Notices

Does JDM pass SMOG??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does JDM pass SMOG??

I recently purchased a D15B VTEC for my CRX. I was planning to swap it during this spring break but I was wondering if it would pass smog? I already failed with a D15B2 but planning to get a new cat and finish doing all the minor work. This would probably pass but after two years I need to smog check it again with my D15B VTEC. My friend told me that it was hard to pass smog with a JDM engine and I needed to do a lot of work to make it pass the test. Is this true?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does JDM pass SMOG?? (FOMULA91)

Old 02-28-2005, 01:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any healthy properly tuned engine should pass smog. Just because its JDM y0 doesn't mean it won't pass smog.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does JDM pass SMOG?? (LSVTEC 91 Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSVTEC 91 Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any healthy properly tuned engine should pass smog. Just because its JDM y0 doesn't mean it won't pass smog.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But hes in Cali...SMOG to him is not just a sniffer test but a completely different experience.
With only a couple exceptions, JDM engines will fail the visual...especially if there is no USDM equivalent of the engine. Like a jdm B18c will work as replacement for a B18c1. Anyway, I don't think the D15b is on that list but you can try and fool them on the visual and tune it so you can pass the sniffer.

Hypothetically speaking, fooling the visual...
1. Remove any performance items...header, intake whatever. Stock. Stock. Stock. You don't want to attract any attention.
2. Engine code...get a numeric metal stamp set. You'll need to add a number to the D15b to make it look like a USDM engine. Or several numbers...find the same engine/car in junkyard and copy any numbers present.You'll have to do a good enough job stamping as to not arouse any suspicion, so practice before hitting the block.
Engine codes:
D15B2 1.5 16V SOHC PGM-FI 88-91 Civic DX/LX
D15B6 1.5 8V SOHC PGM-FI 88-89 Civic/CRX HF
D15B6 1.5 8V SOHC PGM-FI 90-91 Civic/CRX HF
D15B7 1.5 16V SOHC PGM-FI 92-95 Civic DX/LX
D15B8 1.5 8V SOHC PGM-FI 92-95 Civic CX
D15Z1 1.5 16V SOHC VTEC-E PGM-FI 92-95 Civic VX
I would go for the B7 because it's the closest configuration(mpfi, 1.5, 16v). If your valve cover says vtec, find one that doesn't....there are a few floating around.

3. Match ecu stickers to whatever engine code you picked(P05, P06, PM5 etc). Sounds **** but I understand they check if they get suspicious and start really looking at your car..

4. Make sure you have all the required emissions equipment...cat, egr, o2 sensor(s) for your chosen engine code. Make sure all vacuum and fuel lines are properly routed.

If they call you on it all...play dumb. Say your stock engine died last year and you paid a shop in [insert another state] to replace the engine for you. The shop said it was from a newer Civic and that it should be legal in Cali.
If they run the engine code/numbers you copied, it should come up as a junkyard car and you can only assume that's where the shop got the engine.
They might want to see some paperwork supporting this...claim you don't have it with you/forgot it. Offer to go get it and bring it back...take your car and worry about what to do next if it comes to that.

Risky? Kinda. But the alternative is switching back to a stock engine just for SMOG.

Here's some other tips:
http://www.norcalcrx.org/libra...shtml
http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org/ref99.html

Old 02-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does JDM pass SMOG?? (davens)

But dose visual matter if you go to BAR?
Old 02-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think you can get the D15b JDM engine through BAR, but I could be wrong.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FOMULA91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But dose visual matter if you go to BAR?</TD></TR></TABLE>

OF COURSE IT DOES. Ref won't even do the emission test if it doesn't pass visual.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Does JDM pass SMOG?? (LSVTEC 91 Civic)

it passes better being JDM durr

Old 02-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does JDM pass SMOG?? (Ace$nyper)

I took my 91 Si with a d15b to a test only station and passed with flying colors. But I had the stock intake and header on and I unplugged my vtec solenoid and tucked it away under the wiper motor. I also have a stock US valve cover that doesn't say vtec on it(although the one my motor came with does say it). The tech didn't even look twice. he just hooked up the sensors and ran the test. I was there as soon as they opened and there was 1 car tested infront of me and a few waiting behind me so he wasn't concerned with being too thorough he just wanted to hurry up and get through all the cars waiting.
So I would recommend getting there as soon as they open on a Sat so you can ensure there will be a few people waiting to get there's done also.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Does JDM pass SMOG?? (davens)

i actually just moved to so cal and i was wondering wtf is a visual test is it basically them checking for non usdm parts?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does JDM pass SMOG?? (gweedo550)

My buddy passed w/ his D15B in his Si eg...i think u have a chance.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does JDM pass SMOG?? (APEX CRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by APEX CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OF COURSE IT DOES. Ref won't even do the emission test if it doesn't pass visual. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If he goes to the Chula Vista REF, they still do the tailpipe test even if you don't pass visual. At least, they did with mine. Although, if your entire engine is un-smoggable, I don't see them testing the tailpipe. The only part of the visual that I didn't pass was one emissions hose wasn't rated properly

Your jdm d15b definitely won't pass the BAR test.

The guys there will know what it is..
Old 03-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does JDM pass SMOG?? (Mr_CRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr_CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Your jdm d15b definitely won't pass the BAR test.

The guys there will know what it is..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can almost guarantee they wont pass it! When I went to go get BAR'ed a couple months ago at the state ref, they were so thorough in their inspection of my CRX it was pretty amazing. The checked the ECU, the head, the block, and they also required that I give them the VIN to see if it was legit and legal, etc.

