Notices

Clean starter or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean starter or replace?

I have a 91 DX, stock. I burn oil so I use 20W-50 oil in the summer. I know the thicker oil wears on the starter. The starter is a Honda dealer part -- about 6 years old. I have no mechanical skill and don't even own my own tools. I have a very reasonable mechanic who happens to also own an EF.

In january of this year i had problems starting -- especially in the cold mornings. Then the problem went away. (come to think of it, the problem went away after putting the new battery in)

Now early last week i again had a great deal of problem starting the cold engine. I often resorted to kick starting it. But then the problem went away. And now for the past few days it's been starting up. Sometimes on the first try.

Before i pay for another starter from the dealership i'd like to explore options. I've read elsewhere where some have found that they needed nothing more than a little maintenance. A little maintnenance and the starter was just fine for years.

I read about people taking the starter apart and replace the brushes. Brushes cost approximately 7 dollars. And the labor is relatively easy.

Maybe it'd benefit me to have maintenance done on the starter regardless.

I also read of someone doesn't ever buy new starters for EFs. He says that you can simply replace the worn parts on a used starter and they'll almost always work just fine.

My starter does still work fine on occaision. So i suspect that it's not completely shot. I'm wondering if it's possible to just fix it instead of replacing it. Can i get by with just having a little maintenance.

I understand that autozone will test a battery and a starter for free.

The Problem which i have:

1. I turn the key and the engine does not turn. There is no crank over. A faint 'click' noise is heard and nothing else.

2. I turn the key and the engine does not turn. There is no crank over. A faint 'click' noise is heard and nothing else.

3. I take the key out. The automatic seatbelt adjusts. Put it in again. I turn the key and a faint 'click' noise is heard.

4. I turn the key and the engine does not turn. There is no crank over. A faint 'click' noise is heard and nothing else.

5. I take the key out. Put it in again. I turn the key and it fires right up. It's running fine.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Clean starter or replace?

It sounds like the solenoid is not kicking out to start the car. First I would take the starter off and take it to Advanced Auto or Auto Zone have it tested for free. They will tell you if the starter itself is any good. If it tested out fine, you might have a problem with the power going to the starter or the actual wire that goes into the solenoid It's a black wire with a white stripe with a small female connector on the end of it.

I would almost put money that it's the solenoid going out. The solenoid is the little mechanism that pushes the wheel out into the flywheel to turn the crankshaft over. It is on top of the starter itself.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the feedback, dephtone!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem, good luck hope you find out what the problem is. Pm me if you got any other questions.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE:

First my mechanic, Javier, tested the battery. It was weak.

'9.4 volts' or something, I think.

Then my mechanic determined that the starter's 'connectors weren't touching.' So i went out and got another starter.

When i came back with the starter my mechainc, Javier, pulled everything out of my car. Upon close examination he discovered that they sold me the wrong starter. (I believe they sold me the one for an automatic trans instead of the one for a manual.)

Everything was pulled out of my car. So the junior mechanic drove me in his car to a shop for another starter.

But the shop didn't have the reman which would fit my model. So we opted to have mine remanufactured/refurbished.

It so happens that this was one of two local shops in North Philly that rebuild starters. (and maybe even more shops that i don't know about)

they refurbished mine for 55 dollars. it took them only an hour and a half.

We returned to my mechanic. He dropped in the starter. It now seems to be starting fine.

(I'll keep you posted as to whether it continues to work fine.)

Thanks again to Dephtone.