Notices

Coolant Question???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Question???

As some of you may know, I work at a parts store part-time. We got a new shipment of antifreeze in a few days ago and it is about to replace all of the antifreeze we have in stock. Dex-Cool (orange) and reg (green) made by Prestone and the other suppliers, including our store brand.

On the jug it says for "all makes and models, any color" meaning you will no longer need to use Dex-cool or green. It is now universal. I was just wondering what everyone thought about that. It says that its a new formula. I knew that there was a difference in between the 2, but I never knew what the difference was, besides the color.

I knew that people who had to use dex-cool could ONLY use dex-cool and the people that used the regular green anti-freeze could change over, but couldn't mix the two. It says that it is good for topping of cars too.

Well, this guy came in with a Cadillac, yesterday and he was leaking from somewhere. He bought this stuff (because Prestone sent it as a replacement for all antifreeze, green or orange) along with stuff to fix his car, and flushed and refilled his system and now he says his car doesn't run right. It keeps running hot and the overflow bottle bubbling over. Either He didn't do something right (which is possible, he was a dumb ***) or this new stuff doesn't do what its suppose to.
Any comments.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Coolant Question??? (T-Mo)

Umm, did he fix the leak?

Just adding a different coolant obviously isnt going to fix anything.

As for the new coolant, does it have a name? Brand? Link?
Old 07-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All of the companys like Prestone, our Advance brand and other companys too. I found a link about it from Prestone here:

http://www.prestone.com/news

EDIT: I couldn't link it but, it says "Prestone Launches Universal Antifreeze...."
Old 07-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (T-Mo)

most antifreeze needs to be mixed with water in order to cool properly. he might have just filled the car up with pure antifreeze, which would make it run hot.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MatHadder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MatHadder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most antifreeze needs to be mixed with water in order to cool properly. he might have just filled the car up with pure antifreeze, which would make it run hot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

unless its pre-diluted.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Re: (5litereater)

He came back the same day?

Did you sell him some kind of "leak seal"?

most of those "leak seals" require the car to be completly cool. almost cold before putting it in, if he just went home put it in then returened then he may have created a block/clog somewhere causing the boiling (bubbling out of the res.)

as far as the dex-cool & "green" theres not too much diffrence but i wouldnt trust the new product, I would just use water if i had a leak. Why waste the $$ on coolant.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Re: (90DX)

most likey the retard didnt bleed the system on a big car like a cadillac its really easy to get some really big air pockets in the cooling system and it will very quickly and intermitteningly overheat.

I see it everyday at work.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not about what I sold him for all of the people saying that. He had a leaking hose which he replaced and came back the next day.
I am asking what people think of the new stuff made by Prestone and the other company's:
Quoted from Prestone:

Prestone® Launches Universal Antifreeze for All Makes, Models, Colors

Retailers, Distributors Benefit from Fewer SKUs and Price Points

DANBURY, Conn., June 10, 2004 – The current antifreeze market has become cluttered and confusing for customers and consumers alike. There are a plethora of formulas, all arriving on shelves in various colors and for different makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. With multiple price points and innumerable SKUs, the antifreeze/coolant market has become nothing short of perplexing and burdensome. Prestone – a Honeywell brand – is responding to this issue with a solution – the NEW Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant, compatible with ANY antifreeze/coolant used in ANY make or model automobile or light duty truck on the road today.

The new formula is compatible with ALL types of antifreeze/coolant on store shelves – including conventional silicated technology, organic acid technology and hybrid technology coolants. The new Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant has a patented carboxylate technology that carries a traditional colored liquid contained in the recognized Prestone yellow bottle. It can be added to any antifreeze/coolant that is currently in any domestic or foreign car or light duty truck’s system – regardless of its color – and when added to any extended life coolant will provide extended life properties up to five years or 150,000 miles.1

“Customers were becoming overwhelmed by the numerous varieties of antifreeze/coolant they were carrying in order to meet consumer coolant needs, which led to higher inventory costs and lower returns on their investments,†said John King, Prestone Product Manager. “The new Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant allows our customers to have fewer price points, as well as fewer antifreeze SKUs to keep track of on their shelves, in their warehouse and when re-ordering. The formula is easy to understand, and will help bring back motorists that converted to do-it-for-me (DIFM) consumers when the antifreeze/coolant market became crowded and complex. These consumers can now be confident that this universal formula will be compatible with their vehicle when flushing and filling, or just topping off.â€

Prestone is also manufacturing a 50/50 mixture of the new Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant, which is strictly intended for topping off. It features the precise factory-fill blend used by most major auto manufacturers – 50 percent antifreeze concentrate for temperature and corrosion protection, and 50 percent de-mineralized water for vital heat transfer. Like the fully concentrated formula, this product can be added to any vehicle’s cooling system, and will mix with all varieties of formulas.

“The Prestone brand is giving peace of mind to both customers and consumers,†added King. “With our new universal formula, customers know how to advise consumers on what to use for their cooling system needs. All they need to remember is to trust the yellow bottle – the new Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant.â€
Old 07-18-2004, 10:48 PM

Default Re: (T-Mo)

coolant colors....orange=long life or long lasting..green=regular...i dunno about the new prestone product but if its better than the rest ill try it...who makes the best coolant?
Old 07-19-2004, 05:46 AM
Banned

Default Re: (spaceman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spaceman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who makes the best coolant?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda.

The JDM stuff is better y0.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM states that it will void warrenty on cars that are not using "dex-cool" coolant.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:59 AM

Default Re: (crx_88_si)

I used the orange stuff once and the car over heated and boiled in the reserve tank. after this happened I changed back to green and changed my thermastate and it runs fine now?
I don't know whats up witht he orange stuff?

Ben