Notices

DA knuckles, toe-in, and tie rods maxed out

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DA knuckles, toe-in, and tie rods maxed out

So, I just picked up some DA knuckles and brakes for super cheap and installed them about 2 weeks ago. I went to get an alignment, and there was some play in my steering rack/tie rods, and the shop wouldnt align it. I ordered a whole front-end rebuild kit from ebay with all new inner/outer tie rods, upper control arms w/ ball joints, and lower ball joints.

I finally got the parts installed and went back to the alignment shop today. They maxed out the tie rods, and I still have 5/32" toe-in on the driver's side, and 3/4" toe-in on the passenger side

I've never heard of anyone having problems like this with the CRX tie rods and DA knuckles.

Anyways, my question:
Is it possible to tap the inner tie rods for more threads so that the outers can thread on farther? (I thought I read about this before...) Or, does anyone know a shorter outer tie rod taht is able to be used? (I'd rather be able to use what I have, since it's all brand new...)

Thanks in advance.. Please help me get my beast back on the road without destroying my tires anymore

and a picture to get more people into the thread
Old 01-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: DA knuckles, toe-in, and tie rods maxed out (Mr_CRX)

ive not heard of anyone having tie rod issues using DA knuckles.

i do know there are issues when using SiR knuckles, but i doubt thats the case.

were the tie rods OEM?

did you compare?
Old 01-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DA knuckles, toe-in, and tie rods maxed out (Tyson)

got em on the wrong sides?
Old 01-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
were the tie rods OEM?

did you compare?</TD></TR></TABLE>

They're not Honda tie rods, but I'm pretty sure I remember comparing them, and they looked very similar.

I'm pretty sure the inner tie rods were longer though. (It was very late at night and I was pretty frustrated by the time we got to the point of rebuilding the rack, so I dont completely remember)
Is it possible to cut a bit off the end and rethread it farther down the inner rod?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fireant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got em on the wrong sides? </TD></TR></TABLE>
On the right sides.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr_CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Is it possible to cut a bit off the end and rethread it farther down the inner rod?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

sure, why not. seems like a lot of trouble tho, but maybe your only choice now that you bought non OEM parts.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok. I just didnt have $400+ to drop on just the tie rods and UCA's w/ upper ball joints.

I just mainly was concerned about whether threading the inner rod would be safe or if anyone had done it before.

Plus, that seems like a lot less work than dropping the rack again to install new inners. I dont know how you can do it while its on the car. (I'm sure there is a way, but it just doesnt sound like something I want to try and do at this point unless theres no other way)

So, if my toe is off 5/32 on one side, do I need to thread that inner tie rod another 5/32"? (Obviously I'll want to thread it more than required, just incase, but does it work out in proportion like that?)
Old 01-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sure, cut off more than just 5/32. youll want the adjustment +/- anyway. i wouldnt consider it unsafe.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure the place you've taken you car to knows what they are doing. I cant think of any places that measure in 32nds for alignments. Also whether the parts were aftermarket or not shouldn't ever matter. There is no reason a aftermarket tie rod shouldn't fit just as good as a OE one.

Now its very possible you received the wrong parts. As a matter of fact if they are truly off as the shop told you they were, then i would assume the parts you received were wrong. if you have the old parts compare them with whats on the car. hell its not like you can lose your alignment, if they are just run them all the way back in. But even if the inner tie rod is a 1/2 inch longer then its wrong. Total length should be the same. If its not count threads.

Good luck, and let me know what you find.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a long shot, but does anyone know the thread size off hand?
Old 01-30-2006, 04:25 PM

Edit or 14x1.50 Im having a hard time guessing size not seeing it lol

Edit #2: I ment 12x1.50 or 14x1.50
Old 01-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DA knuckles, toe-in, and tie rods maxed out (MENACE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MENACE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you sure the place you've taken you car to knows what they are doing. I cant think of any places that measure in 32nds for alignments. Also whether the parts were aftermarket or not shouldn't ever matter. There is no reason a aftermarket tie rod shouldn't fit just as good as a OE one.

Now its very possible you received the wrong parts. As a matter of fact if they are truly off as the shop told you they were, then i would assume the parts you received were wrong. if you have the old parts compare them with whats on the car. hell its not like you can lose your alignment, if they are just run them all the way back in. But even if the inner tie rod is a 1/2 inch longer then its wrong. Total length should be the same. If its not count threads.

Good luck, and let me know what you find. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I saw the printout myself and it was originally at 1 5/32" and they brought it in an inch to 5/32" . (I forgot and left it there, though, so I can't scan it in)

When I first put the tie rods on, I put them on the same # of turns as the old ones took to come off, plus a couple more (since my car was already toe'd-in from the DA knuckles). We tried to eyeball it in the air, but once the car came off the jackstands, one wheel was REALLY toe'd in... so I adjusted that one in all the way but about 1 turn, and it was decent enough to let me drive home without feeling like I had no control over the car.

The rods are definitely maxed out, and I've already emailed the seller with my concern about possibly receiving the wrong parts. I'll let you guys know what happens..

Thanks for all the quick help so far!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:32 PM

Im willing to bet he lsited the parts for a civic but probley uses the same ones for a accord or somthing. Hell we all know half of those Ebay sellers dont have a clue about most of the stuff they sell.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DA knuckles, toe-in, and tie rods maxed out (MENACE)

Well, the seller finally replied, and said he is going to personally pack up a new set and ship them out to me to make sure I get a new set of the correct inner tie rods. (I'm not sure who he had packaging them up in the first place!)

I got a loaner tap/die set from Autozone tonight, thinking the tierod end was 12x1.5mm, but that didn't fit. It looks like its a 14mm one, and the Autozone set only goes to 12mm

I'm going to swing by Sears tomorrow morning and see if they sell just a single 14x1.5mm die by itself. Even though the shipper is sending me a new set, I'm still gonna give it a shot in rethreading this one, so that I can get my car aligned

I'll keep you updated...

-----------------------
..On a lighter note, this was at the bottom of the thread as a "relevant link"

Relevant Links
St Joseph Hospital
Spine Program. Providing adult and pediatric spine services. http://www.sjo.org

Ads by Google