So in my opinion, it may be extremely difficult to get it past the state ref. And yes, those guys knew everything about Hondas believe it or not. Maybe it isn't like that where you live, but the state refs I went to totally knew their stuff. There is no fooling them, sorry.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does JDM pass SMOG?? (CRX_1.8T)

I was wondering about that same issue also because i just got a d15b vtec also, but i was thinking if you do all the wiring right, and make sure you dont have a cai and put the stock one on, oh yeah, make sure you dont have the breather filter on. But i'm almost for sure if the swap is done correctly without major racing parts or no modifications that you would be fine and pass, right?
Old 03-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does JDM pass SMOG?? (illwill33)

Just get a USDM d16z6 and call it a day
Old 03-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by illwill33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was wondering about that same issue also because i just got a d15b vtec also, but i was thinking if you do all the wiring right, and make sure you dont have a cai and put the stock one on, oh yeah, make sure you dont have the breather filter on. But i'm almost for sure if the swap is done correctly without major racing parts or no modifications that you would be fine and pass, right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it was your normal run-of-the-mill smog shop, then sure, you'd probably have a pretty good chance of passing without them knowing. Most little smog shops don't even know what a VTEC solenoid looks like.

We're talking about the Bureau of Automotive Repair smog test (smog Referees). These guys know their stuff. They check EVERY thing. They will look up the ECU # to make sure it is the correct one for the engine. They know that the d15b VTEC motor didn't come in any USDM car, and is not a legal replacement for any other USDM engine.

You might have been able to pass back in the day when the Ref's didn't know as much about Hondas (i.e. people passing 94+ B18Bs running off obd-0 ECUs), but with how popular modifying Hondas has become, you can't really slip anything past the Ref. Sometimes they let little things slide (like an obd-0 exhaust manifold on an obd-1 car in my case), but I really think I just got lucky on that.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Just Drank A 5th of VODKA Dare me to drive, Ca, u.s.

my buddy has passed BAR two times with jdm gsr motors, YES TWICE, TWO DIFFERENT CARS. the guys at the chula vista ref center are actually very helpful, not to mention knowledgeable...take it down, pay the 35 buck or whatever, have them look at it, make sure you tell them it's the same year or NEWER...if you fail they will tell you everything that is wrong...go home fix it and bring it back for you free re-test...it can be done i might be down there with you, LOL
Old 03-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does JDM pass SMOG?? (LoStMyBoOst)

Is it at SWC because I went there. They didn't really care and just tested my REX but I failed . Maybe next time.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LoStMyBoOst &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my buddy has passed BAR two times with jdm gsr motors, YES TWICE, TWO DIFFERENT CARS. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, I know you can pass JDM engines, but in this case we're talking about a d15b vtec, an engine that doesnt count as a "JDM replacement" like the JDM GSR motors do.

I know how helpful the guys at Southwest College are, thats where I got my CRX BAR'd I just didn't see any way for this JDM SOHC to pass the BAR. Thats what I was trying to get at.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Just Drank A 5th of VODKA Dare me to drive, Ca, u.s.

he almost should not even take it to the ref...you are right they might not realize the equivelant of that motor in the u.s. i hear you, good point
Old 03-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But i heard supposedly they can match the correct engine for the car by running the v.i.n., thats just what i heard but i dont know if its true or not. But if you think about it, what if your engine takes a dump on you, then you would have to get it replaced with another engine how would they know whether its jdm or usdm?
Old 03-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

because pre-96 blocks didn't have the VIN plate on them, but they still have a block number.

The smog Ref knows that a "d15b" with a VTEC solenoid on it isn't a USDM engine.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:01 PM

So D15Bs aren't BAR legal at all? I thought they were... is it because there is no USDM 1.5 l VTEC equivalent? (VX is VTEC-E so it doesn't count or what?)

Last time I had to get my car smogged, they told me to go to a "Test-Only" place - do they send cars that get modified a lot to test-only stations? Then if they notice your motor is not stock, they send you to the bar?

I thought it was smog legal as long as everything is CARB approved, your engine is the same year as your car or newer, and you are running everything that came on that motor (OBD1, stock emissions equipment, etc)

Also, Proper, that sounds like good advice... but didn't you get a CEL for unplugging the VTEC solenoid? or does it only give off a CEL if you get to normal VTEC rpm?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does JDM pass SMOG?? (whizdumb)

An engine equivalent to an 88-91 usdm is going to have high miles on it, the only way would be to either rebuild it or get a jdm engine, and its funny that it would not pass because smog laws in japan are a lot stricter than out here, you would figure it will pass as long as you have a cat, the o2 is in tact, no cai, no aftermarket headers, no breather filter and just make look as stock as possible and i woudl think i will pass, because i will be doing a sohc d15b vtec swap soon and i want to be sure that i can smog and register my car without any hassles. If you take it to a smog place that doesnt know about swaps and if they want your money, then they will make it pass if it looks stock.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by illwill33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An engine equivalent to an 88-91 usdm is going to have high miles on it, the only way would be to either rebuild it or get a jdm engine, and its funny that it would not pass because smog laws in japan are a lot stricter than out here, you would figure it will pass as long as you have a cat, the o2 is in tact, no cai, no aftermarket headers, no breather filter and just make look as stock as possible and i woudl think i will pass, because i will be doing a sohc d15b vtec swap soon and i want to be sure that i can smog and register my car without any hassles. If you take it to a smog place that doesnt know about swaps and if they want your money, then they will make it pass if it looks stock. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you read the posts before this? ignorance

Quick Reply: Does JDM pass SMOG??