Notices

car just suddenly died???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car just suddenly died???

I have a 90 civic si hatch with a bone stock 91 b18a for roughly 3 years now.

This has never happen to me before, just driving along slowing down to a stop light step on the clutch and then brake, next thing I know all the lights on the cluster came on (what the hell) the engine died. I let it rolled and turn to the side tried cranking it a couple of times but no good. So I had to go out and used a wire to start the car at the starter.

Thought it was the main relay borrowed one of my buddies from his DA and replaced it, went to the store and it happen again at another stop light but luckily it crank right over then it bogged and died (crap) quickly I turned the key again (yes) it started right up and started to bogging again so I pulled the e-brake let my foot off the brake moved it over and punch the accelerator peddle. As the RPM went up it bogged till like 3500 RPM (damn it) so I gave it a little more VRRROOOMMMMMM gave it a little to much the old man next to me turn over and gave me a you stupid idiot death look, sorry old man.

I kept an eye on the RPM as I go to a stop and it drops below the idle RPM at 900 and surges up and down but not all the time. Even though I used the accelerator pedal to have the RPM stay at 1200 it still surges up and down about 2 to 3 hundred.

I'm not sure what it is but tomorrow I plan to check the:
Air filter
Fuel filter
Vacuum lines for leaks
Alternator
Battery
And whatever I might think is the problem

Has this happen to anyone before or may have an idea what might causing this?

Thanks