Notices

d16y8 swap on d16z6 block??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16y8 swap on d16z6 block??

hey is it possible to swap head from a d16z6 to a d16y8 head??? is there anything else i will need??? will the head bolts fit???
Old 01-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d16y8 swap on d16z6 block?? (ef8sleepr)

what you said didn't make sense......you used head twice.....you might want to reword...but yeah the heads are interchangeable
Old 01-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d16y8 swap on d16z6 block?? (gnar kill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gnar kill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what you said didn't make sense......you used head twice.....you might want to reword...but yeah the heads are interchangeable</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah... i ment if the y8 head could be easily bolted on the z6 block???
Old 01-25-2006, 10:47 PM

yeah it will bolt up...but why?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:49 PM

it wont "bolt up" it will fit but your going to have to modify a few things...im not sure if the z6 distributor will fit, if it wont your going to need to rewire the y8 distributor to be obd1, then your going to have to put the z6 cam gear on...big pain in the ***, if you messed up your z6 head i would suggest finding another one unless this one is extremely cheap
Old 01-25-2006, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: d16y8 swap on d16z6 block?? (ef8sleepr)

Also the timing belt covers are different,the d16y8 and the d16z6 ignition maps are completely different,..And what head bolts would you use ? Maybe some z6 bolts with some washers or what? Also the putting the y8 head onto the z6 block will raise the compression..And you'll have to get an adjustable cam gear to get correct timing..
Old 01-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (x_outlaw_x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by x_outlaw_x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it wont "bolt up" it will fit but your going to have to modify a few things...im not sure if the z6 distributor will fit, if it wont your going to need to rewire the y8 distributor to be obd1, then your going to have to put the z6 cam gear on...big pain in the ***, if you messed up your z6 head i would suggest finding another one unless this one is extremely cheap</TD></TR></TABLE>

why do i have to change cam gears???
Old 01-25-2006, 10:59 PM

the y8 one is bigger then the z6 one, and it will ruin timing just trying to start it
Old 01-25-2006, 11:01 PM

because the y8 is bigger then the z6, and it would ruin timing when you are just trying to start the car, you would expletive up that head before you even got to hear it run

edit: dont you hate it when the page doesnt refresh after you post and you post it again
Old 01-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by x_outlaw_x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the y8 one is bigger then the z6 one, and it will ruin timing just trying to start it</TD></TR></TABLE>

how about when they do mini swaps on a crx d16a6 block??? it's a direct bolt on?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:33 PM

ive never built d series so i dont know, but i know that if the 2 gears arent the correct size its going to expletive something up...ive always dealt with b series
Old 01-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by x_outlaw_x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive never built d series so i dont know, but i know that if the 2 gears arent the correct size its going to expletive something up...ive always dealt with b series</TD></TR></TABLE>

ohh i c... hmm... o.k...
Old 01-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ef8sleepr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ef8sleepr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how about when they do mini swaps on a crx d16a6 block??? it's a direct bolt on?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You still need an adjustable cam gear to get the proper timing..
Old 01-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=ef8sleepr]

how about when they do mini swaps on a crx d16a6 block??? it's a direct bolt on?[/QUOTE

its a direct bolt in...

search "mini me" and u will get ALOT of results that will answer all your questions...

as far as the distro, u have to run a DX one (diff pattern) to stay obd1 and like some one mentioned the cam cover is different, other then that everything else is good...
Old 01-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nerologic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nerologic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=ef8sleepr]

how about when they do mini swaps on a crx d16a6 block??? it's a direct bolt on?[/QUOTE

its a direct bolt in...

search "mini me" and u will get ALOT of results that will answer all your questions...

as far as the distro, u have to run a DX one (diff pattern) to stay obd1 and like some one mentioned the cam cover is different, other then that everything else is good...</TD></TR></TABLE>

what cam cover??? the hell you talking about??? why dx??? i don't want to run obd1 yet, i can still run obd0... using my crx si dizzy and other harnesses... i know the dizzy won't fit the d16z6 head unless you modify the dizzy, but the y8 head will, it's a direct bolt on as far as the dizzy goes...

Old 01-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ef8sleepr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what cam cover??? the hell you talking about??? why dx??? i don't want to run obd1 yet, i can still run obd0... using my crx si dizzy and other harnesses... i know the dizzy won't fit the d16z6 head unless you modify the dizzy, but the y8 head will, it's a direct bolt on as far as the dizzy goes...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The plastic cover that covers the cam gear..Yeah you're right the obdo si dizzy bolts right to the Y8 head..But since you hacked it up to fit the Z6 head what are you going to do now? Still run it hacked or get another obdo si/hf dizzy?? Or unless you never had the Z6 head to begin with??
Old 01-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr.speaker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.speaker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The plastic cover that covers the cam gear..Yeah you're right the obdo si dizzy bolts right to the Y8 head..But since you hacked it up to fit the Z6 head what are you going to do now? Still run it hacked or get another obdo si/hf dizzy?? Or unless you never had the Z6 head to begin with??</TD></TR></TABLE>

look, the motor is not even installed on the car yet... the z6 motor is still out of the car... the car is currently running the d16a6 motor with a bad block. i'm going to swap the motor with the d16z6 motor but i was just wondering if the y8 would do a different.... who cares about cam cover, i'm not going to put it on... i'm gonna run obd0 first... the only thing i'm curious about is when they do mini me swaps on crx's with the z6 head... why doesn't the timing go off on that??? are the cam gears the same size between the z6 and a6??? y8 isn't that big of a difference....
Old 01-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

only thing i'm curious about is when they do mini me swaps on crx's with the z6 head... why doesn't the timing go off on that??? are the cam gears the same size between the z6 and a6??? y8 isn't that big of a difference....</TD></TR></TABLE>

