Notices

cumstom side exit exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cumstom side exit exhaust?

anyone have side exit exhaust, coming out in front of the front tire?
Old 09-25-2004, 08:13 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never seen it on a honda and pray i never do.

You may want to check out > Clubsi
Old 09-25-2004, 09:39 PM

Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (mrspeaker)

Infront of the front tire? So youd buy like a 2 piece header, remove the lower piece and just fab up the rest of the exhaust?

I was thinking myself about taking off most of my exhaust, I have the cat (gutted) 1 foot of 2.25" pipe then a large chaerry bomb resonator, the rest of my exhaust is all ghetto'd, was thinking of taking it off after the muffler

I know its ******* loud with just the resonator and it smells when you get out of the car a bit lol, but my exhaust fell off when I smoked a riased manhole and has 3 good posts where its completely ghettod, thinking of ripping it off and just tieing the resonator to that second muffler hanger, dam this sounds like a good ticket experience
Old 09-25-2004, 10:00 PM

Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (sleepercrx90)

You would never pull it off for the street. I doubt that you would be able to pull it off with a cat, unless you want to have a mighty big bend in your exhaust.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full Race A6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have the cat (gutted)...and it smells when you get out of the car a bit</TD></TR></TABLE>

Think of all the carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxide you are breathing, not to mention the ozone.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:03 PM

http://www.ericksracing.com/header.htm
Old 09-25-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Re: (SiRhatchalot)

Side exhaust on a street car??? Not a good idea IMO.

U will smell like exhaust fumes and you'll get high on CO2, get major tickets from the Popol and it's just not something a street car should acquire.

That is my 0.02.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRX T-Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX T-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Side exhaust on a street car??? Not a good idea IMO.

U will smell like exhaust fumes and you'll get high on CO2, get major tickets from the Popol and it's just not something a street car should acquire.

That is my 0.02.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and not only that, your car will be spitting and coughing fireballs the size of a basketball whenever you try to drive around in traffic. it would probably crack windows...

it would be cool to observe someone with this but you would go deaf after just driving down the block. and the attention that you would get from law enforcement would suck bad.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the free, whoever told you that is your enemy

Only if it is Turbo would this even be a viable mod. NA cars need backpressure to some extent. I have seen some NA cars gain power by going with a 2 1/4" over a 2 1/2". If it is turbo, and it's going on a street car it is a pretty bad idea, still gonna be loud. I ran open DP on my old Colt and it was loud. I would try something like this.

Old 09-26-2004, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (CRXBart)

Here comes the backpressure ideas
Old 09-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXBart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only if it is Turbo would this even be a viable mod. NA cars need backpressure to some extent. I have seen some NA cars gain power by going with a 2 1/4" over a 2 1/2". If it is turbo, and it's going on a street car it is a pretty bad idea, still gonna be loud. I ran open DP on my old Colt and it was loud. I would try something like this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would chalk that up to loss of heat, and not backpressure. Backpressure is only useful in 2 stroke engines anyway. You'd have a hard time making the backpressure principle theory work on our high revving engines too. The next stroke is just too quick after the oher to allow time for the pressure wave to reach the combustion chamber again.

Too big an exhaust allows the fumes to cool down too fast. Cold air is slower then hot air, allowing more friction on the exhaust itself thus causing molecules to slow even further, hindering proper passage through the exhaust.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the free, whoever told you that is your enemy
Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (SETI20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SETI20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would chalk that up to loss of heat, and not backpressure. Backpressure is only useful in 2 stroke engines anyway. You'd have a hard time making the backpressure principle theory work on our high revving engines too. The next stroke is just too quick after the oher to allow time for the pressure wave to reach the combustion chamber again.

Too big an exhaust allows the fumes to cool down too fast. Cold air is slower then hot air, allowing more friction on the exhaust itself thus causing molecules to slow even further, hindering proper passage through the exhaust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool thanks for the correction.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (SETI20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SETI20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Too big an exhaust allows the fumes to cool down too fast. Cold air is slower then hot air, allowing more friction on the exhaust itself thus causing molecules to slow even further, hindering proper passage through the exhaust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have officially learned something new.

Anyways, exhaust coming from the front wheel, ugly, loud, and that by far will get you the attention of the cops and **** off everyone who lives in a three block radius of you at least. Now for strip, knock yourself out.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXBart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

cool thanks for the correction. </TD></TR></TABLE>

WOW!!!!

Way to take it in a NON typical H-T style, I give you points for that.

And BTW side exits look badass IMO but they belong on a drag car only.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (kid-honda)

My friend (Casey on here) is putting a 4inch side exit exhaust on his street hatch. But its turbod and i think hes shooting for 500+hp. I rode around with an open dp for like 6 months when my car was boosted...and i never really had any fumes getting into my car. The only time i had problems with that was when the wg was open spilling gases under my hood....which in turn got sucked into the cabin. I wouldnt do it for an NA street car...but if youre going FI i think it would be pretty damn sweet. And set120 was right...it has alot more to do with the loss of heat than backpressure. Of course that loss of backpressure could hurt low rpm driving...but not that much.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (sCeRaXn)

4" exhaust? Why on earth would be need something that big? Rediculous.....
Old 09-26-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (Endless)

I once saw a del sol in my area with what I assumed was a dual exhaust but I couldn't tell for sure cause the pipes exeted out the sides of the rear bumper... It was and interesting Idea but the car was painter baby blue and yellow and the paint was all fugged up by the exhaust...
Old 09-26-2004, 06:43 PM

Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (CRX Si)

Ya I think what Im going to do (because Im cheap) is get a little 3" pipe coming from the downpipe, about 2', then my 3" cherry bomb muffler (looks like a resonator) about 2' back to where the stock exhaust curves over to the passenger side and have it dump out on my side skirt over there, would be cheap, cool and deifnetely ******* loud lol
Old 09-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (Traction)

I run it on my B16 EF, exits in front of the right rear tire. Header to a 2.5" cherry bomb, then 2.5" piping out the side. I've never had a problem with police. Cost me about $10, and its a cheap alternative to open header. Sounds good to me, and doesn't cost any power.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:22 PM

Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (Patch)

^^ YES! I gotta find a place with a 90 degree mandrel bend I guess then

Might do it tomorrow on my 2.25" since the rest all the way back is already ghettod, Ive got a 2.25" 90 degree crush bent on the very end of my exhaust, gonna be sick
Old 09-27-2004, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (Traction)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1000973

Old 09-27-2004, 06:38 AM

Default Re: (Jimmy)

agreed dont want to see it
Old 09-27-2004, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (Endless)

Well like i said....hes shooting for 500+hp so itll just help him get there easier and faster. Hes also running a t3/t66 so hes got quite a bit of turbo under there.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (busychild)

IT's not in front of the front tire, but here is what I did to my old beater for a race exhaust. It hung a little low, but after these pics, I fabbed up a hanger to keep it tight. Worked out great!

Old 09-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

VTECJUN's awesome set up...

Old 09-27-2004, 10:39 AM

Default Re: cumstom side exit exhaust? (yellowcrx1991)

Dont worry about carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxide..u gotta die sometime.. i think i would be great.