Notices

seat belts stuck and won't come out..

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat belts stuck and won't come out..

I did a door-to-pillar seatbelt swap with some belts i took out of an 88 hatch. the belts seem to be jammed up and will lock when i try to pull the belt out. when i took them out of the car i made the mistake of letting them retract all the way back into the mechanism. When i opened up the case theres this little yellow hammer that is constantly causing the belts to lock, i cant find any info on how to fix these... picture for reference... need to fix this before i put them back in. i could just remove the hammer but then they will never lock up in an emergency situation... please help.

Name:  wv3booP.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  40.2 KB
Old 05-11-2013, 04:00 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: seat belts stuck and won't come out..

I believe that the yellow hammer mechanism is not the lock, only a braking detection weight that interacts with the locking mechanism inside the unit. That little plastic gear by itself could never hold a human in place. I have had many of these removed in my shop and they can be a real pain in the a$$. You must try to hold the belt mechanism in it's "as installed" position and gently pull the belt while josling it a bit if nessecary.
If that fails after about 5 minutes, give it to a friend to try; it also may be possible to pull it out in other positions though the car wasn't designed that way, i.e.- if your upside down in an accident you still want the belt to remained locked. Good luck
Old 05-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: seat belts stuck and won't come out..

Originally Posted by Tyler Dirden
I believe that the yellow hammer mechanism is not the lock, only a braking detection weight that interacts with the locking mechanism inside the unit. That little plastic gear by itself could never hold a human in place. I have had many of these removed in my shop and they can be a real pain in the a$$. You must try to hold the belt mechanism in it's "as installed" position and gently pull the belt while josling it a bit if nessecary.
If that fails after about 5 minutes, give it to a friend to try; it also may be possible to pull it out in other positions though the car wasn't designed that way, i.e.- if your upside down in an accident you still want the belt to remained locked. Good luck
well that did it, once i had it completely vertical again, they worked normally. thanks!