The timing is off when doing a d16z6 mine-me also..Off about 2 degrees or 1/2 tooth so you'll need an adjustable cam gear there to..And then the d16y8 is about 4 degrees off..So the best thing to do in either case it to get an adjustable cam gear and adjust it accordingly.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:55 AM

he has a full z6 and hes dropping that in, i talked to him
Old 01-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you use the timing belt of which ever head your putting on. i went from a b7 to a mini-me and didnt have a problem but in your case im not sure, i never heard of anyone having a problem with timing tho...
a friend of mine had a y8 head on an a6 block... ran fine, stock y8 cam gear.

and thats the stupidest thing i ever heard... you run the same obd as the head you have! you dont bolt up an obd2 head on an obd1 block and run an obd0 dizzy with an obd0 ecu/wire harness...

you need to pick obd1 or obd2, IMO, go obd 1, the y8 head will run fine on a p28, you need to get a conversion harness (rywire.com sells complete kits) and convert to obd1... so that way you have the correct o2 for the head your running along with the correct fan switch. dont make your **** all ghetto rigid, do it right so you can get the most power and mpg outta your set up.
the motor needs its correct fuel map, ignition map and a/f ratio
give it to her
Old 01-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HatchEh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchEh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you use the timing belt of which ever head your putting on. i went from a b7 to a mini-me and didnt have a problem but in your case im not sure, i never heard of anyone having a problem with timing tho...
a friend of mine had a y8 head on an a6 block... ran fine, stock y8 cam gear.

and thats the stupidest thing i ever heard... you run the same obd as the head you have! you dont bolt up an obd2 head on an obd1 block and run an obd0 dizzy with an obd0 ecu/wire harness...

you need to pick obd1 or obd2, IMO, go obd 1, the y8 head will run fine on a p28, you need to get a conversion harness (rywire.com sells complete kits) and convert to obd1... so that way you have the correct o2 for the head your running along with the correct fan switch. dont make your **** all ghetto rigid, do it right so you can get the most power and mpg outta your set up.
the motor needs its correct fuel map, ignition map and a/f ratio
give it to her </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i'm saving up for those... i'll eventually run the p28 ecu with the conversion harness and everything... but for now i just want a little vtec action and i don't have any choice but to get the rpm switch, either msd or summit... i just wanted to know why the timing goes off on it?? i'll be using the y8 timing belt, and isn't the same thing as doing a mini me swap on a6 blocks??? instead it's just a z6 block...
Old 01-28-2006, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should be fine following the mini-me procedures, if your in doubt in with what components to use.. always purchase/use the stuff that correlates with the head your using... so in your case your using the y8 head: y8 timing belt, cam, cam gear etc... you MIGHT need the tensioner too depending on how loose/tight the belt sits when you put it on. youll get a feel for it and know whatcha gotta do.

oh and btw... sohc vtec isnt **** lol sorry bro, your gonna have to have optimum fuel maps/ign maps/running condition/and air flow to be able to even notice it.
so id save the money your gonna blow on the MSD switch and just run a p28 with the correct dizzy for that head.

i believe obd-1 and obd-2 plugs/harnesses in the engine bay are the same so they're plug and play.. the only thing different is the harness for the ecu.

obd-0 (pre-OBD) is ALL different..

goodluck bro and if you have any questions just drop me a line on AIM
Old 01-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchEh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should be fine following the mini-me procedures, if your in doubt in with what components to use.. always purchase/use the stuff that correlates with the head your using... so in your case your using the y8 head: y8 timing belt, cam, cam gear etc... you MIGHT need the tensioner too depending on how loose/tight the belt sits when you put it on. youll get a feel for it and know whatcha gotta do.

oh and btw... sohc vtec isnt **** lol sorry bro, your gonna have to have optimum fuel maps/ign maps/running condition/and air flow to be able to even notice it.
so id save the money your gonna blow on the MSD switch and just run a p28 with the correct dizzy for that head.

i believe obd-1 and obd-2 plugs/harnesses in the engine bay are the same so they're plug and play.. the only thing different is the harness for the ecu.

obd-0 (pre-OBD) is ALL different..

goodluck bro and if you have any questions just drop me a line on AIM</TD></TR></TABLE>

which engine harness do i have to change??? i know i have to use the conversion jumper harness for the ecu. and one for the distributor. i also have to use ob1 or ob2 injectors? am i right??? i know mini me isn't the ****, but i already have the motor you know and i don't want to just look at it...
Old 01-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your right, one for the ecu, one for the dizzy, one for the fan switch, and one for the o2 sensor, and it comes with a vtec soleniod jumper to just make it plug and play. Its like $109 for everything on rywire.com plus like $5 shipping. you can make the harnesses yourself but only if you know what your doing and have the time and correct pins/harness clips to make it RIGHT... cuz if not, then your gonna have some ghetto ***/unsafe/unreliable wiring.
the guys name is allen i believe.

Youll then just need the new 4-wire o2 sensor to replace your 1-wire and the correct dizzy to run with that head so vtec is enabled correctly and that your ign maps are squared away.
they sell dizzy's and o2's for pretty cheap... thats just something to consider.

let me know if you need anything else
Old 01-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx...

Quick Reply: d16y8 swap on d16z6 block??