Notices

Custom Carb EF

Old 07-03-2006, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Carb EF

Hey guys, the other day I was thinkin what would be a cool project but fairly cheap and fun do to....I was thinking about making a custom intake manifold and bolt up a small 4 barrel holley or edelbrock carb....It really wouldn't be that difficult since i have a mig welder and i think it would be interesting to see what kind of numbers you can get out of it... Also it would be nice not having all those damn wires in the engine bay, haha

I searched to see if it had been done at all, couldn't find anything....Has anyone done this yet and gotten any good results out of it?
Old 07-03-2006, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Custom Carb EF (nappyroots827)

oh, and my idea for the intake manifold is just to make a custom plenum out of steel or aluminum, then take an intake manifold from a 3rd gen accord that had what i like to call the "pre v-tec" haha, it had the dual stage intake manifold, weld the plenum on to that intake manifold, then weld on a d-series flange...ive already checked the runners, they pretty much match up
Old 07-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

jilicrx has done something similar.
It takes quite a bit more than welding skills though. YOu can see it at http://www.zcspeed.com
Old 07-03-2006, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Custom Carb EF (Autoworks)

the biggest problem i see honestly is finding a distributor that while mount to a d-series with vacuum advance, i don't know if this is out there or not....so any input on things like this will be greatly appreciated...once i start the project i will make a thread with step by step photos and what not...but like i said, any input and advice is appreciated!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got a very detailed instructions list on jili's setup in my "Projects to do One Day" file in my office, I want to say there's quite a bit more than your anticipating to do the setup.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Custom Carb EF (Autoworks)

yea the more i sat and thought about it, i realized some of the problems i'd run into, but i think most of them are easily taken care of...I'm sure there are some details im forgetting but yeah, if you could make some kind of write up on the list of stuff he had to do, that would be great
Old 07-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys do know thatthere is a JDM 1.5x which is carbed i have one, dual keihin carbs on a d15b engine, not vtec
Old 07-03-2006, 12:55 PM

reply above was basically what I was going to say

u could just import a jdm carb'd one... good body condition too
Old 07-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Rainman

Default Re: (ghonnaherpalitis)

why make it so complicated? just get an old sohc zc carbed intake and carb..nuff said. then do some jetting and polishing and bore and float work and whallah.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Re: (ghonnaherpalitis)

yea i know there out there, im just looking to do this for a project, something different...plus i hate how honda carbs always have like 30 vacuum lines for emissions and everything...Im looking forward to this because it will be very clean with very little vacuum lines and wiring...because the only sensor i will really have anymore is the coolant temp sensor for the guage, and thats honestly it i think...

Plus nothing says honda more than edelbrock right haha
Old 07-03-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Re: (SIred91)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIred91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why make it so complicated? </TD></TR></TABLE>

because complicated usually means it hasn't been done before and if it has, not many times, and i like a challenge, im not looking for something completely efficient and easy to do here...Id like a challenge and a new project, you know, something different.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:49 PM

Default Re: (sdubfid)

I was thinking about maybe doing it on a mini-me setup, and possibly a 50 shot, but im not much of a fan of nitrous and never really was....So I dunno honestly, at this stage its just an idea, but i think it would be something cool and different....Hey if anything, maybe ill just use the intake manifold i make and turn it into a Fuel Injection setup, those dual stage manifolds are sweet, and so easy to port out too cuz they split in half...
Old 07-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just while we're on this, how hard and what is the general setup if you wanted to turbo the 1.5 dual carb.

Its always something i wanted to try but as its my daily drive and never seen it done i havent got around to it.

Would be nice though.

If you need to get your hands on any hond acarb parts, gimme a shout and i'll have a look in the local scrap yards. Theres loads of carbed cars this side of the water from 1.3 single to 1.6 dual.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:18 PM

Default Re: (Cyclonium)

if your asking if i need carb parts, thats probably a no, cuz i don't wanna use honda carbs cuz like i said earlier, i don't like how they have so many emissions things and other bull crap on them...Im just goin for like a small barebones carb from holley or edelbrock...something around 400 or 500 cfm...But thanks for the input....As to turboing a carbed motor, id heard its much easier to do a drawthrough setup as apposed to a blowthrough setup...just my .02
Old 07-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah i know you wont use the honda carbs but stuff like intake mani, distrib and that.

Best of luck with anyway and keep us updated
Old 07-05-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Re: (Cyclonium)

the intake manifold won't be any good either, cuz like i said earlier, i wanna use the accord dual stage mani and just make a custom plenum and weld the dseries flange to it, so thats outa the question, but the dizzy i might be gettin back with you...first i wanna see if the 3rd gen accord distributor will work, but ill have to check that out first, if not, ill be gettin in touch with you

heres the manifold, im gonna eliminate the top section and make a plenum that bolts onto the middle throttle plate section...if that makes any sense...

Modified by nappyroots827 at 7:01 PM 7/5/2006
Old 07-06-2006, 08:41 AM

Default Re: (nappyroots827)

The honda carbs are a PITA ,and frankly not that good. Pierce manifolds makes a side draft intake for duel webbers. Its a nice intake. You can strip down your distirbutor to make into a inductive pick-up wheel and use that to feed a MSD digital 6. No vacume needed except for power assist breaks.
I've been thru the whole "let's make my own intake" stuff only to find that Mikuni PHH or Webbers are far superior to anything else I've tried and went back to the cast aluminum set up eventhough I've got 80 hours in building my own.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:58 AM

Default Re: (hitman187)

God thats one of the reasons I got into imports they got injectors I HATE carbs, BUT it would be pretty cool to see what kind of numbers it would get.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: (hitman187)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hitman187 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Pierce manifolds makes a side draft intake for duel webbers. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i don't believe they have a dual Weber manifold for the SOHC D-series, only for the DOHC ZC or D16A1
Old 07-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (jlicrx)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1274466

Andy has done it
Old 07-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Rainman

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlicrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i don't believe they have a dual Weber manifold for the SOHC D-series, only for the DOHC ZC or D16A1</TD></TR></TABLE>

what school of honda did you graduate from? all D series mannys are compatable for all D series.

what are you thinking? especialy the dohc zc. its just a dohc d-series!

if I'm wrong then slap me, you usualy know your ****. lol
Old 07-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: (SIred91)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIred91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what school of honda did you graduate from? all D series mannys are compatable for all D series.

what are you thinking? especialy the dohc zc. its just a dohc d-series!

if I'm wrong then slap me, you usualy know your ****. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>
consider yourself slapped - DOHC ZC and D16A1 intake manifolds are not compatible with SOHC D-series - for about the umpteenth time, here is a picture of a SOHC D-series intake gasket on a DOHC ZC intake manifold:

Old 07-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Rainman

D-OH!
Old 07-07-2006, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe this can help.

http://www.d-series.org/forums...23877

Old 07-07-2006, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlicrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
consider yourself slapped - DOHC ZC and D16A1 intake manifolds are not compatible with SOHC D-series - for about the umpteenth time, here is a picture of a SOHC D-series intake gasket on a DOHC ZC intake manifold:
</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIred91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> D-OH! </TD></TR></TABLE>
lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Carb EF