Notices

CRX won't crank with key, but will push start? HELP!!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX won't crank with key, but will push start? HELP!!

All of a sudden my 91 CRX DX won't crank with key. Engine Doesn't turn over, No sound at all, not even a clicking sound. All the dash lights come on as normal. I can push start it and it runs perfect. Battery has voltage, the wire to the starter looks good. Please help.. Thanks
Old 06-15-2008, 05:38 PM

Default Re: CRX won't crank with key, but will push start? HELP!! (beco)

Starter.
Check connections (power and signal) on starter. Test starter. Replace starter.

Modified by jdmcars_dot_com at 10:07 PM 6/15/2008
Old 06-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: CRX won't crank with key, but will push start? HELP!! (jdmcars_dot_com)

You may have shorted your fusebox. I did that before when I was wiring up my power window.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CRX won't crank with key, but will push start? HELP!! (thevtecnician)

check the clutch switch. the stopper in the pedal gets old and falls apart.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the free, whoever told you that is your enemy
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: CRX won't crank with key, but will push start? HELP!! (Disco Monkey)

Could be a bad ground too. I had that happen once after doing a swap. It was good enough to run the car, but not enough to run the starter.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:39 PM

I was thinking grounds. I've had a weak battery ground and it wouldn't do anything. Even if it doesn't solve it, it's the cheapest easiest thing to look at.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the gound @ t-stat housing. and other engine grounds. (run your own ground if necessary)

Check the starter signal wire to the starter. Check for voltage when the key is turned to the start position.

If you have voltage at the signal wire and from the battery, and your engine grounds are good, then your starter is no good.

If starter has voltage to the large cable from the battery and has the proper grounds but has no voltage @ the signal wire then check output from the ign. switch. No signal and your switch is bad. If it has voltage from the switch and not to the starter then check your wiring.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRX won't crank with key, but will push start? HELP!! (sgallagher)

If your battery is not charged then it will not have enough power to turn the engine over.

Make sure your battery is fully charged before any further diagnosis.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRX won't crank with key, but will push start? HELP!! (sgallagher)

Just like sgallagher and Disco Monkey said.

I just had the same problem last friday. I checked the starter by disconnecting the 2pin plug from the distributor. I disconnected the small wire that leads to the starter solenoid. I then ran a jumper wire from the solenoid, to the (+) of the battery to check the starter is good, and it was. A simple wire with alligator clips is what I used.

Anyway, with my car, it was the clutch interrupt switch. An easy way to check that is to first, MAKE SURE THE CAR IS IN NEUTRAL (if you didn't unplug the 2pin connector from the distributor)
Then, go underneath the dash, look up the clutch pedal, wayyyy up. A cylinder looking switch is there. Depress the button that makes contact with the clutch pedal, and try to turn the car over. If it does, then that's the problem. I was in a hurry to get to work, so did a quick fix. I put a bolt through a small sqaure opening on that part of the clutch pedal where it contacts the switch, and tightened it on the other side with the nut. That worked. I'd do pics, but getting decent shots would be unlikely.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:46 PM
bdp
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: CRX won't crank with key, but will push start? HELP!! (JustJesus)

I learned the hard way with a small Ground wire, took me about 3 days to figure it out! lol

Just be sure to triple check everything, take your time have a friend help as well.

good luck
Old 04-27-2009, 04:23 PM
New User

Default Re: CRX won't crank with key, but will push start? HELP!!

Little help? I have a manual transmission '94 Accord Ex with similar symptoms. Yesterday morning I turned the key in the ignition and ..nothing.

I was able to push start the car by popping the clutch and have been able to drive it to a few places without any adverse symptoms but have to push start it each time after I turn the key off.

I checked all the fuses in interior and in the engine compartment and they're good. Removed the battery and starter and had them checked at Autozone, both checked out as good. I noticed the little plastic pad that pushes against the clutch pedal ignition switch had broken off from old age so I went to a Honda dealerships and replaced it but that did nothing.

