Notices

Car won't start after driving!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start after driving!

So if I drive just 10 minutes from my house to the gas station, when i go to try and start my car i sometimes have to wait 30 minutes to an hour for it to start again. Even today, i started my car in the garage and let it run for 2 minutes, shut it off then immediately tried starting it up again and it wouldnt start. It has brand new spark plugs, brand new distributor, new main relay and new ECT sensor. The car cranks and cranks but wont start. Some times when i turn the key it takes about 2-3 seconds for the motor to actually start cranking. Could it be the battery? Car starts fine in the mornings when I get up.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car won't start after driving!

Plugs are also gapped correctly
Old 08-31-2014, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your battery should be okay if your car is cranking and cranking, and you got it started. You can simply test your battery and alternator though with a voltage meter. I'd do that just work your way down the list.

Make sure your car is getting spark.
Check fuel pressure
You said main relay is good, but do you hear it come on for about 2 seconds once you turn the key? If not could be the fuel pump or that main relay could be on its way out. Did you buy it brand new or from a junk yard. Check the solder joints on it.
Also you never said anything about your ignition wires, check for spark if your not getting spark could may be bad ignition wires. Even though dizzy is good if the ignitions wires are corroded or really bad could not be giving you the spark you need.
To me though it sounds like some electrical issue like after you car warms up a contact expands not getting a proper contact or something somewhere. Cause you say it starts up fine in the morning when it colder out, but after you drive it and it warms up you have the problems.

There is people on here who could probably give you more info, but for the meantime. Start diagnosing things, and checking things off that seem to be working fine so you don't replace **** you don't have too. If you dont know how to diagnose problems. Youtube has a bunch of vids showing you. That's what I been doing and have learned alot.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your main relay.... visually inspect for cracks in the solder connections.... next test your temp sensor... and dont forget to clean and tighten all grounds.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From what you described though..... this is what you should do... let the engine run and warm up... when it dies, and wont restart turn off the key wait a second or 2, then turn it to the on position... do you hear the pump priming? If not test the pump circut on the main relay.... with a test light of course... (you should already have this before begining) if you have power on the main then check the ground foor the pump. If you do hear the pump priming then move to testing injectors to see if you get trigger pulse.. (will need someone to crank the motor while testing) if all is good and car still wont start... disconnect the temp sensor and try again... by the way b4 i forget.. is it throwing any codes?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No codes at all.

I hear the fuel pump priming every time I go and try to start it.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And on a B16 Head the temp sensor is under the vtec solenoid correct?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya under the dizzy on the t-stat housing... 2 wire plug.... red w/white and green w/white.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you check for injector pulse?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be a LOT of things... the long starts can just be bad grounds.... takes a few minutes to clean the contacts... as for not starting when hot, i would blame the ignitor in the distrib, the main relay, or perhaps a fuel related issue.

just start eliminating parts without spending money
Old 09-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you replaced the fuel filter?

Next time it won't start, spray starter spray in the TB and see if it tries to kick over. If it does, you know it's fueling issue. If it doesn't, you know it's a spark issue.