Notices

CRX Jdm b16a Crank Pulley question

Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CRX Jdm b16a Crank Pulley question

Howdy,

Forgot to mention, my crankshaft is advanced one tooth, supposively the only reason its running is because the camshafts are lined up on time. Doing some retiming as well

I'm changing my timing belt tomorrow. From the info I seen, when I line up the crank and cams to TDC, when reinstalling the crank pulley, theres suppose to be a white line and red line on the crank pulley.

Well my crank pulley is a little rusty and it has 3 notched and no red or white. Well red rust?? So what I need to know, out of those three notches, what notch is suppose to line up with the lower timing cover tdc marking?

I'm guessing the middle notch? Meaning the left and right one are the + and - 2 degrees you can adjust the distributor with?

This my first time doing some timing on the car. I'm gonna be having some help of course.

Any advice, articles on how to which I can't find besides them draining radiator fluid and oil and taking off heads before they get to the point, just need to replace timing belt, is appreciated.

Thank you H-T
Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CRX Jdm b16a Crank Pulley question

There should be 3 notches together, and one notch by itself a little bit away from the group of 3.

The single notch is for mechanical timing, this gets lined up with the pointer on the timing cover.

The set of 3 marks is for ignition timing when using a timing light.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I used the timing light, the three notches don't even come close to the timing cover mark. I mean theres nothing else there to line it up with. I can point it at the alternator?

The three notches are about 1-2 inches away from the line with the distributor fully retarded meaning the three notches are facing up pointing towards the hood. Meaning the three notches aren't able to reach the tdc mark on timin cover. As I start advancing, the notches head back pointing to the firewall .

Cool so there is an extra notch. I'll make sure to line it up.

The car has little to no death ping, distributor fully retarded. Gets pretty bad as the car gets advanced
Old 05-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were lining the set of 3 up with the pointer, then it SHOULD run like crap, it's not even close, it should run a hell of a lot better when you time it properly.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Align the white, single mark, up when doing anything mechanical. Like timing belt.

For ignition timing,
There are [usually] FOUR TOTAL notches on the crank pulley. They are grouped something like this (looking at the crank from the driver's side fender):

Group of 3: "ignition timing" marks. usually red.
Single mark: Top Dead Center (TDC) mark. Usually white. Used for "mechanical" timing.

Is your timing light adjustable? If so, there are 2 different methods of setting the timing.
METHOD 1:
With your timing light SET TO 0, you will align the FIRST SET OF MARKS (group of 3) with the point on the timing covers. Rotate your distributor to do this, as usual. Try to align the middle mark. This is essentially the same way as outlined in the factory service manuals.

METHOD 2:
With your timing light SET TO THE VALUE SPECIFIED IN THE MANUAL, you will align THE TDC MARK with the arrow on the timing covers. Again, rotate your distributor to do this.