Notices

D16A6, No Spark. Different problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16A6, No Spark. Different problem.

Okay, a lot of people have this issue after their swap.
However, I ran my car for about 3 months+ after my swap finally got wired properly.

1989 Civic Hatchback DX - D15B2 & PM5 (I think?) ECU
1989 CRX Si - D16A6 (Non-Vtec, sure you knew that) & PM6 ECU

During my swap, I:
Used the Si fuel rail harness & parts of the Si Harness to simplify the swap, adding to the DPFI Harness.
Used the Si Dizzy.
Kept the DX tranny, fuel pump, etc.
Grabbed the PM6 Ecu from the CRX Si.
Grabbed the Si dash cluster.

Afterwards, I drove it for a while (enjoying the header and DC Sport short ram intake that came with it).

Burned about a quart of oil a month. (Not bad, right?!)

One day, I was at a friends and popped the hood. (Just to show it off, he asked) The dizzy had backed out a mount bolt completely, and the other two were about 3-4 threads out as well. This was very scary as I realized I had just been running it to 6 grand on the highway on the way there.

I tightened the two I had back down, drove it home, and Loctite'd them all 3 back in with a spare.

Afterwards, I was leaving another friend's house, ran her up to about 4 grand in 1st and 2nd, then hit third. It started to sputter, then I gave it the typical downshift, thinking I was about out of gas.

After trying to start it a few times with a couple fires and nothing at all, I realized I didn't hear the fuel pump kicking on. Must be the pump right?

Spent the next day swapping in an EG fuel pump (kind of a bitch, but not really that bad) and everything seemed fine. Pump kicked on, pressure held in the lines.

After it wouldn't start (and a lot, A LOT of swearing), I realized after pulling the plugs they were drenched in oil and I had no spark.

So then, I replaced my spark plug tube seals. Brakleen'd all the surfaces, checked my valve cover gasket (which I replaced maybe 1000 miles before on my old motor), cleaned my plugs real thoroughly. All was good. Tried to start again, nothing. Pulled the plugs, no spark. Pulled plugs off wires, no spark.

DAMMIT!

Grabbed the dizzy from the D15. Replaced the coil, cap, and rotor (button?).

Tried again, still doesn't start.

I haven't checked to see if I do have spark yet, but I'm guessing I don't. I hear the cylinders compressing (still gonna compression test them just to be sure) and exhaust moving, but the cylinders don't fire.

Any ideas? I'm beyond frustrated.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: D16A6, No Spark. Different problem.

Try a different distributor and check all fuses under your dash... *Note=every single one! There's one there that controls ecu power and I just forgot which one...
Old 05-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you re secured the dizzy did you set the timing or just shove it in? If you didnt time it properly before tightening it back down you could have F*d up all kinds of stuff.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EF_LSVtec
Try a different distributor and check all fuses under your dash... *Note=every single one! There's one there that controls ecu power and I just forgot which one...
i have the d15b2 dizzy, and i swapped the rotor button, cap, and coil out of it. apart from that, i checked all my fuses in the course of wondering WTF could be going on here, and they all checked out. scratching my head...
Old 05-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ThatRicerDaniel
When you re secured the dizzy did you set the timing or just shove it in? If you didnt time it properly before tightening it back down you could have F*d up all kinds of stuff.

the dizzy was still actually attached to the cam, plus i was at a friend's. i just tightened the bolts down and drove it home. drove fine for days... then it all went kaput.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EF_LSVtec
thats where i'd start, and I'd try a known good dizzy. my friends have had non OE brand ones die way too prematurely!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they were both oem i believe, sigh... that's gonna be pricey. anyone got one they'd sell cheap?