that is what triggers it) but nothing was working.

When I bought the car the drivers door latch thats bolted into the door jam was loose, all I did was simply tighten the screws for that but I thought Id mention it.

How would you guys go about diagnosing and fixing this? Its a very nice feature that I didnt even know the Crx had!
Lol

Ah remove the L shape tab and clean off the little metal panel. If I remember correctly sometimes it builds up with rust and other junk and deteriorates the connection
Old 07-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It would either be that the switch is faulty or the wire has a short/break in it somewhere.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't know, but maybe this will help...

Old 07-04-2012, 11:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

thanks man Ill do that continuity test tomorrow to
Old 07-08-2012, 12:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ya well crap, first I swapped the switches from pass door to driver door, but the problem stayed on the drivers side, so I know the switch is good. Then I took the drivers side switch out and grounded the wire straight to chassis and the light still didnt activate. So youre thinking my wire may be damaged some were?

Im no expert on tracing wires, and I definetely dont have a wiring diagram for a RHD EF7

What would be the best way to fix this problem just so that the light works?? Id really love to avoid removing the interior rear side panel but thats probably innevitable for where this wire travels
Old 07-09-2012, 01:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

bump
Old 07-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe that wire goes along the door sill and under the dash. Look for the same color and check it further down the line.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Goes under the dash all by itself you think? Im not quite sure how to test where the break would be, or how to go about fixing this.

I just want the silly light to come on when I open the door!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try taking the light out again and check for any loose wires that arent plugged in,I think there's one for each door trigger.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

which light are you talking about?? I did remove both door triggers and each wire was connected properly and securely
Old 07-10-2012, 10:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

bump id love some help with how to make this light work
Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem in mine but the only thing wrong with mine was the switch was messing up (10 pushes of the switch and that fixed that problem), light bulb was blown and the door switch was faulty. When i opened the door, the switch would move as it should but would not activate the light. I just had to push it and it would make the connection and turn the light on. After 4 months of driving the car, it stopped messing up. I got lucky i guess. Good thread here though.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Well my bulb works perfect, tuns on everytime with the passenger side (its rhd remember)

And I switched the passenger side switch to the drivers side and still only the drivers side didnt activiate the light, so the switch is confrmed good.

Its wiring I guess, but I dont know how to sort it, how to find the break, or how to fix the break without removing the huge plastic piece from the rear interior
Old 07-22-2012, 03:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Any help on how I can trace this WITHOUT pulling that large rear interior panel, which where does the wire end up so I can maybe check continuity?? to be SURE its a broken wire
Old 07-22-2012, 03:16 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't remember if yours has the dash warning panel like the old accord? I keep thinking it does, those warning panels actually control the dome light and the door switches are just inputs, if the module has failed one door won't work , I had the same issue. if it has the warning center, you can test the door switch right up to it, if it has continuity to ground when the door is open,it's the module
Old 07-22-2012, 03:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Nothing on the dash indicates a door ajar no. I believe there is an indicator in the cluster, but it may just be for the hatch I forget.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i know the wire runs below the rear seats (same spot in a CRX)

there are shop manuals floating around out there that show exactly where all the wiring in the car goes to. every little bit. that's where CRXcaliber got his from.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Mine is RHD so the manuals arent very helpful. I really would like to make SURE i have a break in a wire by doing a continuity test somehow. But Im not sure there the wire ends up so I can touch both ends for the test
Old 07-23-2012, 09:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

bump
Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 PM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by Vagitarian
Mine is RHD so the manuals arent very helpful. I really would like to make SURE i have a break in a wire by doing a continuity test somehow. But Im not sure there the wire ends up so I can touch both ends for the test
check at the dome light switched ground wire, almost every honda made has two wires in usually the white/blue wire is 12 volts, and the other is the door switched ground, the ground to manually turn on the light at the switch, is provided by the light being screwed to the roof, test between the ground wire at the light and see if it grounds while moving the door switch, yours should be exactly the same as a left hand drive ,the wires are probably switched is all, normally they go up to the roof through the B pillar on the drivers side, and the wire from the opposite switch runs across the front edge of the rear seat,or close to that area, normally in a rubber looking tube, have you checked the connector the switch attaches to? It's unusual for a wire to fail in the middle of a harness

Quick Reply: Driver door ajar doesnt activate interior light