Notices

dohc zc stumbles hesitates when cold, fine when warm

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dohc zc stumbles hesitates when cold, fine when warm

hey i have an ef hatch witg dohc zc swap.

I got the car running in horrible shape and with a tune up and new vacuum lines got it running smoother. The problem is the car hesitates and stumbles and even backfires on acceleration when not warmed up. If i try to drive it cold it will run really bad and hesitate with acceleration. However when its warm it does fine. Yesterday however it started giving me more problems. It stalled at a stop twice and stalled when i was taking a curve and downshifted. It started up right away both times but when i was a block away from my buddies it stalled and didnt want to start. It ignited for a second then shut off. When it was driving earlier its idle would be different, sometimes as low as 800 or as high as 2700 rpm.
I believe its the iacv because of the idle it has, i believe its sticking while open and while closed. I had a check engine light but when i checked it was throwing just one code, and it was code 1 which is o2 sensor. My gas milage hasnt been as good as a 1.6 should be, my old da did better. Im thinking its iacv or coolant temp sensor but id like to have a second opinion. I just got another iacv so im gonna replace it and see how the car runs but any other ideas would be greatly apreciated.

Oh im running pg7 ecu, timings correct, i do have fuel pressure, spark plugs and cap+ wires are new.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: dohc zc stumbles hesitates when cold, fine when warm

Originally Posted by ghettoda9
hey i have an ef hatch witg dohc zc swap.

I got the car running in horrible shape and with a tune up and new vacuum lines got it running smoother. The problem is the car hesitates and stumbles and even backfires on acceleration when not warmed up. If i try to drive it cold it will run really bad and hesitate with acceleration. However when its warm it does fine. Yesterday however it started giving me more problems. It stalled at a stop twice and stalled when i was taking a curve and downshifted. It started up right away both times but when i was a block away from my buddies it stalled and didnt want to start. It ignited for a second then shut off. When it was driving earlier its idle would be different, sometimes as low as 800 or as high as 2700 rpm.
I believe its the iacv because of the idle it has, i believe its sticking while open and while closed. I had a check engine light but when i checked it was throwing just one code, and it was code 1 which is o2 sensor. My gas milage hasnt been as good as a 1.6 should be, my old da did better. Im thinking its iacv or coolant temp sensor but id like to have a second opinion. I just got another iacv so im gonna replace it and see how the car runs but any other ideas would be greatly apreciated.

Oh im running pg7 ecu, timings correct, i do have fuel pressure, spark plugs and cap+ wires are new.
Definitely sounds like a timing issue and an ECU issue. Faulty wiring could be the cause of the horrible idle time (because honestly, 2700 RPMs at idle is crazy. The highest i've ever seen in a car that wasn't modded up the *** is around 2000.) Check the sensor for corrosion.

Get your car re-tuned and timed. That might fix the mileage issue.

Also, try swapping the ECU if you can, with a known pg7 (that runs well). It might be the problem