Should I ground or jump the clutch pedal switch and how exactly do i do that?
Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can bypass the switch by simply deleting the switch and twisting the two wires together. The only problem you may have is that your car will start without the clutch engaged.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your key switch might be bad or lose i had the same issue with my 90 si
Old 04-28-2009, 06:47 PM

Definitely check your clutch safety switch, for integrity. If it looks good, then try to bypass it. Just make sure your out of gear when you do. You'll be able to crank it up with it in gear. If that's not it, check for grounds, power, and fuses. I've had many a blown fuse be the culprit and coincidently the part that kicked my butt for a while until i figured out that was it. The Navy always taught me, check fuses, circuit breakers, and power/grounds. I worked on E2-C Hawkeyes in the Navy. I still to this day, sometimes forget to check my fuses, but it's not very often.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:39 AM
New User

Thought it was the clutch pedal switch because a bypass started the car but the new switch I installed didn't help. The actual culprit was the little plastic pad that pushes in the plunger on the clutch pedal switch which is barely visible up inside the hinge bracket for the clutch pedal. The plastic pad was $2.25 at the Honda dealership and I got it into place by sticking it to the end of a long Philips screwdriver with double sided mounting tape then pushing in the clutch half way and threading it through the small opening. It was really tricky. I had my head in the floorboard and was wearing a headlamp so I could see up in the dark area inside the clutch pedal bracket but it was worth it. Hope this helps someone out there, it had me stumped.
PS - I took pics but don't know how to upload them here from my computer as it is only giving me an option to insert a pic from a URL in the post.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Trial User

Default Re: CRX won't crank with key, but will push start? HELP!! (thevtecnician)

Originally Posted by Disco Monkey
check the clutch switch. the stopper in the pedal gets old and falls apart.
Yes!
This stopper seemed to be made of wax. Its the same part that is used on the brake pedal to keep the brake lights from staying on. So if you have either of these problems get at least 3 of these parts because if one goes the others are soon to follow as was my case.

(If you notice some blue/black crayon looking material on your floor underneath your feet) BINGO!

Now the clutch pedal has a stop but the switch is farther up the pedal arm. If you get on your back on the floor underneath your steering column with you feet sticking out of the door you will be able to do this and save a minimum of $70 (starter + core) not including labor if you can't DIY.

If you feel the switch button, then directly across from that, up the cultch pedal arm there is a small protrusion. If you feel a hole then I'm golden. If you have that stop in there then you better keep troubleshooting. (Don't take stop out because if it's the old original then it will just crumble and now you have 2 problems.)

P. S. I had to go through too much (registration process) just to post this helpfully tidbit of info, but if it helps that 1 diligent Honda owner then it was worth while. Holla!
Old 06-23-2016, 12:04 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by brian5888
Thought it was the clutch pedal switch because a bypass started the car but the new switch I installed didn't help. The actual culprit was the little plastic pad that pushes in the plunger on the clutch pedal switch which is barely visible up inside the hinge bracket for the clutch pedal. The plastic pad was $2.25 at the Honda dealership and I got it into place by sticking it to the end of a long Philips screwdriver with double sided mounting tape then pushing in the clutch half way and threading it through the small opening. It was really tricky. I had my head in the floorboard and was wearing a headlamp so I could see up in the dark area inside the clutch pedal bracket but it was worth it. Hope this helps someone out there, it had me stumped.
PS - I took pics but don't know how to upload them here from my computer as it is only giving me an option to insert a pic from a URL in the post.
Originally Posted by boostedmonkey
Definitely check your clutch safety switch, for integrity. If it looks good, then try to bypass it. Just make sure your out of gear when you do. You'll be able to crank it up with it in gear. If that's not it, check for grounds, power, and fuses. I've had many a blown fuse be the culprit and coincidently the part that kicked my butt for a while until i figured out that was it. The Navy always taught me, check fuses, circuit breakers, and power/grounds. I worked on E2-C Hawkeyes in the Navy. I still to this day, sometimes forget to check my fuses, but it's not very often.
Yes, yes, yes.
CHECK THIS FIRST!
Its the easiest and least expensive fix.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:47 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dead tread, last post was in 09. 94
Old 03-26-2022, 10:07 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by sgallagher
Check the gound @ t-stat housing. and other engine grounds. (run your own ground if necessary)

Check the starter signal wire to the starter. Check for voltage when the key is turned to the start position.

If you have voltage at the signal wire and from the battery, and your engine grounds are good, then your starter is no good.

If starter has voltage to the large cable from the battery and has the proper grounds but has no voltage @ the signal wire then check output from the ign. switch. No signal and your switch is bad. If it has voltage from the switch and not to the starter then check your wiring.
Old 03-26-2022, 10:08 AM
Trial User

hey guys I have a stock 91 crx with d15b2 I have power to starter and button but won’t start or push start this has me confused and I could use some help.