Notices

A couple noob questions about my EF

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple noob questions about my EF

Hello, i've been browsing the forums for a couple years but never posted due to the fact I didn't have a Honda. Well, I finally got a solid 1991 Civic DX the other day, and couldn't be happier with it. If it wasn't for the ice storm that turned into a snow storm over the past few hours, i'd go get some pics to show you guys. Seeing I just went from being a DSM owner, some of my questions may be pretty retarded and noobish, but please try to cope because I still have to get all the diamond star demons out of my system. Before anyone says anything, I have searched and tryed to understand everything the best I can, but can't find exact answers.

First question-What motor does my '91 DX have? I know this is a pretty basic question, but I haven't been able to find an exact answer for the life of me. I've come to the conclusion that it's either the D15b2 or D15b7, but I need some input to be sure exactly which one it is.

Second question-Can I turbo a D15 motor without first performing the DPFI-->MPFI conversion and not have any problems getting the motor to run right? I realize there's various D16 motors that are easy to swap in and make much more power with forced induction, and I realize that MPFI is the way to go for power, but its more of a curiosity thing. To top it off i'm still new to Honda motors and the D15 is suppose to be a good motor to learn on. I seen someone on Homemadeturbo.com did a turbo set-up on a D15 with DPFI, but it didn't have a lot of detail.

Third question-Does my car have the chipable ECU? I heard that some Honda EF ECU's can be chipped and some can't. This might not even be remotley true, please correct me if im wrong.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I hope I can clean up enough snow to take some pics of the EF tommorow. I went from an automatic 2nd gen non-turbo DSM with bolt-on's and free mods to my bone stock (not for too long) '91 Honda, and I couldn't be any happier.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A couple noob questions about my EF (Spleen)

[QUOTE=Spleen]
Third question-Does my car have the chipable ECU? I heard that some Honda EF ECU's can be chipped and some can't. This might not even be remotley true, please correct me if im wrong.

QUOTE]

what year is your car?better yet take out the ecu and post some pic up.its not that they cant be chiped its just some ecus like 88-89 si ecu have romless ecu.meaning it can be chip but thats a ton more work to do.cause they dont have 28 pin rom.